[Merch] Evangelion book review blog

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

Re: [Merch] Evangelion book review blog

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:18 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I had no idea the Asuka one was the same book but revised till I read your post. Helped me out there. ^_^

I'm so glad the review was helpful for you, and I hope you enjoy the book! :D

View Original PostJäeger wrote:What does Chronicle Illustrations add to my collection? Are they exclusive?

Hopefully my review that kuribo-04 linked in the previous post clarifies things for you, but if you still have further questions after that, feel free to ask me. I'm happy to help!
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:53 pm

Just wanted to say thanks as always for your book review blog—it's always fun to give a reread in downtime (especially because I hope to make some Eva book purchases in the future, it helps me clarify which ones I'd prefer :asuka_thumbsup: )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:16 pm

Thanks for your kind words, SSD! I hope whichever books you choose will bring you much joy! :asuka_happy:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:31 am

My copy of Evangelion Chronicle Illustrations arrived! It's great.
I did not expect the glossy, reflective look of the cover. Really catches your eye.

I realized how I would really wanna see the hidden Rei sketch after seeing the Asuka one. It's a shame it's not included.

Literary Eagle, could you take a pic of it if you have time at some point? I would really appreciate it. :misato_itadakimasu:

To not just ask for something, here's some pics from me, but I dunno if they do it justice. The book looks better in person lol.

SPOILER: Show

Just repeating myself, but that foldout looks so good in person. The book is really big, so that made it a little harder to handle, since the foldout triples its width.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Sorry for the delay, kuribo-04! I was really busy this week. Here are pictures of the hidden Rei sketch (this book is too big for my scanner, so I apologize for the terrible photography):

The photos don't do it justice... the sketch looks way cooler in person! By the way, I'm bad at technology, so if the pictures don't show up properly for you, please copy the image locations and open them in a new tab. And if that still doesn't work, you can just PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you that way. Sorry about this. -o-;

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Your images are broken, unfortunately :(
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:58 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:Sorry for the delay, kuribo-04! I was really busy this week.

Oh, don't worry at all! No need to hurry.
I'm thankful you took the pictures at all. My (annoying) completionist urge can relax lol.

Like Blockio said the images are broken, but opening them in another tab works perfectly fine!

About the sketch itself, like I thought it's in a color other than black, like the Asuka one, which looks pretty. But, unless there's some white balance thing going on, that's greenish right? I thought they were gonna with a more obvious blue for Rei.

Also something I've noticed, or guess I never thought too much about, these sketches leave shadow placement very open. The process from sketch to finished illustration reminds a lot of key animation frames to finished images in a film, but unless I'm remembering wrongly, shadows and all details are all placed during animation. I guess since it's non-moving illustrations they have more liberty in that sense and leave some things for later.

Thanks again!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:50 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Your images are broken, unfortunately :(

Sorry about that! If you copy the image locations and open them in another tab, they will work. I suck at technology. -o-;

kuribo-04 wrote:About the sketch itself, like I thought it's in a color other than black, like the Asuka one, which looks pretty. But, unless there's some white balance thing going on, that's greenish right? I thought they were gonna with a more obvious blue for Rei.

Yeah, the sketch shifts between silver and minty green in the light. I thought they would have gone with blue as well, but nope. Heh.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:39 pm

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:Yeah, the sketch shifts between silver and minty green in the light. I thought they would have gone with blue as well, but nope. Heh.

Nice. I checked the Asuka one and it's just red haha. Went back to basics.

What surprised me is that the Asuka one has this reflective silver cover (not the sketch). On amazon they just depicted it with a white BG (I mean you'd have to fake it to communicate what the cover looks like with a digital picture).

Really all I can think of when I see it is old collectible cards from when I was a kid, that tried being as shiny as technology allowed lol.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:26 pm

Might I ask if you're interested in scanning some of these books? In preparation for the next movie I thought we'd get around to translating relevant stuff. Of course most of it is not actually new or even relevant, tons of artwork and all, so I'm generally more interested in interviews, supplemental sources etc.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:17 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Might I ask if you're interested in scanning some of these books? In preparation for the next movie I thought we'd get around to translating relevant stuff. Of course most of it is not actually new or even relevant, tons of artwork and all, so I'm generally more interested in interviews, supplemental sources etc.

Hmm, I'd say it depends. If you have a request for something specific that's quick and easy to do (such as a 2 or 3 page interview from a particular book), I'd be happy to help out with that! However, if we're talking about scanning whole books, or big chunks of books, then unfortunately I would have to say no.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:07 pm

Thanks for your response. That is actually great to hear, because I don't think we're really looking to get whole books scanned, not at least when they're mostly recycled information or artwork anyway. I'm still putting together that list, and interviews for the most part are just a couple of pages long, so it can definitely work. No specific requests right now, I was thinking of just listing stuff and leaving it for people to scan/translate, while also trying to organize the translators we do have. It's not *all* that much stuff anyway and thankfully it is mostly already in text somewhere.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:17 pm

Okay, cool! Yeah, if it's simple stuff like that, I'd be happy to assist. ^_^

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:49 pm

Thanks as always for your work. I'm not making any specific requests for scans or pictures yet, but you can see some of the stuff I've already collated here. Generally speaking, I haven't looked into boooks proper yet or even really re-read your thread - it's mostly online links so far. I skimmed through some of your posts here and realized at least four books had already been recently acquired by others. Well, once we get things more organized I'll see if we need your help with anything. I'll probably make some sort of list for "things not available online" or something when I have the time - which might be a while. Thanks again, be well.

post/911908/Untranslated-Material-Compendium/

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:33 am

Wow, that's an impressive undertaking. Thanks for all your hard work! (And thanks to your translators and everyone else who is working on this as well!)

Sure, feel free to let me know when you've got a specific request. This is an exciting project! ^_^

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Hey Literary Eagle, just wanted to say that over the years in my random Eva research, I've often wound up on your blog and it's always super helpful. Love your entries. ^_^
Après moi le déluge!

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:23 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Hey Literary Eagle, just wanted to say that over the years in my random Eva research, I've often wound up on your blog and it's always super helpful. Love your entries. ^_^

Hello, Axx°N N.! Thanks for your kind words. I'm so glad to know that my blog has helped you over the years. I still have many more Evangelion books left to review (and I'm sure there will be more coming out due to the recent movie), so maybe it's going to take me a few more years to finish, ha ha! :D

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 pm

Hey, you might be interested in this one:

thread/20788/Books-End-of-Evangelion-Psalms/

Additionally, I'm wondering if you could scan the seiyuu interview from Evangelion Forever, particularly Ogata. Translations are really picking up.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:32 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Hey, you might be interested in this one:

thread/20788/Books-End-of-Evangelion-Psalms/

That's the book The End of Evangelion: Boku to Iu Kigou, which I reviewed on my blog six years ago. ^_^ The review is here: https://literaryeagle.tumblr.com/post/103954991119/for-my-eighth-evangelion-book-review-here-is-the

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Additionally, I'm wondering if you could scan the seiyuu interview from Evangelion Forever, particularly Ogata. Translations are really picking up.

Sure, I can scan the Ogata interview! I'll try to tackle it this weekend if I have time. If not, I'll try the next weekend. Is there a particular e-mail address I should be sending it to? (Feel free to PM me with that info.)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 pm

You can just post it here, that's fine.

EDIT: A friend also sent me pictures of the English release of Essential Evangelion Chronicle. I've heard the English release has a less than ideal translation, so I was wondering if you could get me some pictures of some pages to double check it against the French one:

Side A just page 17

Side B: 7, 11, 14-15, 17, 19, 70-71, 73

This is not a priority, of course.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”