The Gainax Cash Cow, or, Why The F*!& Did I Buy That?!

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:07 am

Apparently The Biggest Prude on EMF (NAveryW-kun) wrote:But not that kind of love! There are many ways for people to show they love each other without defiling themselves!
Cheesus Chrysler Supercar, dude. :roll: (I've been just joking with you on this off-topic tangent the whole time, btw. No hard feelings? :P)

@ the_seventh_child-chan

Nice new avatar, btw.

@ Hunter21-kun
The Last Spoken Line in EoTV wrote:Congratulations!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:19 am

Hunter21 wrote:Baby in the wife's oven. Cooking time, approx. 8 months.

Jesus dude, you sure don't waste any time, huh?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:54 am

Back on topic with "Why the fuck did I buy that?!", did anybody here actually feel that way about DVD or tapes releases they got of Eva?

Either dissatisfied with the actual episodes or pissed they had to keep getting the same thing so many times?

Because I've only been collecting Platinum and have been an Eva fan since about Dec 05 or so (IIRC), I wouldn't know how annoying the latter was.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:56 am

Well, I went through the "versions" of DVD's out there and carefully chose which ones I wanted to buy.

So no, I experienced no unpleasant surprises.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:00 pm

What's wrong with that Harpy plush? Most plush can't do detailed bodies by their very design, so they always end up looking a little squishy. :)

I'm lucky in the sense that I like Shinji and Kaworu, so there's not much merchandise to chase down, and nothing that I'd be too embarrassed to show anybody (since I'm not a shipper, I have no explicit yaoi doujin or anything laying around). And the VHS and DVDs are what were available at the time, so I don't regret rebuying them.

Uh...

My biggest regrets are buying bootlegs, even when I didn't know that they were. I have SonMay boots of the main NGE soundtracks, and a few other items that I bought from Asian culture/unnmarked anime junk stores that are looking a little dubious to me now.

I also have a Kaiyodo Eva-01 whose nose-horn broke off on both of her interchangable heads, and that aggravated me. I hate it when collector-oriented figures are made of a much more fragile material....
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:23 pm

@marmotgirl

YOU HAVE A Misato PLUSHIE???? HOW ON EARTH DID YOU FIND ONE WHEN EVEN MY BEST EFFORTS HAVE BEEN FRUITLESS!!! *green with envy*

@Hunter21

Congrates dude!
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:56 pm

As for weird merche:

I have a UFO Catcher plushie of Rei in Sachiel costume, and an Asuka in Shamshel costume. That itself is not weird. However, the fact that I am a 24 year old heterosexual male and find them adorable IS.

As for cool merche:

I'm not really sure, the vast majority of my stuff is books. I have some action figures, posters, and other odds and ends, but nothing elaborate or noteworthy. I've got some special stuff, like proofs for books, a DVD of Eva ReDeath straight from Sokodei, and an unlaminated guest badge for Hideaki Anno from Otakon 1999. The last of which doesn't make much sense to me, because I can't find verify that Anno was ever slated to appear at Otakon 99. But Otakon printed it for some reason, and it's mine now!

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Incisivis wrote:What's wrong with that Harpy plush? Most plush can't do detailed bodies by their very design, so they always end up looking a little squishy. :)

Aaaach, I love it really. I call it Snowflake. It looms serio-comically over my Shinji&Kaworu model, and is propped up by a Ken-Ohki on one side and a Raichu on the other :lol:

@BLACKANGEL32076

I'll stick up a pic later, just so ya can drool :wink: :lol:
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:26 pm

Refrain CD

Refrain as in "Refrain: Songs that were inspired by Evangelion" (Some...Ink-blot-looking image on the cover)

or "Refrain of Evangelion" (Shinji on the cover) which is like a Best-Of CD?

I've heard both and own the latter; just curious.[/quote]

Refrain of Evangelion. Sorry about the confusion and sorry that I didn't respond earlier.[/quote]
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

perfected_sound
Adam

Postby perfected_sound » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:45 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:As for weird merche:

I have a UFO Catcher plushie of Rei in Sachiel costume, and an Asuka in Shamshel costume. That itself is not weird. However, the fact that I am a 24 year old heterosexual male and find them adorable IS.

I'd like to see the shamshel Asuka. :D
Remember that you will die. -persona3

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:56 pm

@ The Eva Monkey: Hey, you like what you like. ;)

@ cyharding: Thanks for replying.

So, anybody know of some online-stores where I could get an Eva poster at?

I once purchased stuff from Asylum Anime but it took them forEVER just to realize I ordered from them and to send said order out, so...Never again. <_<

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:08 pm

I have a few pieces of Evangelion merchandise and I can honestly say they give me nothing but joy ^_^

I've got:

- Revoltech Unit01 and Unit02
- Cheap-looking (but still official) figures of Asuka and Rei in their uniforms
- The first two Evangelion OSTs
- Der Mond - art book
- Kaworu sitting on a rock (as he was when he first appeared)

.... and, today, I got my order for Petit Shinji (from Eva@School) and I'm in looooove with it! It's awesome, makes me want to collect the rest of them!

From my experiences, I can conclude that a) Kaworu statues are awesome! and b) Evangelion merchandise ftw!
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:21 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So, anybody know of some online-stores where I could get an Eva poster at?

I once purchased stuff from Asylum Anime but it took them forEVER just to realize I ordered from them and to send said order out, so...Never again. <_<

Try www.gkworld.com; I've got a ton of posters from there in the past and they have a decent selection, provided it's in stock.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:30 pm

HOLY SHIT. :shock:

It seems to be a bootleg type poster, but I don't care! They have a poster of THIS! http://www.gkworld.com/product/GKW03670

*squeals happily* ^__^

...Anyway. Back on topic, eheh.

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:52 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:HOLY SHIT. :shock:

It seems to be a bootleg type poster, but I don't care! They have a poster of THIS! http://www.gkworld.com/product/GKW03670

*squeals happily* ^__^

I have that poster. Though if it's a bootleg I'll be a Sad Panda.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:55 pm

Is the coloring of it not so blue like the pic makes it appear (e.g: Just a scanner issue)?

And I could be wrong with my assumption, but because that place has bootleg CDS, that why I thought maybe it was the case. *shrugs*

I'd be a Sad Panda, too. :(

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:58 pm

My copy isn't blue-tinted, though I didn't buy it from that store.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:00 pm

Where'd you get it from?

(Sorry, sorry, I'll get back on topic after this! ^_^; )

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:04 pm

It came in a set of Eva posters I won on Ebay. So the possibility of bootlegging is still there unfortunately, though I have no complaints over image quality.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm pretty sure the majority of laminated posters of those dimensions ARE bootlegs - but they're absolutely *everywhere*, they're cheap, and they're excellent quality. So I ain't complaining.

I've very rarely found any official posters in online stores...the only ones I own personally are the Eva Stick Posters that I'm laboriously scavenging off of ebay :roll:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”