Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Back Arrow -Kazuki Nakashima and Goro Taniguchi

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 pm

New show by writer Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill and Promare) and director Goro Taniguchi (Code Geass) started today.

In Germany you can watch it on Wakanim.

Has anybody seen it? Any thoughts? I liked it quite a bit.

SPOILER: Show
I thought it was pretty cool. Can't help but think how this fits Imaishi, one of my favourite directors, but Taniguchi does a good job. Lol at the constant back and forth with the underwear.

AFAIK we don't know the total episode count yet.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Back Arrow -Kazuki Nakashima and Goro Taniguchi

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:55 pm

It certainly looks like Code Geass, lol. Well, minus the mech design.
Might give it a shot in a bit, I'm... cautiously optimistic. I haven't seen KlK or Promare, but since the other two shows you listed are one of my most loved and one of my most disliked each, I can see this going in literally any direction. But definitely into space.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Well, I never watched Code Geass, but it seems like a fusion of KILL la KILL with Promare to me. And, the protagonist hair design is rather similar to Ryuko Matoi :lol:

I'm curious to watch, but it's not officially in my country.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:39 pm

I saw the first episode and was not impressed. There's nothing wrong in particular, but nothing grabs me either. Good backgrounds, ok CG.

I'll wait and see what the reactions are once 5 episodes or so are out
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:24 pm

So has anyone been keeping up with this?

I've been trying, but it feels so...bland still even 9 episodes in.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:40 pm

That's honestly kinda what I've been expecting. Haven't watched it yet, I'd rather binge once it's out, but yeah this kinda does have the vibe of "aimed for the moon and missed"
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:46 pm

It does all seem rather pointless - but as the quiz show says: "I've started, so I'll finish". It's quite pretty I suppose.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:41 pm

It certainly looks the part, yeah. You can really tell that it has the same director (I think?) as code Geass, the overall feel I got from the trailers is very much in line.
But then again, Valvrave the Liberator was also visually very pretty, and that is a strong contender for being the worst show I have ever watched....

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:00 pm

It doesn't feel very much like Code Geass to me- that's a show that was big into spectacle and bombast and incredibly heightened melodrama, which is what I think made it fun even during the worst bits of R2. Back Arrow to me feels more indebted to 80's mecha "We're on a ship wandering around lol, sometimes we go to a location but mostly we get attacked once a week" type of formula.

Like I find myself comparing this to Xabungle more than anything (Especially with setting loosely inspired by American westerns in some aspects), and not better stuff like Geass or even GunXSword and so on.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:10 pm

I was just talking about the feel I got from the trailer, the art direction and screenwriting looked rather similar. But yeah, I kinda had a hunch that it might backfire; oh well, we'll see where this goes

Return to “Anime and Manga”