Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digitally Re-Created VHS Subtitles

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digitally Re-Created VHS Subtitles

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:15 am

View Original PostMjolnir Mark IV wrote:In regards to those of you who prefer literal translations because you perceive that approach as being the most accurate, one thing I'd like to point out is that if you always took this approach in a translation from Japanese to English, you are sure to encounter sentences that will make no sense whatsoever. Literal translation might work for something like Spanish to Italian, but not Japanese to English. There are times when you have to adapt the intended meaning to the language rather than stick with the literal translation. Ironically, there are times when sticking to a literal translation results in a less accurate translation. So, it's not a good idea to always rigidly stick to only literal translation.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Japanese is a very different language from English, with its own conventions and rules. Pretty much all translations are non-literal, just to avoid making no sense. So if we're not being literal in the first place, why do we suddenly have to be literal just to acknowledge a piece of butchered English? In my opinion, "Third Child" is still the best option.

Return to “Fan Works”