Evangelion 1.11: translation when Lilith is revealed to Shinji

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The_Max
Adam

Evangelion 1.11: translation when Lilith is revealed to Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:55 pm

Hey guys,

I know it's been a long time since 1.11 was released but I think this is remarkable (hope has not been treated before). Well, the english translation of the "Misato reveals Lilith to Shinji" is:

Shinji: This is... It can't be... An Eva...!?
Misato: Not quite. The bringer of life to this planet, and the agent of its extinction... The Second Angel, Lilith.

All translations and versions of the movie I checked are quite similar: Lilith is who bringed the life to Earth and has an important role for the end of that life. But I found something interesting in the actual spanish version of the movie, literally:

Shinji: No puede ser... Eva?
Misato: No... aunque sus vidas comenzaron bajo la misma estrella, se trata de entidades distintas. Este es el segundo angel, Lilith.

Translated to english:

Shinji: This is... It can't be... An Eva...!?
Misato: Not quite. Their lives started under the same star but they are different entities. This is the Second Angel, Lilith.

This is only for the spanish version of the movie, the "spanish latin america version" it's the same as the english. It's implied with "their lives" that Misato refers to Lilith and "the Evas" but It's not clear what Misato means with "star" but I think she refers to the star "formed" by the 4 Adams.

Was this treated before here? There are different "revisions" of the translation? What do you think about it? :bigeyes:
Hey there! I am using EvaGeeks.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Evangelion 1.11: translation when Lilith is revealed to Shinji

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:55 pm

Considering that this is only in the Spanish version and to my knowledge not supported by the original Japanese, I'd say that we can write this off as just one of many mistranslations in localization
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:12 pm

^ that can be, I just find weird that translation comparing to the rest, that's all. It's totally different but still has some meaning, seems to fit. Just wanted to share so any related information can be gathered, if the movies can be altered between "versions" i guess the same applies to the scripts :tongue:

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:31 pm

It's funny. In the Japanese audio, Misato says「星の生命」(hoshi no seimei), well "hoshi" (星) means "star", but means "planet" too. This is the reason for the confusion in the Spanish translation.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:59 pm

^ wow, thanks, nice info and there we go...

All the translations I find with "hoshi" are star, not planet. For instance, from here https://www.nihongomaster.com/dictionary/entry/36049/hoshi:

*star
*any light-emitting (or reflecting) heavenly body (except for the sun and the moon)

Perhaps its the context interpretation what gives the translation? A "general, terrenal" interpretation gives the sentence of the "mainstream" translations and the "eva lore context" gives the spanish translation? Please dont hesitate to correct me, I know nothing about japanase, I just want to understand whats wrong with all this :wink:

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:16 pm

^
Don't worry. It's unusual for Japanese people to use this word to refer to "planet", it is more common 「惑星【わくせい】」(wakusei). To better understand, in the Chinese language, one of the representations of the ideogram "星" is precisely "planet". This dictionary defines that "hoshi" means "planet".
Ah, you can see that to write "wakusei" (惑星) the "hoshi" (星) kanji is used too, everything is interconnected.

Also, the difinition "any light-emitting (or reflecting); heavenly body" indirectly mentions a planet :wink:
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 am

^ thanks again for your explanation.

Assuming that confusion/mistranslation, what about the rest of the sentence?

The bringer of life to this planet, and the agent of its extinction.
VS
Their lives started under the same star but they are different entities.

I mean, one sentence is talking clearly about the end of the life on a planet, the other is not. It's all about the error in the translation?

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:01 am

I'd say that the English translation is correct. I can't understand why the whole sentence was translated that way in Spanish. In the Japanese script it is explicit that Misato says that Lilith is responsible for the beginning and the end of life on the planet (「この星の生命の始まりで終わり」).

I transcripted the whole Misato's line:
違うわ。この星の生命の始まりでもあり終息の要ともなる。第2の使徒リリスよ。
Chigau wa. Kono hoshi no seimei no hajimari de owari shūsoku no kaname tomo naru. Dai 2[ni] no shito RIRISU[Lilith] yo.

If someone has a blu-ray with a Japanese subtitles, please take a screenshot and post here to check whether this transcription is correct, I'm in doubt about a word.

Just for curiosity, in Brazilian Portuguese official translation:
Não. Isso é o princípio de toda a vida neste planeta, e a chave para o fim. O Segundo Anjo, Lilith.
No. This is the beginning of all life on this planet, and the key to the end. The Second Angel, Lilith.

Edit: fixed a typo "nakame" to "kaname".
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:48 pm

^ I put この星の生命の始まりでもあり収束の要ともなる。in a translator, and the translation is "It is the beginning and end of life on this planet, and it is also the key to convergence.". That convergence thing is not mentioned in any translation :cringe:

Hahaha whatever, thanks for your help, I'll take the spanish translation as a mistake and thats it. This is pure evangelion: looking for the solution of a question you find, along with the solution, another three questions :D

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Yeah, there'll be an endless discussion. Many words in the Japanese can have several meanings, what determines is the context, and Japanese is a pretty context language.

About the "convergence" is the "fault" of the word shūsoku (収束), but I'm not sure if that's what Misato says, I'm having trouble hearing the syllables, I'm in doubt whther she says "shūsoku", "chūsoku" or "chūzuku", the only closest word that makes sense for me is shūsoku. But it doesn't seem to make sense in the sentence, I think.

Edit: I realized my mistake, it's actualy the word 終息, not 収束. Both words are homophones.

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:36 am

View Original PostThe_Max wrote:^ wow, thanks, nice info and there we go...

All the translations I find with "hoshi" are star, not planet. For instance, from here https://www.nihongomaster.com/dictionary/entry/36049/hoshi:
:

there's some cases where I've seen 'hoshi' definitely mean planet, but be translated as star instead. In Final Fantasy XV, the world of Eos is constantly called a 'star' in the English translation (at least in the subtitled version) from 'hoshi', though this might be a case of poetic translation rather than mistranslation as 'Starscourge' sounds better than "Planetscourge' and is more in keeping with other astronomical terminology (It can be confusing at first as from in-game context it could easily be implied to to mean that world's sun)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”