The Evageeks Writing Challenges: Discussion & Feedback

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

NateT247
Embryo

Re: The Evageeks Writing Challenges: Discussion & Feedback

•      
  •      

Postby NateT247 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:14 pm

God, 400 words felt way too short, but I suppose that's what makes it fun in the end. I need to work on my dialogue for the next challenge.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:54 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Can the next prompt be something Gendo related?

Maybe not the next, but I will keep suggestions in mind - I will run out of ideas sooner or later anyway.^^
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Man, we have gotten some awesome submissions for this.

NateT247 wrote:God, 400 words felt way too short, but I suppose that's what makes it fun in the end. I need to work on my dialogue for the next challenge.

Right? You go in thinking, "Ah, yes, 400 is more than enough," and one minute later, you're like, "Oh no, how am I going to fit everything?" haha.

I liked your story btw, it was a little odd going from descriptive narrative in the first half and then bare bones dialogue in the second, but there were enough pauses and breaks between dialogue to ensure it didn't turn into floating heads syndrome. A nice little story. I always enjoy when Asuka's self-doubt makes an appearance.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 pm

This writing challenge thread has the makings of being a real gem.

While I have little in the way of feedback to offer in this brief post, I'm impressed to see a couple brand-new users join in and enter their fanfics, which is great.

(P.S. To those of you who've read my crazy mini-fanfic, it wasn't meant to be judged but rather was meant to be something funny/ridiculous/crazy to get the ball rolling. I've added an "update" of sorts to it to pad it out to near-400 words.)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NateT247
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NateT247 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:12 am

View Original PostGlor wrote: Right? You go in thinking, "Ah, yes, 400 is more than enough," and one minute later, you're like, "Oh no, how am I going to fit everything?" haha.

I liked your story btw, it was a little odd going from descriptive narrative in the first half and then bare bones dialogue in the second, but there were enough pauses and breaks between dialogue to ensure it didn't turn into floating heads syndrome. A nice little story. I always enjoy when Asuka's self-doubt makes an appearance.

Yeah, I probably had like 650 words during my first draft, lots of cuts were made to get it down to the limit. Also, self-doubt Asuka is probably my favorite one to write. Big fan of your work btw!

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Honestly, the cutting and editing part is my favorite. Love having to come up with new or more concise ways to relay an image.

Also, thank you! That's always radical to see - I'm glad.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:01 am

Interesting contest topic. I'd definitely be able to contribute if I did contests. :tongue:
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:03 pm

It's just a challenge. There's no winner or prize.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:09 pm

Winner gets Glor's love.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:30 pm

I had fun with this one; potentially a bit too much fun :tongue:
SPOILER: Show
I took an old idea that Reichu and myself used to half-jokingly throw around on the discord and saw it through to its logical conclusion, that of Zeruel being some violent, sexist megalomaniac jackass so full of himself he gets careless and dies because he would rather torture his victim than actually fight
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

Ah, so thats where that randomly came from. The piece was otherwise pretty good especially the ending but without that concept it comes a bit out of nowhere like why would a solitary alien creature have a concept of sexism?

This is a fun prompt tho.

EDIT: AAAA the Sandalphon one :shinji_boohoo:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:41 pm

I just want to chime in to apologize for shamefully neglecting the challenge this time around. Haven't managed to write anything either. Exhaustion sucks.

Excellent contributions from everybody! Very nice to see new people joining in, and such a variety of stories. I especially liked the arc of Ursus piece, very well done! ^_^

Edit: Also, remember everybody, today is the last day!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:49 am

With the Valentine's Day writing challenge, I had no idea how "serious" this was meant to be, and I wasn't sure if my morbid little tale about Kaji getting assassinated by his date ("You're late" == machine gunned by beautiful woman) was a good idea.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 18, 2021 1:02 pm

I honestly had no time, I hope this didn't cause this project to be stalled/quit.

Are there gonna be any more of these? How about, uh, "Misato & Kaji give the Children The Talk" or "an average day in the life of [insert character]"

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed May 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Don't worry, the project stalling had nothing to do with you at all, or the level of participation in general. I was simply out of time and energy.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Wed May 19, 2021 6:57 pm

Here are some scenarios/themes as possible writing challenges if you need any ideas:
Writing in a specific genre (detective, romance, parody)
A scene in series from the perspective of XXX character
The story must include specific concepts: A, B, C (e.g. love, death and robots)
Meta-story about eva geeks forum/Gainax/the life of Hideaki Anno
Holiday-themed/anime cliche (beach episode)
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:22 pm

(Thanks for the scenarios, dzzthink! I've added them to my list of ideas!)

@Kendrix: Very nice to see the first entry so early! And it was a really good one, too.
Just my kind of ... hm, bittersweet, I guess? Shinji berating himself for still being a child and having entirely understandable human emotions, as if that was some kind of fault of his, really struck a nerve with me.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:51 pm

That is a very good one, yeah. the bit with the teacher has also given me an idea for mine, so thank you on the double, lol
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Thanks! It just seemed like something Shinji would think.

Looking forward to the other entries!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Finished mine. Initially started out as 513 words, so I had to cut quite a bit from it, and the result does feel smaller and less alive as a result; consider this the "canon" version
„I’m back.“
Shinji opened the door to the back section of the hobby shop, careful to not kcock over any of the giant stacks of boxes stored in the hallway leading to the back room with the benches. His train had run late, so the others were already well absorbed into their work. „All your kits always look the same! Where’s the variation? I’m telling you, you need to use some more decals to differentiate the units. You may be the premium girl that won us the competition last year, but that doesn’t mean that your style can’t become repetitive.“ Rei sighed and pulled up her respirator. „They are mass production units, Asuka. They are meant to look the same.“
Shinji gently smiled at the scene; it might be his special day, but it was also calming to see everyone being their same old self as usual. He took a look around the room; Rei had gone back to airbrushing, Asuka was meticulously placing decals on a JSSDF Type 90 she had been working on for months now, Kensuke and Toji were bent over what looked like construction drawings of a torpedo boat sprawled across a table, while Mana, Keita and Musashi were crowded in front of the small screen of a laptop, presumably still trying to figure out the knee joint of their scratchbuilt T-RIDEN-T.
„Huh? Where’s Kaworu and Mari?“ Shinji asked „they said they’d be here, right?“ Without looking up from his drawings, Toji answered „Kaworu ran out to buy some glue, Mari said she had to do something or other, dunno what.“ „We were looking for a reference for the MD-160 she’s building, so she went to check with Mr. Kaji if he has the book on Soviet planes, but I think that one was back here“ a muffled female voice came from the storage room in the back; by elimination, it had to be Hikari, noone else was absent and involved in Mari’s project.
Shinji was just going over to his rack to pull out his Sachiel and some putty to finish up the sculpting of the arms when the door flew open and sent the stacks of boxes tumbling down to the floor, and in marched Mari and Kaworu, carrying with them a truly enormous block of a model.
„I was out for a bit more than just glue. “ Kaworu’s grin spanned from ear to ear. The two heaved the amalgamation of plastic and resin onto the table that visibly budged under the weight. It was a representation of Cage 01; 1/100 in scale, intricately detailed with warning labels around every edge of the restraining gear, the waves of the tinted resin that made up the LCL gently splashing against the massive body of Unit 01 submerged in it, the foam at the tips carefully handbrushed on. This must have taken multiple people months to complete. Standing on the umbilical bridge were about a dozen figurines, and in between the heat vents on the shoulder pylons spanned a banner that read a single phrase:
„Happy Birthday, Shinji“

Return to “Fanfiction”