What do you think Asuka has a degree IN?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: What do you think Asuka has a degree IN?

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:10 am

Yeah, I thought about that too. The thing is that I haven't watched episode 10 for a while now. But, I remember interpreting Misato's concern over Shinji and Asuka's grades as a mere excuse on her part. She needed to find a way to justify those two not being able to go on that school trip (other than, you know, the obvious fact that they are EVA pilots). Otherwise, they wouldn't shut up about it.
But, I could be wrong.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 am

I'd say it's more that Misato doesn't want them to miss out on having a normal life

(No surprise that poor Shinji's grades were in the toilet at that point he missed a week of school in eps 4 and 9 each, and I can't imagine that all the traumatic monster fighting helped)

Or maybe Asuka got her degree in something very specialized & studied just the stuff she'd need for that. Particularly if she did it long distance or something. I highly doubt they sat some little 10 year old with a bunch of actual college students
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Floater
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Floater » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I don't think it is ever mentioned.

I used to think the whole thing was super ridiculous & largely an informed attribute, to the point that I tended to HC it as her telling Shinji some outrageous BS to wind it up but I've since heard of actual teenagers working at NASA so I guess I owe Anno & co an apology

One could that since she is super focussed on her position as a pilot, it might be something to do with military or tech, or maybe your basic MBA for bragging rights & because she seems like she'd want to be a very career-oriented person later on. (insofar as she's even considered anything beyond "save earth, beat up angels, get big parade thrown, marry hot older guy")

What sort of degree do you think she'd be interested in in the first place?

I always thought Asuka was one of those "future planner" types, because of how she acted when she saw how easily she could be replaced. And idk what degree she would be interested in, but maybe aviation???
Girls always say things like "Ugh, your such a joke"
But then I question.... WHY ARENT YOU LAUGHING?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:48 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:58 pm

My headcanon: Asuka was given what is essentially an honorary degree with a lot of pomp and circumstance and was told it was real to fuel her feelings of guilt and self doubt and make her a better pilot. She's actually a mediocre student who's too arrogant and easily distracted to perform to her potential, and she knows it.

My headcannon: Organic chemistry with a minor in electrical engineering.

Alan_81
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Alan_81 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:48 am

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:There doesn't need to be a specific degree for you to become an Eva pilot. Misato and Retsuko happened to be in the same college and ended up at Nerv working in completely different roles, though I imagine Retsuko must have done computer science. We know that Yui Ikari studied bio-engineering and then pursued a research career working closely with Kozo Fuyutsuki, a professor of Metaphysical biology. If I had to guess for Asuka, I would say physics based on her knowledge of thermal expansion.

I thought Physics instantly the very first time I heard about her degree when I watched NGE back in 1996 when I was still in school myself. It wasn’t because of her “thermodynamics” answer but the actual fact you needed University level physics
in-order to become a fighter pilot in the RAF back then.

Does anyone know what Mari studied back in the day under Professor Fuyutsuki? She was implied to be Yui's close friend and a real bookworm. Anyone like to speculate?

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:58 am

In NGE, Fuyutsuki and Yui are at the top of the field of metabiology (I think that’s what it was called), which is a fictional field involving the study of the soul (which is something that is scientifically verified to exist in the Eva world).

With absence of evidence suggesting otherwise, the best guess we can make is that Rebuild Yui/Fuyutsuki pursued the same field, and that if Mari was studying under him, presumably this is what she was studying as well.

foxygr4mps
Embryo

Re: Asuka: What was Anno thinking?

•      
  •      

Postby foxygr4mps » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:56 pm

Asuka's a bit of an unreliable narrator. Whilst she is intelligent I wouldn't be surprised if her graduating college as a preteen is a fabrication she made up to impress others.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:02 pm

i think she has a degree in kicking ass

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”