Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:52 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I also think we don't need to worry much about Sagisu's score album spoiling the film because the track names usually aren't related to the scenes they're used, unless he suddenly goes John Williams and named his tracks like "The Death of Shinji Ikari" or "Duel of the Evas".

He absolutely won’t give much away in the soundtrack album LOL

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:26 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Yeah and you can't purchase those either, so that basically confirms there's nothing to see here.

...for now.

I do wonder how early these placeholders are placed on Google Play, and whether or not the current placeholder was set up a long time ago to go public at this time, but the extra delay meant that placeholder couldn't be "filled" as quickly. Maybe some countries would have seen a digital release sooner than expected after Japan's initial January theatrical release? That delay occurred so quickly and so soon before the release date that I'm sure something like this is just an automatically set placeholder awkwardly popping even though the movie won't be there until whoknowswhen.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:23 pm

The film synopsis is pulled from Wikipedia. If it's actually a placeholder, not a lot of effort is being put into it.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:36 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:The film synopsis is pulled from Wikipedia. If it's actually a placeholder, not a lot of effort is being put into it.

These are usually really bad for anime internationally. They couldn't care less it seems. It's not where tge big money is for these companies.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:28 am

I feel that every time a film info panel on Google is created, it will be listed on Google Play, but that doesn't mean one day it'll be available for purchase.

If we search for a movie on Google, the same data is displayed on the Google Play page, including the synopsis (whether from Wikipedia or not).
Sorry for that comparison, it's in Portuguese, but you can see what I mean (I think)  SPOILER: Show

By the way, i thought the other three films were available for purchase in some country, I thought the unavailability was due to my location.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:36 am

SHIN EVA RUNTIME REVEAL ALERT!
Shin Evangelion's runtime is finally listed on Eirin and it's 154 minutes long. We did it everyone, IT'S TWO AND A HALF HOURS LONG!!!

Update: The Eirin page was taken down.
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

UltraB116
Embryo

Postby UltraB116 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:02 am

Wow! 2 hours 34 mins?! I’m excited again.

bastianstix
Embryo

Postby bastianstix » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:04 am

Holy Jesus :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Could this mean... The movie will satisfactorily explain everything? That's enough screentime for each character to get development, explaining the 3.0 plotholes, maybe getting glimpses of whatever happened during the timeskip. I can't believe it

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 am

Translation of the text:
Shin Evangelion Theatrical Edition
Shinji Ikari, who was the cause of Third Impact has lost his will to live... Will he be able to recover? An animated film that continues the story of Evangelion New Theatrical Edition: Q from 2012. (2 hours 34 minutes)

Examination Date: 2021-01-18/Eirin Number: 121619
Company (Country of Origin) - [Distribution] Toei, khara (Toho, Toei)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:27 am

Awesome, thank you! You've gotten yourself a front page mention in the process! :thumbsup:
https://www.evageeks.org/2021/02/shin-e ... -revealed/
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:37 am

Awesome, thank you! :mari_love:

Also looks like there's a typo in the article, it says 2 hours 39 minutes instead of 34. Might want to fix that one soon. :wink:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 am

Oh my fucking God.
And every single milisecond will be there because it needs to. I trust that.

This is fairly close to Haruhi btw. Just an insane effort.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:05 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Also looks like there's a typo in the article, it says 2 hours 39 minutes instead of 34. Might want to fix that one soon. :wink:

Oops! Fixed, thank you!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:19 am

This makes (not counting credits) Rebuild about 7 hours as opposed to NGE's (counting EoE) 10.
Actually a really long runtime.

View Original Postbastianstix wrote:Holy Jesus :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Could this mean... The movie will satisfactorily explain everything?

Depends on your definition of explaining in this context. I wouldn't say 3.0 had plotholes, just things they didn't tell us on purpose. And who knows which of those we actually need to know.
I am sure though it will be a satisfactory conclusion. To me that's how NGE ended too.
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:37 am

Those madmen and women really did it, 154 minutes is hella long for animation standards and the fact they probably managed to negotiate it after being asked to trim down the runtime to just two hours back in 2019 is nothing short of awesome.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 am

2h30m is officially in the MEGACHONKER anime category of chonkiness.

Give me the epic closure Anno, I'm ready to not be ready.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:00 am

2 hours and 34 minutes? Man, Shin is gonna be epic and I'm so here for it. This is awesome news!

Lacissal
Lilith

Postby Lacissal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:05 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:This makes (not counting credits) Rebuild about 7 hours as opposed to NGE's (counting EoE) 10.
Actually a really long runtime.

309+154= 463 mins, over 7 1/2 hours (don't know the cumulative run time of the credits to subtract)

Yup, Since the summer I've been thinking a lot about Rebuilds overall runtime vs NGE. Each episode is (without credits) about 20 mins 30 seconds. Obvs 26 eps + EoE is about 10 hours, but (sacrilege!) if it had been edited into a 6/7 hour compilation, like Gundam and Nadia, it would be possible. By sacrificing EoTV, the eps 14,20, 13 and (like 2.0) much of the action arc but with the most plot critical material rearranged elsewhere, you could still tell a satisfying, 'complete' story in a runtime similar to Rebuild.

Anyway, 154 minutes is beyond my wildest dreams (was expecting 130-5 at most). It's hard to find a definitive list of animated film runtimes, but anything north of 2hrs 10, at full, feature length animation quality is significant, let alone approaching Haruhi and Final Yamato (Shin Eva is 2 mins longer than the 35mm print of Yamato though!)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:13 am

2 hours and 34 minutes! :w00t:

Man there's so much that can be done with such a long runtime, so many of the speculations of the movie's content become possible with that:
  • a long awaited conversation between Shinji and Asuka in the desert? We can do that.
  • a flashback on the events of the time skip? We can do that too.
  • flashbacks on the pilots' childhood? There's space for that
  • Shinji's recovering taking the time and depth it deserves to be satisfactory? We have all the necessary time for that!
  • everyday's life scenes of the Wunder and/or the Lilin city to flesh out the setting and make us care for humanity? Of course there's time for that!
  • There's still some more time left, do you want some super epic action scenes? :wink:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:15 am

Two and a half hours huh? They're really gearing up for this film to be the epic grand finale of the series.

Here's hoping it pulls it off.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”