Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:15 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Cloverfield direct sequel is coming

I love Cloverfeild, but I do wonder if this sequel will have problems as it was the first big monster CGI movie back in 2008 then things like Pacific Rim followed in 2013 only for Kong and Godzilla to be next all improved on the visual big monster movie medium and all brought the GCI to new levels, meaning that the original Cloverfeild movie now pales in compassion CGI wise and feels old despite still being a solid watch.

A sequel would have to do something very relevant while still staying true to source material and do new things with its CGI which it might not be able to do as it's tied to its civilian filming perspective. I feel this is really a case where they have left it far to long and it could really turn around and bite them even if they come at it from the nostalgia angle.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:44 pm

I just think it's funny that they had to specify a "direct" sequel, other than announce "Cloverfield will now be absorbing yet another unrelated movie in pick-up shoots."

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:56 am

Godzilla Final Wars and Shin Evangelion comparison :tongue: (do not open if you want to avoid Shin Eva spoilers)
SPOILER: Show
Has big bad mothership (X)
Has good hero mothership (X)
Mind controlled monsters around the world (X)
Big badass hero captain which has traumatic past and needs to overcome it(X)
Protagonists are mutants related to kaiju (X)
"Good team" monster faces its nemesis at the end of the movie to decide the fate of the world(X)
Cool evil captain which wears a vizor (X)
Loads of fanservice (X)
Epic music (X)
Betrayal (?)
Kaiju football (?)
Alien conspiracy (?)
Open ending (?)
The final movie of a series and is destined to put the series on a rest until someone more talented revives it again (X)

Yeah, Shin Eva is just like GFW :harpy_liplick:
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Careful posting that kind of information. The FBI might ask you to delete that. :lol:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:51 pm

Unlike that Pacific Rim anime the Godzilla anime looks pretty good.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Unlike that Pacific Rim anime the Godzilla anime looks pretty good.

I agree like I'm generally looking forward to this and if its good I hope it makes it to Blu-ray and it's the start of more Godzilla anime series.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:44 am

Hearing that Rodan shriek coming from an honest-to-God mutant pterodactyl is wild! I love how these monsters have been redesigned so far.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:47 pm

Not the biggest fan of this Rodan design, reminds me a lot of fan designs of monsterverse Rodan. Which were basically a giant pterosaur. However with all that being said.

• Baby Rodan
  • Steampunky JetJaguar
Yes to all of that! :devil:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:05 pm

Rodan has always been basically a giant pterosaur, at least to the extent Godzilla was basically a giant dinosaur. He has some legs in the Legendary version, but that’s about it.

Me, I’m concerned about the lack of kaiju in these previews. I don’t know why people are so hype about it, as it’s JAFA (just another fucking anime) until the big G shows up. If it goes to town after that then okay, but if not why are we even here?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:27 pm

The first preview had Goji, Rodan, JetJaguar, Anguirus, and maybe Titanosaur and some other water Kaiju. So plenty of monsters, though that doesn't say anything about actual screen time. Still i have hopes it'll better than w/e the Godzilla anime trilogy was.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:13 am

View Original PostSettie wrote:The first preview had Goji, Rodan, JetJaguar, Anguirus, and maybe Titanosaur and some other water Kaiju. So plenty of monsters, though that doesn't say anything about actual screen time. Still i have hopes it'll better than w/e the Godzilla anime trilogy was.

That was a trilogy about a foe you couldn’t beat without destroying yourself in the process. It was the ultimate expression of Godzilla as a force of nature— at the end of the day, you have to accommodate him, not vice-versa. It was actually pretty glorious, and I hope this new show can match it.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:17 am

The trilogy had some really neat ideas in it, I just think the execution was frightfully dull and the visual style was really fugly.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 am

Bagheera wrote:
It was actually pretty glorious.

How? I barely managed to force myself through the first film and after finishing the second, I didn't even bother to watch the third and reading Freaky's post on it made me about 95% certain it was the correct call.

Yeah, the trilogy plays around with a few interesting ideas, but even the ideas aren't that revolutionary nor intriguing and the execution was so horrifyingly imbecilic and downright "shitty" that I personally would never watch any part of it again unless I was extremely tired and in need of simple entertainment.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 am

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:
Bagheera wrote:
It was actually pretty glorious.

How? I barely managed to force myself through the first film and after finishing the second, I didn't even bother to watch the third and reading Freaky's post on it made me about 95% certain it was the correct call.

Yeah, the trilogy plays around with a few interesting ideas, but even the ideas aren't that revolutionary nor intriguing and the execution was so horrifyingly imbecilic and downright "shitty" that I personally would never watch any part of it again unless I was extremely tired and in need of simple entertainment.

If that’s your take on it I don’t see the point to explaining my reasoning. Suffice it to say I completely disagree with everything you wrote. I liked the ideas, I liked the aesthetic, and I freakin’ loved Godzilla Earth. That’s all I need from a kaiju movie.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:37 am

You could still explain it in depth, I want to know why you liked it, especially since I personally hated it.

Also, this is the second time in recent history you've quoted an entire post, could you not do so unless it's necessary?

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:44 pm

Not wanting to contribute to the problem but rather helping solve it, the anime trilogy have indeed their flaws but I think they're victims of an irrational horde of hate coming from Reddit (more specifically r/Godzilla) and YouTube.
This sincerely is such a bummer, some watch the trilogy with opinions already formed by others (and most of them just cover superfluous reasons like "Godzilla is a plant, I hate it, why have they done that?") instead of trying to create their own opinions and reflect on the work. Interestingly even Evangelion has its own case very similar to this, at least some part of the western branch of the fanbase treat EvaQ like the Goji fanbase already treats the anime Godzilla trilogy, it isn't hard to find lots of comments referring to both works as a tragedy, NOT MY EVA/GODZILLA!!, something to feel ashamed for, burning trash and others.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:08 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:reading Freaky's post on it made me about 95% certain it was the correct call.

Dang, I should start more of my reviews with “Jesus fuck tits.”

Yeah, I should go back and watch the trilogy over again. It’s a Godzilla movie, so I’m still gonna study it and see how it fits in history of the rest of the franchise. But I certainly remember the third movie making me really upset after a while.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:14 pm

I would suggest you watch it more carefully, as a number of things you say re: the plot are untrue (and in some cases completely backwards). For example, Haruo has sex with Maina after he figures out who she is, not before, which neuters about half your rant. Also, Mothra’s egg is used to help break Haruo free of Metphies’ control, making it far less of a circle jerk than you suggest, and Haruo committed suicide by Godzilla to ensure that all traces of nanometal were gone, not purely for spite as you suggest. The whole thing holds together a lot better than you indicated.

Also, watch the subs. I mean, have we learned nothing from our experiences with Eva? Always watch the subs so you avoid creative localization decisions.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:29 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I would suggest you watch it more carefully, as a number of things you say re: the plot are untrue

Can I just point out people sometimes miss things on first viewing and don't catch till second or third and as a lot of people didn't sit though repeat viewings they may have missed stuff. It's also fine for people not to like these films, and you can't force them to like it and them not liking it, is not a personal attack on you that's just how they feel.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:37 pm

I don’t expect anyone to like it. But if you’re going to dislike it it should be because of what it is, not because of something you imagine it to be. That goes double if you plan on venting about it in a public space.

Return to “Film and Video”