Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:08 pm

I don't think 2I destroyed Anarctica and knocked the earth off-axis in the rebuild.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:09 pm

JoelcrNeto wrote:I'm more convinced that it was Mari who gave the doll/puppet, I was thinking about this possibility while typing a post on another thread days ago.

Even if they don't turn out to know each other or related as children, it's still quite touching that Asuka has finally found someone whom she can be fully herself around and even ask for help/assistance during combat in Mari, far cry from her past behavior where it's all about herself. ^_^

ShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I'm leaning more towards Mari and Shinji being childhood friends.

I quite like this idea too. Ogata herself mentioned in the Eva-Extra audio commentary that she noticed Shinji and Mari never called each other by name in 2.0 and 3.0, kind of a hint or soft confirmation that they'll be on that level in Shin, then there's the mysterious stinger at the end of AVANT1 where Mari sounds so determined to find Shinji, as it there's an urgent matter she wants to tell or reveal.

kuribo-04 wrote:I was thinking Germany too, but isn't it always summer in Eva world?

Yes in NGE, but in 3.0, Wille's temporary base appears to be in the middle of a snow storm and I don't think eternal summer is ever mentioned in Rebuild. Could be a side effect of 3I screwing up the climate once again, but we can't be sure about that too.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:13 pm

Back on topic, please.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:15 pm

I'm sorry, but isn't this still on the topic since I'm talking about something from the trailer? Or should I just make a new thread because I referenced things from another thread too?

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:18 pm

I'm sorry, I was a bit quick to judge. I just don't want a repeat of the last extra-large step over into off-topic discussion. You didn't do anything wrong here, but this discussion does seem to be inclined to go towards discussing more of Asuka's and Mari's relationship than just what is strictly seen in the trailer. I guess I'll allow you guys to continue for a while, but make sure you don't stray too far.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:23 pm

^
Yeah, this is what I imagined. My previous post was related to that, after I posted I remembered the previous incident. Sorry.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I was thinking Germany too, but isn't it always summer in Eva world?

In Germany, it can always be winter :tongue:
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Ah, I understand. Noted! There's really just so much to unpack here and it really is kinda hard to not have the conversation branch off into something else entirely.

Also, if it weren't for the delay, we probably would've known about the context of these scenes instead of scratching our heads over a month-old trailer until God knows how long. :shinji_ditto:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:In Germany, it can always be winter.

Very true...
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:21 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:

Now, for my pre-release headcanon:
We have a very young-looking Asuka in a snowy-looking place presumably around 4-5 years old, that would make it around 10 years before 1.0 begins. (I'm 99% sure it's Asuka, as the section in trailer has shots that each represent a character)

It could possibly be in German (Remember, parts of the world are still snowing after 2I and even 3I in Rebuild, Wille's temporary base at the beginning of 3.0 proves that) and apparently she's looking at somebody while being flustered, perhaps she's being given something (the doll). Then there's the doll name; "Asuka", either she named it herself or the giver did. But the simplicity of the name implies that the one who did is either carefree or simple-minded.

2. Shinji, through a twist that they've actually both met as children. and got their memories wiped out for some reason, although there's no evidence, foreshadowing, or whatsoever about this, other than her expression in this shot looks like the classic "Baka Shinji" reaction face.
It would be nice if it was Shinji, I imagine a scene like Asuka dropped her doll inside the ship and Shinji helped her, after which Shinji since was a child not yet traumatized but so innocent and not antisocial may have done a comment about how cute she was, and then walk away. The face of the supposed child Asuka looks pretty Tsundere to me. The problem with this assumption is why the hell Shinji should have been in Germany, maybe his parents had to work with Asuka's mother on the Evangelions project?

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:39 pm

@GhostlyOcam, you made some very good observations!
Sometimes I love how humans work. In the trailer, this cut lasted about 2 or 3 seconds. Still, that didn't stop us from spending more than a month theorizing about it hahaha.
On the "winter" situation, I do not remember any moment in the series when it's said that the whole world lives in an endless summer, only Japan. There is a reason for that.
The Earth is a geoid and its spin axis is tilted with respect to its orbital plane. Because of that, we have the seasons. When the Earth's axis points towards the sun, it's summer for that hemisphere. When the Earth's axis points away, it's winter. Therefore, it's impossible for the whole world to be "stuck" in just one season.
The problem is that Germany is in the same hemisphere as Japan. Therefore, these countries should always be in the same seasons. But, whatever hahaha
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:41 pm

With the number of times Shinji's brainwashing (as a possibility or as something that happened) came up in NTE, I don't see that plot point not having a pay off in Shin, there's no way NERV erased Shinji's memories just to make him forget about Yui's contact experiment, the same way Fuyutsuki was contemplating the possibility of brainwashing him if he strayed too far from the path they planned out for him: so either something have happened back then that they absolutely don't want Shinji to remember, or they absolutely need to have Shinji to think and behave in a precise way to further their plans (which was 01's awakening) and destroyed everything from his past to mold him into the person he is in the first three movies, so it's possible that Shinji already met and maybe even made friends with the other pilots, maybe he even had a very different personality, all of it destroyed for Gendo's mad plan, which would be the most sickening act he had done in all of his incarnations.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:39 pm

^ That's an interesting idea, if Shinji and Asuka (maybe Mari too) were bffs as kids, that'd certainly jeopardize Gendos plan, but then Asukas memory would have to been tempered with as well. Although she does appeared to have been groomed to be a pilot for some time so it's not out of the question.

It also raises another interesting question though, what is Yuis role in all of this? She volunteered to be Unit-1s control system yet from 2.0 we get that she asked Gendo to take care of Shinji. So was Yui full in with Seele or had her own ideals or something different with Gendo that he later changed his mind on after her disappearance? Either way lotta holes need filling.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:56 pm

^ The dynamic trio's plan of using Rei & Shinji to awaken Unit-01 makes no sense to me.

-Gendo was willing to let Shinji walk away after the 9th Angel incident.
-Gendo let Misato pick the pilot for Unit-03. If Rei was chosen she could have died.
-Gendo said to Fuyu that he'll have Rei and Shinji get closer together.... okay... but how?

I can't say I'm a fan of the 5D chess being played this time.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:03 pm

The first one is the one that truly threatened the plan, as the others Gendo could've overruled Misato and taken certain steps to guarantee that outcome.

Shinjis banishment post 9th was Gendo pulling a Shinji, he let his emotions make a rash and impulsive decision that could've easily cost him everything. When Shinji inadvertently went for the jugular when he told Gendo that he might understand what he was feeling if he lost someone he cared about. That must've been something that Gendo was not willing to tolerate.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:56 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:
I can't say I'm a fan of the 5D chess being played this time.

I just said the same thing pretty much in the relationship topic, but I don't think a lot of these things about Rebuild should be taken too literally. Basically the idea is "Shinji and Rei were manipulated/used", the apparent complexity of the plan/s allowing that to happen just adds some flavor.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:23 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I quite like this idea too. Ogata herself mentioned in the Eva-Extra audio commentary that she noticed Shinji and Mari never called each other by name in 2.0 and 3.0, kind of a hint or soft confirmation that they'll be on that level in Shin, then there's the mysterious stinger at the end of AVANT1 where Mari sounds so determined to find Shinji, as it there's an urgent matter she wants to tell or reveal.

Of course, that left me with a baka face

About Child Asuka, that face is too "baka Shinji" to be anything else, but who knows?.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Drunken_Skunk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Drunken_Skunk » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=melQ9Nd ... LION%3AALL

People who saw the Eva 3.333 movie in Japan drew a rough work of the new trailer shown at the end of the film

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:08 am

The TV spot doesn't have its own topic, so I'm putting tgia here.
I screenshoted all the frames of Asuka's animation lol.
https://kuribo4indahouse.tumblr.com/post/641053461242413056

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:43 am

About Child Asuka, that face is too "baka Shinji" to be anything else, but who knows?

That is indeed a Baka Shinji face, but as you said no one can be sure about what is happening in that frame. It may also be that Asule may have met Mari as a child and that Mari smelled her. Then there is another option that is crazier, Wille managed to purify the atmosphere, Asuka's eye is healed thanks to a new technology that separated her human DNA from that of the angel then she cut her hairs. Then she could returned to Germany and Shinji went to visit her in the film's finale. There is no evidence to support what I said, but it is not impossible that the alleged Asuka looks like a child could just be a mistake on our part.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:04 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Image

Since I'm in the mood to overanalyze things, another thing that should be noted is that this alleged "Smol Asuka" is carrying what appears to be a white dotted red/pink-colored backpack. Don't you think it's a bit too "cute" and "childish" for the current timeline Asuka to carry, who's now a mentally 28-ish years old war veteran? Although she does wear a hat with cat ears in 3.0 so I guess she still has eyes for cute things, or maybe that's another hint that she's related to Mari because the latter has a habit of including "nya" in her sentences and one of the earliest concepts for her is being basically a cat mo- Okay, okay, I'll stop.

On another topic, I'm 100% sure that this shot is drawn by Atsushi Nishigori or his influence as the animation director is that strong. Aside from the way her eyes and chubby cheecks were drawn which look unmistakably very Goripon, she looks uncharacteristically cute for Eva standards and him being specializing on making cute-looking characters must've been something to do with that. :rofl:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”