Minor Nitpicks

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Minor Nitpicks

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:09 pm

I do wish these movies would spend an extra 10 mins or so to explore non-Shinji characters more in-depth.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:07 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I do wish these movies would spend an extra 10 mins or so to explore non-Shinji characters more in-depth.

If you've read the 2.0 CRC's, it shows they were SUPER anal about the runtime and cut a lot of side character scenes to fit it all. The ones that stuck out in my mind were a scene where Shinji and Mari have tea and an elevator scene involving Shinji, Mari and Rei (any inaccuracies are due to me having read them like half a year ago).

I've always wondered why they didn't just add in those scenes, because to my uninformed mind an extra 5-10 minutes in each movie seems to have the benefits outweigh the negatives of a slightly longer movie. Especially because being a new character Mari doesn't have the benefit of letting viewers infer things from NGE. But then again, I'm not a movie writer so I assume they had understandable reasons for wanting to cut down as much as possible.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:24 pm

The CRCs sound pretty dope, and I want official English translations to come out at some point.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:And since you called 2.0 "Ha", I have another nitpick, this time against a weird quirk of some of the fanbase. Namely, why do some people insist on calling the Rebuilds by their Japanese names? I mean, Anno chose a different English name on purpose, no one calls Instrumentality "Complementation" or the Angels "Apostles". It gets even weirder when some people switch from English to Japanese starting with 3.0. I mean, calling the Rebuilds "1.0, 2.0, Q, and Shin." Like, if you're going to refer to the movies by something else than their official English titles, at least be consistent! Nothing against you, just something that's been bugging me for a while.

Personally I find people calling NTE "Rebuild" is more of an issue considering it's completely incorrect whereas interchangeably calling each movie X.0/X.XX/Jo-Ha-Q is still correct regardless of the discussion.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:34 pm

Well, "New Theatrical Edition" is kind of a clunky name, and the closest thing we have to an official English name for the new movies is the "Rebuild" term used in some of the bonus material, so why not use that term? I guess it's kind of weird that I'm so anal about the names of the individual movies and don't really care about the name of the movie series as a whole, but whatever.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:48 pm

The lack of Blue EVA 00.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Shinji Ikari Expy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji Ikari Expy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:17 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I do wish these movies would spend an extra 10 mins or so to explore non-Shinji characters more in-depth.

Remember how much people bitched about the aquarium scene from 2.0? IMO that scene had some good world building and character development, (especially for those new to Eva, or haven't seen it in years), but it elicited mass groaning from the fanbase. So I can't really blame Anno for trying to avoid having too many "slice of life" scenes in order to develop the characters, esp Mari.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:48 pm

Well, I think most of the hate towards the aquarium scene was centered on the over-the-top cheesiness of its first half, with the very upbeat sounding music and the ridiculous comic relief in the decontamination scene. The second half does contain some important character development, but you have to get through all the cheese to really appreciate it.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:52 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:The lack of Blue EVA 00.

^
This.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Shinji Ikari Expy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji Ikari Expy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:48 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Well, I think most of the hate towards the aquarium scene was centered on the over-the-top cheesiness of its first half, with the very upbeat sounding music and the ridiculous comic relief in the decontamination scene.

If that counts as "cheesy," then so do a lot of scenes from the original series. "Upbeat sounding music"? Say it ain't so lol. There were a lot of scenes just like the aquarium one in the original series, maybe even sillier -- start with the ones where all the kids gathered in Misato's apartment, first for dance practice, then for her promotion party.

The aquarium scene didn't do anything NGE didn't do, and it helped set the tone/establish things for people who are unfamiliar or just returning to the franchise.

The franchise has plenty of lighthearted, even over-the-top moments, and they're as much a part of the storytelling as the grimdark stuff. Something can be funny and still important.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Well, from what I understand, NGE's Action Arc isn't held in very high regard by most fans either... :wink: Even the Action Arc still has its defenders though.

And I wouldn't say people don't like the scene because they hate humor as a whole, I'd say they just hate certain types of humor. Comedy is completely subjective, and different people have different tastes. I actually kind of liked the scene, I'm just explaining why other people didn't.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:34 pm

Personally I found the aquarium scene was one of the better new scenes

The premise of the restored environment, seeing everyone just be kids & react to stuff, wise grizzled survivor Kaji, REISHIN, and oooh that added ouch when the world is destroyed anyway and all those efforts come to naught
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am

I love the aquarium stuff in 2.0. It's got some fun character stuff and very accurately shows what they're all trying to save.** Some people just don't like it because they want everything to be dour and joyless but if a film, or series of films, is just one tone from start to finish it becomes monotonous. What makes the end of 2.0 and more the bleakness of 3.0 hit as hard as they do - for me at least - is seeing what is lost .

**I also would not be surprised if we do get to see a WILLE human dwelling safe zone in 3.0+1.0 if it either exists at the remains of the Aquarium OR, more likely, mirrors those scenes with examples of animal and sea life being preserved by and alongside the humans. Would be cute as hell to see an old as fuck PenPen show up.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I love the aquarium stuff in 2.0. It's got some fun character stuff and very accurately shows what they're all trying to save.** Some people just don't like it because they want everything to be dour and joyless but if a film, or series of films, is just one tone from start to finish it becomes monotonous. What makes the end of 2.0 and more the bleakness of 3.0 hit as hard as they do - for me at least - is seeing what is lost .

I agree with that as Rei is the funniest thing in that whole scene when they are going down levels and being dunked like everyone else is freaking out, but she's just oh this again just another normal day.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:37 am

If Rei does anything cute in 3.0+1.0 my heart will melt..

Actually, that's another (jk) nitpick. We need more Rei making others awkward in a cute way in the films. I know it doesn't fit with the tone of the first and third films but like, Rei making others uncomfortable in a way that's adorable is very fun.

If they sneak one case of this into the final film it's a 5 Star Movie no matter what.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:15 pm

I've personally always enjoyed the aquarium scene. It makes that world feels more believable and its contrasting nature (with regard to other sequences) sets the stage for many future scenes, just like Gendo'sPapa said.

Anyway, now that I think about it, there is another nitpick that I have with these movies and it is related to their names. As previously said, I love the English titles. I think that they are stylish and iconic. But, writing them down can be a hassle.
That's because they have a dot between the first and the second number. So, it's weird to end a sentence while referring directly to them.
For example: "The best one is 1.0."
It feels like there are more numbers to come after the zero. A way out of this would be to use the movies' entire names. But that can be inconvenient at times.
What I usually do is to avoid ending sentences with them. In addition, I sometimes replace the numbers with terms like "the first one", "the sequence", etc.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Neil-T
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Neil-T » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:20 am

Minor nitpicks, eh...?

I guess one of mine would be something in the Wunder activation sequence in 3.0.

There's the scene where Asuka cuts the seal out of Unit-01's cocoon using her heat lance; you can see the molten metal around where she's working. Then she pushes the lance, with some degree of effort, into the "tunnel" behind the seal.

When she pulls the lance back out, it's coated in molten metal from something that it's melted away. But when we get a look down that tunnel, there's no residual molten metal like there was with the seal.

Was the tunnel already part of the cocoon's structure? Or did Asuka cut it (or deepen/widen a channel that was already there) using the lance?

To this day I'm not sure how to read that sequence. :huh:
“The ray of light called hope eternally shines upon humanity. But humanity also drown themselves, clinging on to the malaise known as hope.”

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:06 pm

The Sachiel fight scenes of 1.11 are DARK, we can't even see that well all of the changes and new design choices because of that, also, pretty lame this problems do happen at one of the best EVA fights ever. Lame.

EVA 1.111 when?
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:40 pm

The 360 degree vision the new entry plugs have. Like how in the hell is that suppose to work? Humans are visual creatures so when we interact with things we also need to know the position of our bodies relative to w/e the object being interacted with. It'd be like trying to walk around with your eyes closed, yes in a familiar environment you know where things are, but interacting will get really interesting real fast.

Eva controls are odd, i can think of at least two instances where the eva could be moved via a sort of mental link, yet it still uses physical control sticks in the entry plug. That weird little inconsistency bugs me more than it probably should.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”