Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:55 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:I know this isn't so related to Shin Eva, but let's remember the old times?
https://youtu.be/4HALL5-PZu4
In another parallel universe we probably got Shin Eva first and then EoE in 2021, so let's appreciate this and appreciate a bit more we survived to see it come true.

Compare that disturbing spot with a shitty song, with autotune turned up to 11.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:18 am

I clicked the link to that video, not knowing exactly what it was, but assuming it wasn't going to be too bad. But instead, I heard the screams of the damned playing for 10 seconds straight while EoE's most disturbing images flashed in the background. Well, at least it was an accurate summary of the movie. :wink:

About the "One Last Kiss" song though, I don't really like it either. I don't like Utada's contributions to Rebuild in general, his songs feel too "pop" for Eva. But it's not the worst thing ever, and I can stomach it.

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:40 am

While it helps that this is the first and only Rebuild's release I am following, I have grown attached to the song after the two trailers, it sounds pretty cool. It certainly has steep competition in terms of trailer music, both of the versions of Peaceful Times that have been used are amazing.
we are many, but you are alone

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:21 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:I know this isn't so related to Shin Eva, but let's remember the old times?

wow that is such an accurate summary of the movie, none of that "trailers always lie" stuff XDD
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:44 am

Well, Utada's inclusion to Rebuild actually fits the aim to "rebrand" Eva into something less otaku-focused but more on attracting the general audience. Instead of anisong artists, they commissioned an international pop star to perform radio-friendly songs and whether you like it or not, it works. Lots of Utada fans saw the films just because her songs are in them.

The Rebuild-era merchandising also leans more on mainstream swag appeal, look at the Radio EVA clothing lines, the FILA collaboration and stuff. Not saying they abandoned the otaku segment entirely, stuff like pachinko, the action figures, and plamodels are still there (Bandai just teased an RG Mark.06 last night, by the way) but compared to the GAINAX era, there's a notable shift in the target market.

By the way, I also think One Last Kiss is less inspiring than Beautiful World or Sakura Nagashi, it's basically Ed Sheeran-core but I can't lie that I've been humming the song on a daily basis since December 25, 2020.
:rei_poke:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:24 am

Damn, so many boomers here don't appreciate Queen Utada. :tongue:

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 am

Having THE Utada Hikaru to perform not one nor two but four songs (it's actually three, but hey, Beautiful World acoustic mix is different enough) for your anime films is a luxury very few could get. :wink:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:17 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Damn, so many boomers here don't appreciate Queen Utada. :tongue:

Well, this true boomer isn't one of them!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 am

LOL, I'm not a fan of pop - I like rock and metal - but I have no problem with Utada's songs. I still think "Beautiful World" and "Sakura Nagashi" are soooo much better than "One Last Kiss".

Queen Yoko Takahashi's songs were also from the 90's pop genre, so Evangelion has always had pop songs.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:50 am

Utada is actually amazing. Bias against a type of music (pop) doesn't make hers worse.
It's also fitting the trailers perfectly so far IMO, so I don't see the problem.

Beautiful World I wasn't crazy about, but evem that one I like quite a bit.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:53 am

My dad, who usually listens to boomer stuff like Sting, LedZep, and Deep Purple liked Beautiful World a lot. Then again, he also has several songs from Char's Counterattack score and, uh, Nogizaka46 in his working playlist so he really is just that adventurous with what he listens to.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Damn, so many boomers here don't appreciate Queen Utada. :tongue:

Man, do you know how old boomers are?

And sorry, is hard to enjoy an average overproduced pop song. At least, for my taste. I dont dislike the genre,, by the way.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Huagh
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Huagh » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:18 am

I really like “One Last Kiss”. It gives me a hopeful and bittersweet feeling for this last film, and really sells the idea that this will be the last time we see this story and these characters (or at the very least, the fact this is Anno’s last venture in this franchise). I liked all the other Queen Utada songs, but I might be biased because I already loved the songs she made for Kingdom Hearts, especially “Sanctuary”.

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:07 am

Music taste is subjective (also morality and a lot of stuff more) so whenever someone says "I don't like pop music" is just about opinions rather than facts.
I will explain further.

if some guy were to say to you that, "human life has objective value," or that "human life is objectively good," what does that even mean? Is "goodness" supposed to be some kind of radiant intensity that just emanates from human beings, simply by the mere virtue of living? Can we quantify this goodness and measure it with moral thermometers? If so, then what's the standard of calibration? Does a cow's life possess objective moral value, as well? Or a squirrel's? How many squirrels does it take to equal the moral value of one human?

Obviously, we can't. Because any time we say a thing has value or that a thing is good, we're not talking about some intrinsic physical quality of the thing itself. Technically, what we're really saying is that somewhere, somehow, a subjective agent has arbitrarily decided to place value on that thing in the form of a preferential desire with respect to other things.

that's why when I read "if shin evangelion is controversial therefore the movie's good" whatever he or she's trying to say is more "my subjective standards were fulfilled so I believe this song/movie/novel/comic/.. is good."

now for those who enjoy listening to Utada hikaru. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaueZWW_vQ

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:11 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:My dad, who usually listens to boomer stuff like Sting, LedZep, and Deep Purple liked Beautiful World a lot. Then again, he also has several songs from Char's Counterattack score and, uh, Nogizaka46 in his working playlist so he really is just that adventurous with what he listens to.

what? Sting, LedZep, and Deep Purple are "boomer stuff"? but..

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:46 am

The film will fail to achieve an ending feeling if the movie ends in the same vein as EOE.

EOE ending was polarising but left it so open and unresolved in some respects.

This film needs an ending like breaking bad or MASH where it’s like ok that it that’s the end no more needs to be told.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:53 am

Why does it need that...

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:53 am

Jäeger wrote:And sorry, is hard to enjoy an average overproduced pop song.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:01 pm

Did the Beatles overproduce? :emogendo:

Anyway, with the TV showing of 3.0 at least there will be a news day soon. During the showings of 1.0 a d 2.0 they showed stuff from the CRC books on twitter, so maybe a 3.0 CRC might be revealed or teased or something. I dunno how I'd feel about that. Don't get me wrong, I want that book. But I don't have that much money lol, and I really wanna secure those 3.333 and 3.33+1.11(?) blurays.

To summarize, we might have reached the point with the delays were new books might be about to be released and such before the film is out (even though it was their priority).

There could also be news about Shin obviously.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:15 pm

In another parallel universe we probably got Shin Eva first and then EoE in 2021, so let's appreciate this and appreciate a bit more we survived to see it come true.

Really cool trailer. But I prefer the live action one, I guess. It completely embodies the movie, in my opinion.
Actually, I've been creating a playlist with some of these The End of Evangelion amazing materials.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL91ufypxZXn2gfXNg37zz1UF2RenS65Eb
Here it is, if someone wants to give it a look. I'm also open for further suggestions.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”