Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:00 am

Oh finally, I am not the only one to watch Higurashi Gou or know the franchise! I was under the impression to talking to a wall in this thread :D

Thank you for you'r reply, guys. No, it will never be easy. Because it don't make sense. Because it a gorefest. Because it awful. Seriously, it so disgusting, that's I wonder if I am the only one to have gotten fucked up sexual molestations vibes with how a certain character drag Rika to the floor with the ropes, and her saying "Please, let me go...Let me die already" or something like this.

Or when said character said "Womens must be pure for the sacrifice" Eeeeew. I know it how some religions and even less extremes religious rituals traditions work "EX : no sexe before mariage" and I know
it was not necessary about the virgin purety, but with how this scene was handled I can't help but think of it. Got me some memories of Umineko...

Oh yes and Rika suggestion "Eat my brain so you might be saved" :doh:

I know I know the purpose was to said "Look how much Rika is suffering" but the point was already well made in the last three timelines "Onidamashi" "Watadamashi" "Tataridamashi" she got dragged in, particulary more cruel because she already did that's before and have got above the dilemmas of her life.

At least, the precedents timelines, gorefest as they might be, did got messages. Sometime pretty preachy yes, but they did got messages, and to me in Higurashi, every timelines is a long trip to a important, initiatic message about life.

Now, with how people said "Higurashi is a anime about lolis killing each others lmao" I'm scared Ryukishi proven them true. There were more way to convey the same damn message at how it make no sense and how the destin is cruel to Rika without necessary failling in the trap of shock value gorefest.

Not that's point was not made before anyway.
Ban me forever.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 am

I like the original Higurashi anime and have the disks on my shelf (they were one the harder sets for me to find when I was looking). But so far (and I'm behind in the watching) I have found the new version disappointing in comparison.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:55 am

View Original PostLine wrote:Or when said character said "Womens must be pure for the sacrifice" Eeeeew. I know it how some religions and even less extremes religious rituals traditions work "EX : no sexe before mariage" and I know
it was not necessary about the virgin purety, but with how this scene was handled I can't help but think of it. Got me some memories of Umineko...
I thought the purity thing was only about how Rika can't already be dead before being sacrificed to "Oyashiro-sama". I didn't quite get particularly sexual vibes from that- or at least, not anywhere near to the degree to the Umineko stuff you're alluding to.

With the brain thing, I thought Rika was only saying that to get Keiichi to quickly kill her as opposed to dragging things out so she could quickly get to the next loop. Really, that's how most of her deaths in this episode played to me.

I know I know the purpose was to said "Look how much Rika is suffering" but the point was already well made in the last three timelines "Onidamashi" "Watadamashi" "Tataridamashi" she got dragged in, particulary more cruel because she already did that's before and have got above the dilemmas of her life.
I think the difference is that those arcs played more like traditional When They Cry mysteries i.e. why did Rena go L5 in Onidamashi while she was normal in Onikakushi? These Nekodamashi deaths by comparison are seemingly random and happen so early in the timeline. Like I think Keiichi goes L5 at Angel Mort even before the Watanagashi festival happens here.

That's really the big point I'm trying to stress here- not just that Rika is despairing again, but is now dying in ways that seem to act as a hard counter to her methods from the OG Higurashi. "I don't even have time to catch my breath!"

Even in the first three arcs here seem designed to undo the winning methods from the equivalent arcs in the original- Keiichi trying to believe in his friends seems to be what triggers the tragedies to some extent (Though its really hard to say wtf was going on in Watadamashi with Shmion shenanigans possibly in play IMO). Nekodamashi is just putting pedal to the metal now.

Someone has it out for Rika, but its not yet clear who or why or how- presumably that's what the remaining episodes are going to explore.

At least, the precedents timelines, gorefest as they might be, did got messages. Sometime pretty preachy yes, but they did got messages, and to me in Higurashi, every timelines is a long trip to a important, initiatic message about life.
I think its bit early to say Gou doesn't have an overall message or theme its trying to get across, but tbh I thought the friendship stuff got pretty saccharine in the original anyways. Really, I think Ryukishi's writing gets kind of stupid when he starts focusing on his message over the way he can set a mysterious atmosphere and tone (Of which violence is a part of, but only a part). That's where his talents really lie IMO, and not what he has to say about the world. And boy, when he goes on about his message does he sometimes repeat it over and over and over and over and over and over again. I could go my whole life without having to read "Without love, it cannot be seen" again and it would be too soon!

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:27 pm

Every timeloops has something to teach you about life and different thematic and this is where lie the force of Higurashi. The sacharine friendship/love message was necessary in order to counter the excess amount of gore and people who were watching for that's. This excess of emotions in differents spectrum wether in the bad or good is what made Higurashi so compelling. Of course the brain muscle intellectual exercice is pretty entertaining too.

Higurashi Gou was perfect to convey a more grimdark depressing, existencial message about life, with maybe at the end, a greater hope coming or not.

The episode 15 of Higurashi Gou possess none of these things. Just a montage of sadistic fucks for sadistics people wanting to seeing blood and suffering in a sickening and awfully disturbing way. Look up what people writte. It either shock them (like me), or a lot of them write "This episode is so funny!" (<---Legit saw it on youtube comments and myanimelist)

On the higurashi reddit, there is also a disturbing amongs of memes that's JUST consist of seeing the characters/making jokes of them beaten to bloody pulp.

This episode isn't enriching or constructive in any fucking way. It can only be corrected by 1-being countered by explanations even if it's grimdark depressing

2-A break and a peek to what was Rika life in st lucia.

3-Rika beating this fate to a red pulp just like it do to her and her friends in this episode, and this time, REALLY for good.
Ban me forever.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:26 am

Tenchi Souzou Design-bu

A fun little info-dump show that reminds me of the style of Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika or Cells at Work! (which has a Season 3 this winter).

There's not really any story to be had, just a series of question-driven set ups by the show's would-be animal designers asking things like, "Why can't the there be Pegasi?" "What makes animals tasty?" "Are snakes truly OP?".

Designer personalities are meant to evoke those you might find in a design bureau, and the anthropomorphizing of evolution through their *debates* with one another is an enjoyable invitation into that process.

Episodes are broken up into three or four segments, so the pace is breezy and it allows pausing while I take notes for things to follow-up on as I go. Overall, just a welcomed watch-list addition for me this season.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:05 pm

Would any of you believe me if I said I watched Cleavage for the plot? :shifty: :tongue:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Would any of you believe me if I said I watched Cleavage for the plot? :shifty: :tongue:

Wait, there’s an anime with that title?

I can imagine what kind of show it would be.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:07 pm

For some reason the first genre that popped into my head upon reading that title was a spy thriller of some sort
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:19 pm

Higurashi Gou 16 sure was a gut wrenching experience!
SPOILER: Show
Seriously after episodes and episodes of playing a lot of the violence for more or less black comedy, getting something that brutal uh sure was a thing.

Like this was probably the first time I was actually sold on how horrifying the Watanagashi ritual really is, and man they did not pull any punches. Also it was a beach episode too, that was fun.

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:04 pm

I won't say lot, as much as I said before on reddit and youtube, because I still don't fucking know how to use the spoilers or how to place the text. (Someone please, can you show me a tuto screenshot sometime?)

So, I'm just gonna do generalisations, that's are going to be, mind you, kind of spoiler-ish in itself if you are a huge spoilers purist.

But, this is by FAR my favorite episode. Ever. It confirm and reenforce greatly the idea of Hanyuu/Featherine being the villain mastermind, using Satoko as puppet.

Is Satoko a looper and a culprit/mastermind? I dunno, but this episode certainly reenforce this stupid and cruel theory. That's it. Can't said more. Wish to. Sorry.
Ban me forever.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:40 pm

View Original PostLine wrote:I won't say lot, as much as I said before on reddit and youtube, because I still don't fucking know how to use the spoilers or how to place the text. (Someone please, can you show me a tuto screenshot sometime?)

[spoiler]Just do this; the text in here will be in the spoiler box (at least if you don't do the html fuckery I did to prevent it)[/spoiler]
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:22 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Really digging the soundtrack as I watch episodes 1 and 2 of IGPX Immortal Grand Prix!

However, I do have a nagging question. Does anyone here know the name of the song that plays at the beginning of episode 1 when Team Satomi is racing in the IG-2? I know the credits say it's "Atomic Moog" (Cornelius Mix)" by Coldcut but I listened to the song and compared it to the audio on the episode and let me tell you they sound nothing alike.

Not to sound desperate or anything but anybody here who has at least seen the beginning part of episode 1 could possibly help me out in this regard?
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:14 pm

I just finished watching Gunbuster; hot fucking damn.
Throughout the first five episodes, my sentiment was more along the lines of "Why do people say this is so good again? This is all way too fast and nothing has the weight it needs". And then the final episode dropped. Yeah, 8/10 show, go watch it

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Not to sound desperate or anything but anybody here who has at least seen the beginning part of episode 1 could possibly help me out in this regard?

Afraid I have not, sorry.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:17 am

So you hadn't watched Gunbuster before, eh? I must admit I had a mostly similar reaction to you, not having been all that impressed by the earlier episodes, but ending up liking the last couple of episodes a lot more. In the beginning, it seemed very much like your standard '80s mecha action anime, except with better direction and characters. It ended up acquiring this deeply melancholic tone and the last episode was particularly great for me. Nonetheless, it still didn't hit me very hard overall and while I wouldn't say it's the weakest Anno work I've seen, if only because Nadia was screwed over by NHK and is therefore weaker as a whole (though some individual episodes there, however, (16, 21, 22, 37, 38) are better than the entirety of Gunbuster for me), I would still say it's not a particularly strong work over-all. It's certainly a good anime and interesting to watch if you want more insight into the state of '80s mecha anime and Anno's beginnings, but besides from that, it's not particularly interesting or great.

For that matter, I actually like Diebuster more. While I would still say Gunbuster is probably better if I were to look things as objectively as I can, Diebuster has far more interesting ideas and executions and is in general more imaginative than Gunbuster ever was-couple that with the fact Tsurumaki is a good director (so there's no "technical" problems to be had) and Lal'C is a great character (for me at least), and I would much rather watch the sequel than I would the original.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:48 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Really don't see what all the commotion about EX-ARM is worth it. The animation may not be all that impressive and it may blatantly rip off certain sci fi properties but it's all around guilty pleasure fun.

Nitpick to be had is that every time Minami and Alma kiss to establish a link with Akira, their lips get censored. Ain't that a bitch?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:28 pm

Apart from Pui Pui Molcar (it's Molcar Monday again, folks), Yuru Camp Δ 2 is the only series of the season to so far catch my attention, so it's rewatch time on those cold, dark winter evenings. Modern-Day Magic for Dummies held up as rewatchable fluff; as I get to the closing stages of Tegami Bachi, I am surprised at quite how much of the latter quarter I'd forgotten over the past decade; and after the first few episodes of Noir, that I'd forgotten quite how much of each episode is flash-back, and the occasional QUALITY (necks and chins) but the episodes themselves have a pleasant air of familiarity ("I remember this one, it's the one where...").

From the backlog, I did finish Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz, which was definitely not as good as the previous season, and shall have to go rummaging for unwatched old stuff again.

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:every time Minami and Alma kiss to establish a link with Akira, their lips get censored.
Scurrilous suggestions have been made that this is to hide the models clipping.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:47 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:From the backlog, I did finish Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz, which was definitely not as good as the previous season, and shall have to go rummaging for unwatched old stuff again.
I watched through these Prisma Illyas last year and if I'm remembering what happened in it right I do think 2wei Herz was the worst of the bunch. Prisma Illya as a subfranchise is definitely a mixed bag (Though it does provide some amusing reaction face images at times), but FWIW I thought 3rei was the best series since it downplayed fairly dumb loli fanservice nonsense in favor of its actual story (And its own gags were funnier to me). The Oath Under Snow movie is also something of a followup on 3rei too and is pretty decent.

Its kind of sad that Prisma Illya is also closest thing we have to a Hollow Ataraxia anime.

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:10 am

I am watching Higurashi no naku koro ni and Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai.

It is the sequel and pre-sequel. I love this anime. It has an interesting plot which catches you until the end of the anime. Even it has an original game for PS2, PS3 and PS4. But I remember you can only play it in Japanese version.
PD: Higurashi pre-sequel is on Netflix but the sequel is on animeflv.
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:17 pm

Blockio wrote:I just finished watching Gunbuster; hot fucking damn.
Throughout the first five episodes, my sentiment was more along the lines of "Why do people say this is so good again? This is all way too fast and nothing has the weight it needs". And then the final episode dropped. Yeah, 8/10 show, go watch it

I watch Gunbustah about once a year(most recently a couple months ago) and each time I'm blown away by it. My feelings on it are kinda similar to my feelings on NGE, in that the second half of the series is definitely better than its first, but its first half is still better than most other anime series out there. And like with Eva I don't think there's a single wasted scene in any of its episodes. My highlight of the series is probably the battle that ends Episode 5, with the mighty Gunbuster saving the Earth with the power of friendship and love. It's def my favorite Gainax and Anno work besides for Evangelion.
I like Diebuster just fine but after a couple watches it hasn't really left a lasting impression on me; I don't like Tsurumaki's style as much as I do Anno's.

--------------------------------
Everything I'm watching this season is a sequel(or sequels to sequels): Re:Zero, Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, Cells at Work, Non Non Biyori, and Attack on Titan. There's some other shows from this season that I'm interested in, but I'll watch em later on; as much as I'd like to I can't just sit around and watch annimays all day :shinji_boohoo:

But yea, all the shows have been pretty sick. I just watched the first season of Dr. Stone for the first time in August and I kinda fell in love with it, so that's probably the show I'm looking forward to each week. I avoided the show back in 2019 because I didn't like the main character's design, but the series has a lot of charm, I think. It can be wacky and a bit corny at times but it's got an upbeat vibe to it that I can really dig.
Re:Zero has been spending a lot of time on Emilia, and I've found the last few episodes to be easier to follow than the rest of season 2, so that's been nice. I still haven't been enjoying it as much as its 2016 run, but it's still a good watch. Subaru's land dragon tackling Garfiel may end up as my favorite anime moment of the year.
I'd give my thoughts to SnK but don't want to spoil it/put in a spoiler box. But I will say that the show's current studio's animation does seem to be smoother and more natural than its former studio.

Older stuff I've watched the last couple weeks:
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed(but not Destiny). I was pleasantly surprised by this one, and found it to be much better than Wing or 00, even though I preferred the character and mecha design in the other two series. But I think Seed did an awesome job of epitomizing one of the thoughts that's at the core of the Gundam universe, which is "war is stupid." And then the tragedy that in order to end war you've got to make war. I was really impressed with Kira's character arc, and I thought the way the show handled all the young pilots struggles was really well done. Kamille is still my favorite Gundam pilot, but I think Kira was the most sympathetic and believable. I'll probably watch Destiny in a couple months.
Wave, Listen to Me! is a nice little series about radio. It's carried by its main character Minare, who's a bit of a fuck up in her public and private life but who owns it in a way that makes her really likable. The show reminds me a bit of one of my favorites, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, since we've got a main character using their story telling skills to find themselves. Wave is more of a comedy, but in both once the character's get to talking it's completely mesmerizing.
Also did a rewatch of Shin Sekai Yori, which is such an amazing series and probably one of the finest of the 21st Century. I do think it's a bit of a tough watch because the environments and music create such an absolute feeling of dread but the universe that the series is able to create is just so interesting, with the monster rats and the death of shame and all that.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Return to “Anime and Manga”