EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Re: EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:16 am

First of all we have to see how Misato could react when she saw Shinji, if the theory that she really used the DSS choker to try to finish the fourth impact was true she would be shocked and happy to see him again but she would hide it remaining cold as usual, while perhaps the rest of the crew would be furious and disappointed (especially Midori) to see that Shinji is still alive and now they will have to endure his presence, also some characters may ask why Misato didn't kill him after what he did and maybe they will demand his sentence to death, which Misato will refuse stoically. I believe that Shinji will have a single camera with video surveillance with a hidden camera so that Misato can always keep an eye on him and Shinji will not be able to leave her room without permission.It would make sense if only Asuka, Mari, Sakura and Misato herself can access to his room to see him and talk to him.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 am

I don't think they want his blood & guts more than they admire/respect/idolize Misato
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:00 am

I think people vastly overstate how much Shinji is actually not liked in Q by the Wille crew just because the scene is framed by Shinji's point of view, I would be surprised if they don't threat Shinji relatively well in Shin.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 am

Kendrix I don't doubt the loyalty of Maya, Hyuga, Aoba and Sakura, but let's remember that Ritsuko was pushing Misato to kill Shinji and probably the younger members of Wille (like Midori and Tama) as they don't know Shinji well and see him as the responsible of the Near Third Impact could lose faith in Misato if she does not decide to kill him. I'm curious to see how Kaji, Toji, Kensuke and Hikari (if they're alive of course) will behave towards Shinji. Kaji will probably be the same because he knew that Gendo would use his son to do horrible things, Kensuke and Toji will have mixed feelings but they will be less cold than Asuka and Misato, while Hikari I don't know didn't interact much with Shinji. How nice it would be if we found out that Pen Pen is still alive too ^_^

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 am

Misato was very smart to not kill Shinji, we all know if she did order to kill Shinji and succeeded everything would come tumbling down :eva01_roar: ... there's actually a very BIG pressure and reason to not kill Shinji, they also may actually need him to advance their plans since three EVA can't do much.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:20 am

EscapismIsBad I like your theory, but if we are to be realistic I think Misato didn't kill Shinji because to her he is still her "little brother"/people in whom she mirrors herself to some extent. And I have reason to believe that Misato has been hoping for not to find herself in a situation where they will be forced to let Shinji pilot. It will be interesting to find out where Shinji found his old plugsuit and who might have given it to him. One thing that really surprised me is the fact that no one seems to have expressed an opinion on why in the trailer the Eva 01 seems to have a damaged eye (only one blinks, although it may be that this is due to the camera in the trailer at that frame) and both arms, when at the end of 2.0 the situation was reversed.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 am

^
Indeed! You're right and I completely agree, It just make it all more painful to know that Shinji because he was trying to convince Misato and the others caused 4th Impact as a consequence, Misato is such a tragedy in Rebuild... I think most people who have problems understanding why Misato reacted so coldly to Shinji in 3.0 didn't even understand the relationship between Misato and Shinji since 1.0. It may be possible Misato still has Shinji plugsuit restored in some special place.
Aside from Episode 19 I never, EVER noticed the EVAs can blink, weird. I think the fight between 13 and 01 is happening inside Instrumentality.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:40 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I think people vastly overstate how much Shinji is actually not liked in Q by the Wille crew just because the scene is framed by Shinji's point of view, I would be surprised if they don't threat Shinji relatively well in Shin.

FACTS

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:46 am

@ EscapismIsBad Misato could be defined as Captain Nemo by Nadia in the Rebuilds, as has been assumed for years on the web and on this forum. I don't know if she may have kept Shinji's plugsuit, it may well be that Gendo may want Shinji to pilot the Eva 01 again after perhaps recovering it (since perhaps Wille may have messed up her initial plan) while he will sacrifice himself to Evangelion 13 with the Nebuchadnezzar's Key giving to the Eva 13 his soul and taking control of it. I have no idea what the end result of Instrumentality might be but a final fight on a higher and metaphysical plane of existence might be liked by the more hardcore Evangelion fans (who love series like Gurran Lagan and want that the series was more mecha and science fiction) but at the same time hated by those who liked the series for her psychology. I don't know if I should believe that Anno is crazy enough to offer us stuff like that, I feel 50% about this idea.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:13 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I think people vastly overstate how much Shinji is actually not liked in Q by the Wille crew just because the scene is framed by Shinji's point of view, I would be surprised if they don't threat Shinji relatively well in Shin.

Well, I'd say that the whole "WILLE doesn't really hate Shinji" theory isn't very well supported by the movie. Remember when everyone on the bridge was giving Shinji the stink-eye, looking at him like he's Hitler or something? Misato gave him this cold emotionless look the whole time, and when Asuka saw him for the first time she wanted to punch him in the face. Unless Shinji has schizophrenia or something and just imagined all those cold looks and hatred, I think that WILLE genuinely hates Shinji because of his role in Third Impact.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:15 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98#907554 wrote:One thing that really surprised me is the fact that no one seems to have expressed an opinion on why in the trailer the Eva 01 seems to have a damaged eye (only one blinks, although it may be that this is due to the camera in the trailer at that frame) and both arms, when at the end of 2.0 the situation was reversed.

I'm surprised the hardcore loopers from 4chin and Plebbit haven't latched onto this as SOOPER EBIDENCE of a sequel because "that's where eva01 got stabbed in nge ep. 2" like they did with Mark.06's forehead mask bolts, because they love to purposefully ignore the scene where it regrows the eye in the same episode.

(conflict of interest: I am a fence sitting mild looper, I partially support it in the meta sense, it's like poetry, it rhymes. I think both rabid "true believer" loopers and pedantic "I'm smarter than you" anti-loopers are disgusting. Nadia parallels are more important to me)
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:16 pm

Oh god not the loop talk again.

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
View Original PostJoseki#907549 wrote:I think people vastly overstate how much Shinji is actually not liked in Q by the Wille crew just because the scene is framed by Shinji's point of view, I would be surprised if they don't threat Shinji relatively well in Shin.

Well, I'd say that the whole "WILLE doesn't really hate Shinji" theory isn't very well supported by the movie. Remember when everyone on the bridge was giving Shinji the stink-eye, looking at him like he's Hitler or something? Misato gave him this cold emotionless look the whole time, and when Asuka saw him for the first time she wanted to punch him in the face. Unless Shinji has schizophrenia or something and just imagined all those cold looks and hatred, I think that WILLE genuinely hates Shinji because of his role in Third Impact.

Mari and Sakura seem fine with him though.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:04 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:@ EscapismIsBad Misato could be defined as Captain Nemo by Nadia in the Rebuilds, as has been assumed for years on the web and on this forum. I don't know if she may have kept Shinji's plugsuit, it may well be that Gendo may want Shinji to pilot the Eva 01 again after perhaps recovering it (since perhaps Wille may have messed up her initial plan) while he will sacrifice himself to Evangelion 13 with the Nebuchadnezzar's Key giving to the Eva 13 his soul and taking control of it. I have no idea what the end result of Instrumentality might be but a final fight on a higher and metaphysical plane of existence might be liked by the more hardcore Evangelion fans (who love series like Gurran Lagan and want that the series was more mecha and science fiction) but at the same time hated by those who liked the series for her psychology. I don't know if I should believe that Anno is crazy enough to offer us stuff like that, I feel 50% about this idea.

Yes, yes. Though, I don't know why Gendo would steal Unit 01, it certainly isn't to power up the Neo Wunder since it's HEAVILY implied 13 is the power source, but at the same time Reichu implied because of the color from the Gates of Guf 01 is somehow involved during the Final Impact (BUT 01 IS INSIDE THE WUNDER, HOW IS IT?) and Reichu is always strangely right, very curious. Evangelion is always over the top, we won't be disappointed.

@FXArmaros98, let's move to another thread, the thread of the new trailer, this discussion doesn't fit so much here and apparently the mods agree with that thought. I have more exciting ideas to discuss with you.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:00 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Well, I'd say that the whole "WILLE doesn't really hate Shinji" theory isn't very well supported by the movie. Remember when everyone on the bridge was giving Shinji the stink-eye, looking at him like he's Hitler or something? Misato gave him this cold emotionless look the whole time, and when Asuka saw him for the first time she wanted to punch him in the face. Unless Shinji has schizophrenia or something and just imagined all those cold looks and hatred, I think that WILLE genuinely hates Shinji because of his role in Third Impact.

I agree that they don't necessarly like him, but going from "they stared at him coldly" to "they absolutely hate him" is a leap.

Asuka doesn't count because she was always pretty mean even when she just met him, she is just like that.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm

EscapismIsBad ok let's move on to the trailer thread but I still have to make other comments in this thread.
Mari and Sakura seem fine with him though.
Sakaru gets on well with Shinji because she practically forced herself to see him as her brother's friend and not as the emissary of the apocalypse. While for Mari I personally support the theory that he has connection with the woman in the photo that Fuyutsuki showed has Shinji in 3.0. She seems to have known Shinji for some time (she calls him Nerv Puppy's Boy shortly after meeting and analyzing his smell), from his appearance he could be 2 or 3 years older than Shinji, maybe she has known him from the times when maybe they were together in some laboratory. Mari knows too many things, to the point that perhaps only Kaworu, Gendo, Ritsuko and SEELE know more about the Adams, the Evangelions and the Instrumentality more than her and let's not forget in Avant 1 she expressed her desire to find him.
WILLE genuinely hates Shinji because of his role in Third Impact.
@ BusterMachine4
I believe Maya, Ritsuko, Hyuga and Aoba saw him like as a traitor and a threat but they don't totally hate him like people believe. While the young members of Wille (whose males are apparently only useful for receiving Maya's scornful jokes) hate him (especially Midori) because for them he is evil in person, since they knew nothing about him except being responsible for the advancement of Nerv's planes, about the adults who did not know Shinji I don't know, maybe Kaji if he's alive told them that Shinji isn't really that bad. Regarding Asuka and Misato, the discussion is very different. The German girl had a crush on the protagonist, too bad that all she got was Shinji unable to protect her and almost destroy the world for another. Love / Hate maybe ... Misato is really bad emotionally, she don't hate him, she still loves him to some extent but 0 trust in him.
I'm surprised the hardcore loopers from 4chin and Plebbit haven't latched onto this as SOOPER EBIDENCE of a sequel because "that's where eva01 got stabbed in nge ep. 2" like they did with Mark.06's forehead mask bolts, because they love to purposefully ignore the scene where it regrows the eye in the same episode.
Instead of the time loop/sequel, I expected someone to mention time travel
Oh god not the loop talk again.
ShinjiStranglesAsuka I know that in this forum people are fed up with the time loop but there is something I feel I have to tell Heaven Piercing Man
(conflict of interest: I am a fence sitting mild looper, I partially support it in the meta sense, it's like poetry, it rhymes. I think both rabid "true believer" loopers and pedantic "I'm smarter than you" anti-loopers are disgusting. Nadia parallels are more important to me)
It seems that there are not only references to Nadia, some fans in Rebuild say there are also references to Gunbuster, I have not seen Gunbuster so I don't know if this is true. There is another category of looper, those that claim a link between ANIMA and Rebuild. This theory was born in 2013 on the Japanese site 2chan, and for years it has become a topic of discussion on 4chan's Cute-Male Threads dedicated to Kawoshin.Heaven Piercing Man if you want to know more about this go to the last pages of the ANIMA thread.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Will check. Moving on...
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:48 pm

Waiting for the camrip of the new preview for Shin... even blurry images would be enough.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:53 pm

EscapismIsBad according to Saint Eva they should show us these images
View Original PostSaint Eva wrote:The description of new teaser at the end of 3.333 hints the Shinji's face-off with Gendo happens after Wunder vs Dark Wunder in final impact, with a scene showing Eva01 back in its cage with Gendo. "Shinji confronts his father Gendo to settle everything." And Shinji decides, farewell to all Evangelion."
If Eva01 is back with Gendo in his floating pyramid then I don't think Misato and WILLE have any choice. I am guessing Gendo captured Eva01 from WILLE during their battle and maybe he wants Shinji to pilot again for some nefarious reasons? That's why Shinji already have his plugsuit on.
I'd love to talk to you about this in the trailer thread later.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:24 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:Misato was very smart to not kill Shinji,

You're saying like it was a conscious decision, but it really wasn't - she had her arm stretched out, her finger on the trigger.
She couldn't do it for emotional reasons, because she has a little bit of emotional attachment left cause he was once something like her adopted son or little brother.

I mean at this point she's devoted most of her life to the defense of humanity; Shinji and Asuka are the only children she'll ever have.

Also Ritsuko wasn't "pushing her to kill him" cause she wants him dead so badly but because he can still be used as a trigger.
You'll notice that Ritsuko does a lot of the talking because she's able to be objective & cold about everything while everyone else has a bundle of emotions. She never cared about Shinji to begin with so she wouldn't feel betrayed... or have define all her life like the younger WILLE members.
Tama must have been a child during NTI, and Kitakami a toddler.
I'd also see her reactions through the lens that she is young & emotional though, like I don't think her grudge is necessarily that much stronger rather she's doing less to keep it under wraps.

Sakura is forcing herself to be polite out of morals (and that's all anyone can expect from her under the circumstances & still more than most do), but all her lines are super awkward here & there it comes out that she doesn't really think so differently from the others (look how her voice changes when she says "that isn't ever coming off")

Mari genuinely doesn't seem to blame him for the same reason as Kaworu - they understand enough of the plan to know he's just a pawn. Though I doubt that Shinji found much comfort in her "Get a hang of yourself & man up!" speech. She meant it constructively ("Asuka is not dead yet, focus on that.") Being so unfazed by everything all the time makes her simultaneously more & less sympathetic, which I think is kinda cool.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:You're saying like it was a conscious decision, but it really wasn't - she had her arm stretched out, her finger on the trigger.
She couldn't do it for emotional reasons, because she has a little bit of emotional attachment left cause he was once something like her adopted son or little brother. I mean at this point she's devoted most of her life to the defense of humanity; Shinji and Asuka are the only children she'll ever have. Mari genuinely doesn't seem to blame him for the same reason as Kaworu - they understand enough of the plan to know he's just a pawn. Though I doubt that Shinji found much comfort in her "Get a hang of yourself & man up!" speech. She meant it constructively ("Asuka is not dead yet, focus on that.") Being so unfazed by everything all the time makes her simultaneously more & less sympathetic, which I think is kinda cool.
I agree with what you said, but I think Mari is hiding something from her past that could bond her to Shinji.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”