Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:40 am

@ kuribo-04 you're right late February and early March it seems a little early, and I don't want me or other fans to have false hopes. I am curious to see the actions of the Japanese government after February 7 (the date on which the current state of emergency is expected to end). I would honestly feel happy and lucky if they managed to release it in late spring after the vaccine was released.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:52 am

CD Japan is still showing the release date for One Last Kiss as "undetermined". Amazon.co.jp has "31st Dec 2021" which is obviously a placeholder.

I think it's too soon to be trying to predict a new date.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Have a feelig the film is planned for the end of february, but they're looking at how things develop before they get anyone's hopes up.

Khara will totally avoid doing that again to people, I reckon it will be a very short notice job like 2 weeks before release notice.

Still think they are missing out on putting it out digitally also worldwide.

Because I would bet that the people who really want to see this movie would not want it to be spoiled. If they did put it out worldwide pay per view people would buy it on release. Because everyone wants to know at the same time what happens instead of it being potentially spoiled before

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 am

Thesufferingpumpkin this film is becoming a real source of stress and impatience, at this point I believe that many fans (including me) now only care about the film's release date and not the way it is released.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 am

Apple still has the march 3 date for what it's worth.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:04 am

Well at least for the moment I don't think we have to fear that the film will be moved until 2022, if after February 7 the government does not impose a total lockdown with an uncertain date regarding the conclusion of it the film in the worst case could be released in late summer in the autumn months. However, I still hope that thanks to the vaccine the film will be released between the end of spring and the beginning of summer.@ kuribo-04 I would very much hope that the date of One Last Kiss and the Doraemon movie can give us some clues, but I'm too afraid to simply have illusions (:|

ArtyumR
Adam

Postby ArtyumR » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:07 am

best case scenario: shin eva is released in june or july.
worst case scenario: it's released in november or postponed next year because at the time being is not profitable.

P.S. off-topic.
I'm not interested anymore so whatever the case it's the same. also for what I know gundam hathaway will premiere in theaters nationwide in Japan on May 7th, 2021 and Sunrise have got release plans outside Japan (US , UK ..) so looking forward to that I guess.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:29 am

ArtyumR if at the moment the next Gundam and Doraemon films have not officially received an announcement that required a shift of their date it could means that 3.0 + 1.0 in the best of cases can be screened just during the months in which the Gundam and Doraemon movies should come out.If the Japanese government orders the closure of cinemas for an indefinite period due to a possible increase in the numbers of contagions in the next few months, then the film realy risks being postponed to 2022.I just realized that I am a fool, because it may be that the Khara may fear competition from the Gundam and Doraemon movies so having used their date as a reference point to speculate a date for 3.0 + 1.0 is not it really was a brilliant move :facepalm: Heck the Doraemon and Gundam movie could really pose a threat to box office gain of 3.0 + 1.0 big enough to push the Khara people to try and convince Toho and Toei to release the movie in the summer instead of the time when more movies are planned very popular series in Japan (:|

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:54 am

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:best case scenario: shin eva is released in june or july.

That is my worst case scenario.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:59 am

I’m going to speculate on an announcement February 7th for a release date some time next month. And I’m going to continue to speculate other possible dates until I’m right about one.

Surely if I made 365 different possibilities one of them will be right :^)
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 pm

kuribo-04for me it is not only the pandemic that will make it difficult to get the film before the summer but also this
View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote: Heck the Doraemon and Gundam movie could really pose a threat to box office gain of 3.0 + 1.0 big enough to push the Khara people to try and convince Toho and Toei to release the movie in the summer instead of the time when more movies are planned very popular series in Japan (:|
As I said in my previous post, the competition at the box office could be a big thorn in the side if 3.0 + 1.0 is released immediately after the winter and in the spring months, so at the financial level it would be better to release the film when there are no other films very popular series. Japan is the land of anime so I know that should be almost impossible that Evangelion will not have a tough rival at the cinema so I think we have to wait for the right moment for the release.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:22 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Heck the Doraemon and Gundam movie could really pose a threat to box office gain of 3.0 + 1.0

I understand with Doraemon since the films are known for the crazy BO numbers, even the terrible ones like Movie 2012 (trust me, as a longtime fan, it's really terrible) because the primary target audience is children with their parents. Last year's annual film, Nobita's New Dinosaur is considered to have underperformed with "only" $30M and that speaks a lot about this franchise's BO history.

However, as much as I love Gundam, its recent theatrical releases don't have impressive box office records. The Gundam 00 Movie ($10M) and Narrative ($6M) combined couldn't even match Evangelion: 1.0's final BO numbers in 2007 ($18M). Hathaway's Flash does have a main attraction point by being a long-awaited adaptation of a rather infamous novel, Sunrise have also been billing it as an official Char's Counterattack sequel and that film is legendary, so it migh pose quite a competition for Shin.

Meanwhile, we have the ultra divisive Evangelion: 3.0 and that film still rakes in a grand total of $60M theatrical gross. I really don't think we need to worry much about Shin underperforming even if it ends up being on 3.0's level of audience reception.
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:26 pm

It all depends on how well/quick the vaccine rollout goes
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:30 pm

GhostlyOcam however, I continue to be afraid that competition at the box office will have a bearing on the release date. We hope that this film will be released sooner than we fear and still make a good cash.Kendrix the vaccine is really an unknown at this time. Hope it helps.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Don’t know whether is the subject of honour but the hype and build up because of nearly a decade of waiting for 1 final movie is so huge.

Of course toho would feel butt hurt if they released it with cinemas having to have lots of empty seats for social distancing.

I seriously think it would destroy Tohos heart to see this film go on record as having a low box office even though we are obviously in a pandemic

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:56 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It all depends on how well/quick the vaccine rollout goes

Japan isn't scheduled to even start until the end of February fyi.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:12 pm

hui43210 that's right, that's a problem too. I don't think the film can get a new date without at least some of the Japanese population getting vaccinated. I believe they could only reopen cinemas to people who present a medical certificate proving they have received the vaccine or are negative for the virus. I think we will have to wait for what the Japanese government decides to do after February 7 and the distribution of vaccines.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:22 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:hui43210 that's right, that's a problem too. I don't think the film can get a new date without at least some of the Japanese population getting vaccinated. I believe they could only reopen cinemas to people who present a medical certificate proving they have received the vaccine or are negative for the virus. I think we will have to wait for what the Japanese government decides to do after February 7 and the distribution of vaccines.

You're probably right on this one. Personally, I think the main factor in this delay is Toho/Toei knows Shin can have a BO on par with Demon Slayer, but it won't get there under the current laws. Until theaters can be filled at all times again, I don't think it gets released.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:27 pm

hui43210 another problem in my opinion is that the Doraemon and Gundam movies have not yet received a delay on the date. The box office competition could be a thorn in the side almost as big as the pandemic for the possible new date of the film.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:28 pm

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:best case scenario: shin eva is released in june or july.

God, to think last year I was completely convinced shin eva would only release in Summer 2021.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”