Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:43 pm

As the reality of this sinks in, the more it hurts.
"It's just a movie", but knowing the joy it will bring me, this stings. And like I've said before, I would handle it better if my future wasn't so freakin uncertain. Where will I be in a year. What will I be doing? Will I even have a blurayplayer lol (I went the first half of 2020 without one, so I know the feel of having a long awaited film (Promare) come out and not watching it).

I just need this film. I realize not thinking about it so much would be better, but Eva social media keeps being so dramatic about it (which they have the right to) that I empathize with them and then think about how much the world currently sucks and it is even worse.

I feel kind of ridiculous caring so much I guess, but I think it's no coincidence that this has never happened to me with any piece of media. The year sucking and the long wait make me sad. :(
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 pm

You Will (Not) Be Fine.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Nobody wants to be swimming in spoilers and fake Shin Eva reviews and reports more than I do right now. Sucks that it can’t be next week.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:34 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:did certain not-very-legal uploads of them appear on certain not-very-legal websites on the same night as release, or was there a wait period?
Q, unusually, had an audio rip appear within a few days of release (the first commit to the subtitling repo based off that leak was on the 18th of November). For the previous movies, it took until releases into laxer parts of Asia happened before cam rips appeared.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:46 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Is Anno supposed to pay his employees with love and kindness instead?

I "love" how people forget the "business" aspect of these films. They're blockbusters, first and foremost with a lot of money being poured into the production and marketing, he'd need those sweet, sweet Eva money among other things to pay his people and keep Khara operational. If they delay Shin because the financial forecast during an emergency state isn't good, that's totally justifiable.

I also want to believe Sejoon Kim's words about Khara paying animators more than most studios out there, because Anno knows the struggles of being an animator from his early days in the industry.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

HARVEST
Adam

Postby HARVEST » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:12 pm

What if they release 3.0+1.0 early on home video before it hits theatres but only as a physical 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray but no 2K Blu-ray or DVD?
The reason being that 4K UHD is a bit harder to crack than 2K Blu-ray, 4K UHD drives being less common, and to get more people to upgrade to 4K UHD players. It would also be released alongside a 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD release of 3.333.
And this would also be a better alternative than just streaming the film since Japan still prefers physical media.

Then after the virus gets contained to the point that they can release the film theatrically, they can release an updated version called 3.33+1.11 in theatres so there is some more incentive for people who bought the early 4K release to watch it in cinemas again.
And some time after the theatrical release, they release another updated version called 3.333+1.111, this time in 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:53 pm

You don't think at least one person on ~tHe sCeNe~ has the necessary hardware to rip the movie?
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:56 pm

If people want an English film to compare this with its James Bond, no time to die

Slated for April 2020, moved to October 2020 and now set to open April 2021 all because of the pandemic.

This film unlike some others has also not been released digitally before the cinema

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 am

A sweet little image I found that describes everyone's feelings at the moment.

God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 am

^ Mood.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:17 am

View Original PostTajai wrote:A sweet little image I found that describes everyone's feelings at the moment.

I think we'll be lucky if we can get the Olympics during 2022

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:00 am

You know what, if they want to follow the old pattern (showing a new trailer in front of a hotly-anticipated film), Toho's next big release is Doraemon: Nobita's Little Star Wars in early March. But it's a bit unlikely since Doraemon is aimed for kids and a March update means it'd take longer for Shin to come out. :uhh:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:01 am

Honestly, I'm really worried if this is gonna be another year before the film gets released, as COVID-19 shows no signs of stopping, meaning the acceptable period of time and safety that they perceive as being the moment to release the film could be far off. Just how long do they intend on keeping this now completed film hostage? The "indefinitely" descriptive is probably the most disheartening thing of all.

At the very least, I hope that they give a rough estimate after February 7th, the last day of the lockdown.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 am

LightDragonman I don't think there can really be a risk that the movie should be screened in 2022. I mean at least for now the poster says Coming 2021, also in the spring the vaccine will have already been injected at least to a small part of the Japanese population, which is really worrying is the fact that after February 7 their government for fear of damaging the economy will not impose stricter restrictions on social life in the coming winter months. If they managed the pandemic well in the winter and spring months, in the summer the cinemas could reopen with new safety regulations.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:If people want an English film to compare this with its James Bond, no time to die

Slated for April 2020, moved to October 2020 and now set to open April 2021 all because of the pandemic.

This film unlike some others has also not been released digitally before the cinema

I'd put my money on No Time To Die going to streaming, and the rumor is that this has been in the works:

https://bgr.com/2020/10/23/james-bond-n ... s-netflix/

Godzilla vs. Kong just moved UP its streaming release date a couple of months. If a movie like that can be released online, I don't know why some seem certain that it can't happen to Eva.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:10 am

Warren Peace yes, but recently it has been confirmed that Godzilla vs Kong will be out in theaters as well as in streaming. The folks at Khara, Toho and Toei should argue whether they would all agree to make a similar decision.

HARVEST
Adam

Postby HARVEST » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:04 am

Toho is also set to distribute Godzilla vs. Kong in March, the same month as the new Doraemon movie.
Not that it stopped them before. After all, they released Shin Godzilla and Your Name. at the exact same day and both did really well at the Japanese box office, with Your Name. getting a boost from the Chinese and British box office.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Weathering With You, Detective Pikachu, Promare, Hobbes and Shaw and The Secret Life of Pets 2 were all released around the same time and distributed by Toho in Japan.
They also released Lupin the 3rd: The First and Cats (2019) at around the same time, and Japan was one of, if not the only country where Cats was actually successful.

Nothing's stopping Toho from releasing Shin Eva, GvK and Doraemon within the same month.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:30 am

God I hope this isn't disappointing like Cyberpunk 2077 is, or worse.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:31 am

HARVEST wait a minute. You said the Doraemon movie is scheduled for March of this year, right? One Last Kiss has March 3 as a sale date, which means that maybe 3.0 + 1.0 could also be released in March. Heck let's hope we really get that lucky.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 am

Have a feelig the film is planned for the end of february, but they're looking at how things develop before they get anyone's hopes up.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”