Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Shin Eva's Indefinite Delay Support Group

Postby Archer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:31 pm

I can't say I'm surprised at all, but it's still disappointing. That being said, I wasn't planning on watching a crappy camrip anyways, so here's to hoping they use the extra time pushing out the blu-ray or, god willing, wrangling a distribution deal for a simultaneous Western release whenever they're ready.

Does Toho have any rules & regulations with regards to the timeline of physical media releases? I'd assume that they'd at least require the movie to finish its theatrical run before they'll allow a blu-ray release but I have no idea how they actually do these things.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:03 pm

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:Some people in this forum obviously lack reading comprehension.

And some just seem to lack any understanding of the world.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Does nobody read mod-posts any more?

DON'T TOUCH THE POOP!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:11 pm

5284973 wrote:Does Toho have any rules & regulations with regards to the timeline of physical media releases? I'd assume that they'd at least require the movie to finish its theatrical run before they'll allow a blu-ray release but I have no idea how they actually do these things.

Most anime films in general are released on home videos in a 6 months to a year range depending on how successful they are on theaters, so longevity plays a role in that. From what I know, the Toho-distributed Your Name took a year to come out on home video (August 2016-July 2017).

As for Rebuild itself, it has rather messy home video release pattern:
- 1.01 came out around six months after the theatrical 1.0 release (September 2007-April 2008) and the 1.11 update on May 2009.

- 2.22 took ten months after 2.0 to come out (July 2009-May 2010), probably because they had to animate a few new scenes and do minor audio/visual adjustments. The "2.02" version is never released on home video but instead becomes the TV airing version.

- 3.33 came out the fastest (April 2013), only more or less five months after 3.0 (November 2012). An updated version called 3.333 is currently on the big screen in Japan with no news about the home video release so far.

So based on this release history, the home video release range for Shin is either as early as five months to a year after, depends on how it fares on the big screen.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby EscapismIsBad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:31 pm

A bit off topic, but it's somehow funny how some people react so dramatically to this fact, it kinda reminds of the absolute emotional tantrum and drama Asuka made in the original series, It does raise some serious questions too... :emogendo:
Obviously this is not exclusive to Evageeks of course
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:51 pm

Making use of 100% of my willpower here to "not touch the poop". Some people here need a reality check, that's all I'm gonna say.

And as for why the wait has felt so long...years in your teens feel longer. I watched 3.0 eight years ago, but in my mind I watched it 37 years ago.

Also, yes, Toho are being hypocrites. Which doesn't mean delaying isn't good.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:05 pm

Ironic that the film series that keeps blue-balling the apocalypse is now getting blue-balled by the apocalypse.

I had just started my engineering Bachelor's when I first saw 3.0. Now I'm in the last leg of my robotics PhD, learned Japanese, and even lived in Japan to work on robots. I was even planning a trip back to Japan around this movie, but as frustrating as it is, a film isn't worth compromising the safety of others and oneself.

待つしかない。
i want rebuild

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:27 pm

Whatever happened with that contest where they wanted to decide the "number one Eva fan" so that person could see the film early. Is it possible that one person has seen the film, and holds the power to spoil us all?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:33 pm

Oh boy here we go again, another long post.

In my opinion, both the moral and financial forecast-based decisions are equally justifiable.

As Yamashita said, he really can't bring himself to say "Go see the film, everyone!" when people are being encouraged to not go outside for the time being. That's just basic human decency when people are literally dying and medical workers are working really hard to save them. It really is not worth dying or endangering other people's lives just for a film.

The best thing non-infectees could do is to just stay at home, wear a mask if they go outside, avoid crowds if possible, or anything that could prevent the virus from spreading even wider. I'd rather have Shin delayed for this reason than them being selfish and release it in the middle of an emergency, then reviled by people for it and flopping on the box office. God, that would've been the biggest black mark in the franchise's history, even moreso than the numerous delays this film suffers until now.

Afraid of the film flopping because of screening hour limitations so they delay the release until it's safer? Why not? Shin Eva is a blockbuster first and foremost, not an independent arthouse work. There's a lot of money being poured both in production and marketing fronts. They have to gain their money back and more through the box office and this is not the right time to do that.

Anno even honestly said that Eva money is important for Khara if they want to stay operational in the 10th anniversary interview and that's totally fine, he's an industry player and should know what's best for him and his people at the studio. As the biggest dog in Khara, I'm 99% sure he also made the judgement call for this delay along with Toho execs for this reason alone.

As for REVIVAL and 3.333's case, they aren't the only films being released on the first days of emergency, there's Gintama: The Final and some other films I don't really remember the title. There was a period of uncertainty whether there will be a lockdown again or not and I'm pretty sure the DCPs were already sent and schedules were already made at that time, the emergency announcement was made so close to these releases so they'd might as well test the waters and we see how "well" it turned out.

However, Shin Eva was still more than a week away and there's still enough time to pull it back before the arrangements are finalized. With this delay, I doubt the DCPs are already sent to theaters and that explains why we haven't heard of anything about the runtime yet. REVIVAL and 3.333 are special occasion limited releases anyway so I don't think they were hoping much for them to make a lot of money, Shin Eva is the top priority and biggest chance for them to hit another successful new release, when the time is right. And this ain't it, chief.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:44 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Whatever happened with that contest where they wanted to decide the "number one Eva fan" so that person could see the film early.

I mentioned in one of these threads (sorry, they kinda blur together -o-; ) that Khara had a Tweet commenting how the contest winners would be contacted. So I'd assume whenever the new/final release date is announced, the winners will get to privately see it before then?

Personally, I'm just glad the seiyuu + Yamashita and others (e.g. my previous post in here) are encouraging the fans to keep patient. IMO, it's reassuring they're so excited about the final product, and can't wait for everyone to see it in safer times!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:48 pm

∆ Yeah, I expect an amazing film.

But that makes it hurt a little more too lol.

So I guess te person in question would watch it like a day or two before the film then.

Also, is Ogata talking about a trailer here?

Could be Spanish auto translate just confusing me.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:50 pm

I strive to be like this random Twitter user posting on Khara's most recent delay announcement.

The posts from the cast and crew are reassuring. It's nice to see them all genuinely excited about a new project they've been working over for the past few years. Hopefully, we can all see it in one, giant, International simultaneous release.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 pm

kuribo-04: Ah, she did narration (as Shinji?) for this collaboration (I'd assume) called ZIP. I'm uncertain what it is, since all I know is WinZIP :tongue:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Shuichi Iseki (animator) is probably the biggest Shin hype boy I've seen among the staffs yet with how he said he cried a lot during the preview screening, got royally pissed off at the delay like everyone else, and then there's this:

He pretty much said that the film is so good it won't hurt to wait a little bit longer and asked everyone to be patiant about it. :lol:

I believe you, sir. I believe you. :rei_poke:
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby dzzthink » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:56 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:Ironic that the film series that keeps blue-balling the apocalypse is now getting blue-balled by the apocalypse.

I had just started my engineering Bachelor's when I first saw 3.0. Now I'm in the last leg of my robotics PhD, learned Japanese, and even lived in Japan to work on robots. I was even planning a trip back to Japan around this movie, but as frustrating as it is, a film isn't worth compromising the safety of others and oneself.

待つしかない。

Lol. Just keep living life, I suppose (maybe build your own eva).

By the way it is interesting that they posted the exact same trailer on the khara Youtube account but with the dates unconfirmed at the end, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1klJIyx060&t=12s. I was hoping they could at least provide different scenes for us to watch while we wait but it seems like there are no changes whatsoever. Interestingly, the audio in the new trailer sounds better and you can hear a lot clearer the words 'I love you more than you will know' at the end of the clip.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Pluto » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 pm

To be honest, the news is disappointing but not surprising. Even though the theatres are open, tickets were unable to reserved ahead of time on all the theatre websites at all major chains.

Knowing the popularity of eva and the promotion that's been going with it for the past year, it makes sense to wait to release when things aren't so hectic. In Japan it seems we're going back into lockdown until February. As for me, my job is having me telework until the second week of February. Even though it's wait and see for now. We probably won't be hearing anything about the release until then.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby EscapismIsBad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:07 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Whatever happened with that contest where they wanted to decide the "number one Eva fan" so that person could see the film early. Is it possible that one person has seen the film, and holds the power to spoil us all?

The Fruit of Spoilers is held by Khara. The Fruit of Speculation is held by Man. Number One Eva Fan now possesses them both, and therefore becomes God. Now the source of all information; The Tree of Life; has been formed again. Will it be an Ark to save Mankind from the madness of spoilers? Or is it a demon that will spoil us all? The fate of Mankind now lies in Number One Eva Fan hands.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:08 pm

I think the earliest we might possibly hear any new information is with the Friday Roadshow broadcast of 3.0 on TV on tbe 29th. The lockdown is scheduled to end just over a week later, on the 7th, so they should probably have a good idea of whether the lockdown will really he ending then, or whether it looks like it will be extended.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:08 pm

View Original PostPluto wrote:To be honest, the news is disappointing but not surprising. Even though the theatres are open, tickets were unable to reserved ahead of time on all the theatre websites at all major chains.

Yeah, I'm sure the situation was a bit more apparent in Japan than it was for those of us abroad. We are absolutely still going through our own Covid problems, but we (or, at least I) tend to forget exactly what other countries are going through at this time.

I should probably watch NHK's international broadcasts more often. :lol:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:kuribo-04: Ah, she did narration (as Shinji?) for this collaboration (I'd assume) called ZIP. I'm uncertain what it is, since all I know is WinZIP :tongue:

That's the only thing that came to my mind as well.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Well phukkk.

But all things considered it only increases my respect for them that they didn't power through with this once the situation radically worsened, they are choosing lives over money unlike so many these days.

It sucks now but history will vindicate it

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:"Strange beings (COVID-19) are attacking us. If you're going through a fire, you've got to brush away the embers, of course!" ( :lol: )

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:Ironic that the film series that keeps blue-balling the apocalypse is now getting blue-balled by the apocalypse.

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#906777 wrote:Whatever happened with that contest where they wanted to decide the "number one Eva fan" so that person could see the film early. Is it possible that one person has seen the film, and holds the power to spoil us all?

The Fruit of Spoilers is held by Khara. The Fruit of Speculation is held by Man. Number One Eva Fan now possesses them both, and therefore becomes God. Now the source of all information; The Tree of Life; has been formed again. Will it be an Ark to save Mankind from the madness of spoilers? Or is it a demon that will spoil us all? The fate of Mankind now lies in Number One Eva Fan hands.

these were so funny it almost cheered me up, but only almost

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:He pretty much said that the film is so good it won't hurt to wait a little bit longer and asked everyone to be patiant about it. :lol:

I believe you, sir. I believe you. :rei_poke:

Participants tend to overhipe things a bit since they do each scene a million times & are hence more immersed in the emotions than the viewer would be... but lets see. Im by no means unwilling to be dazzled.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”