Welcome to the NHK-Anime or the manga or the novel?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 pm

^
When I searched for the novel online, I only found the Tokyopop pdf scans.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:28 pm

My head has been out of sync lately

pururin, puru puru pururin~

I found TokyoPop scanlations and read pretty much the whole book during yesterday and today. It was fantastic. In general novel was rather depressive and morbid and instead of grinning I was grimacing. This is not to say there isn't plenty of hilarity to be found from here. It's just that the humour tends to be really, really dark. I'm not sure if I've ever read book that more often repeats "I want to die" with feeling that sincere wishes of author has been expressed.

All in all it was incredible and more than worth reading.

For sake of comparison I watched some anime and compared scenes and man what the fuck is this watered down, lite shit? It's as if I was watching End of Evangelion and someone had removed all bits with grotesgue violence and sexuality and tempered down the mindfuck. What hapened to Satou's fucked up descent into lolicon (it's there but not even remotely as grimly described), not to mention nigh-constant drug usage? The lingering feeling of mental illness in the book is nowhere to be found.

Anyway, great novel. Anime seems to be decent and all but is too watered down in comparison to the book. Though I really wish there was some way book and manga could have that goddamn conspiracy song

ps. hahahahahah, hilarious

check the stats for the video and see in which country it's most popular. Man what the fuck :rofl:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: I found TokyoPop scanlations and read pretty much the whole book during yesterday and today. It was fantastic. In general novel

Scanlations? Novel? There are few if any picture in novel why SCANlation is needed?

View Original PostXard wrote: Anyway, great novel. Anime seems to be decent and all but is too watered down in comparison to the book.

I did not read the novel, but anime is definitely watered down. I don't really blame Gonzo because the fact that it GOT Animated is the important thing. I for one never expected that manga would get animated. And I agree with those who suggest watching the anime before reading the manga. Kind of like drink beer first before you move to vodka ;-)

View Original PostXard wrote:Though I really wish there was some way book and manga could have that goddamn conspiracy song check the stats for the video and see in which country it's most popular.

There is a conspiracy there alright. Some conspiracy hatched in Finland is trying to push this song to top of YouTube ranking. You see the video is most popular in Finland, and I guess >100,000 replays were from one X--- guy :smokin:
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 pm

I’m glad you loved the book, Xard. It’d definitely way better then the manga/anime.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:28 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Scanlations? Novel? There are few if any picture in novel why SCANlation is needed?

It´s the translated by Tokyopop novel in pdf format, scanned.
It doesn´t have any pictures, but it sure is easier to scan it than to transcribe it.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:57 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:It´s the translated by Tokyopop novel in pdf format, scanned.
It doesn´t have any pictures, but it sure is easier to scan it than to transcribe it.

OK so it is a scan of the translation...instead of adding translation text to a scan, though the legal status is same...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 am

^
Yup, but the Tokyopop novel has been out of print a long time ago.

GVman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GVman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:43 am

Because Tokyopop is one of the WORST US manga distributors.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:OK so it is a scan of the translation...instead of adding translation text to a scan, though the legal status is same...

yeah this was bad wording from my part. It's not that someone scanned the original and then translated it (aka scanlation) but someone just scanned the whole book and I found the pdf file.

Which sadly is nearly only way to get my hands on it as the book is OOP. I searched for it quite a while but couldn't find any place that didn't sell dubious used ones with ridiculous price tags.

I'll buy it in a heartbeat if it is reprinted

GVman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GVman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 am

I don't know of anyone who would buy it for $100.00. Do these people actually think they're gonna make a sale?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:02 pm

View Original PostGVman wrote:I don't know of anyone who would buy it for $100.00. Do these people actually think they're gonna make a sale?

Well, it´s the only way to acquire a legit(?) copy of the novel online, so they can set it at any price they want to.
If it sells, is another question lol.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Boy am I glad I bought my copy before the book went out of print.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

GVman
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GVman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:40 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Well, it´s the only way to acquire a legit(?) copy of the novel online, so they can set it at any price they want to.
If it sells, is another question lol.

If $100.00 was the normal price for the book I'd agree with you, but the norm seems to be $50.00 in good condition.

Korgan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Fri May 06, 2011 5:47 am

I loved the manga and the LN; the latter is so far the only Jap thing I physically own, as I ordered it out of desperation before it was put up online (which resulted out of my suggestion, BTW; didn't personally contribute anything, but I proposed it on an IB back in 2008 or so, and by the end of the thread, a month later, it was accomplished :D). The manga's art is just fantastic in the first half; Misaki is incredibly cute and angelic. A shame they decided to pile ~20 filler chapters on top of it.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri May 06, 2011 5:54 am

View Original PostKorgan wrote:I loved the manga and the LN; the latter is so far the only Jap thing I physically own,

Great to see a Welcome to NHK fan here. Just one word though: Perhaps it is better to use Japanese instead of just Jap...

Wiki entry of "Jap"
Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Korgan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Sat May 07, 2011 8:30 am

I did that on purpose to sound all edgy and hardcore.
:hurr:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat May 07, 2011 11:54 am

Hmm.... that may be a possibility that there were Japanese or Japanese-Americans around reading this thread and got offended. I am not sure it is a risk (being called racist and whatnot) worth taking just to sound edgy.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat May 07, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm half Japanese but I'm too lazy to be offended by pretty much anything.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Nowadays, you should be offended when you´re not, really.

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Welcome to the NHK-Anime or the manga or the novel?

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 am

Took the effort of searching a topic talking about this franchise to drop by to say this:

I don't like Misaki Nakahara and I don't understand her appeal. She pretty manipulative and otherwise unexpressive and negative. I'm not even talking about the manga but the anime.

She give me creeps.
Ban me forever.

Return to “Anime and Manga”