Site volunteers and commentary editors requested

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Site volunteers and commentary editors requested

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:57 pm

January 4/5 update: Announcement updated to reflect the two main types of site volunteers/minions we need.

1. Social media/front page news volunteers. We have Gendo's Papa who has stepped up to handle the social media and front page stuff, and cyharding has also agreed to help with front page news. Ideally, we'd need one more person to help take the workload off and keep the social media and front page stuff going. Any takers?

2. Commentary editors for the wiki. We're planning to restart the ancient commentary project for Epsiode 08 and get it and Episode 19 going in time for the final. The formal announcement for the project will be turning up shortly, but any volunteers who are willing to help edit comments into the wiki and take part in the commentary project are welcome to sign up.

EDIT: Anyone can comment on the commentary project, but we tend to show discretion with those who volunteer to edit comments into the wiki.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Looking for social media/front page news posters

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:42 pm

Good luck to the volunteers, I'm gonna disappear soon so definitely not me!

UrsusArctos

Re: Site volunteers and commentary editors requested

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:54 pm

Updated the first post and title to reflect the types of folks we're looking for as volunteers. COVID-19 emergency or not, the more the merrier. We'd be grateful to anyone who joins in, and those who impress us with their work and conduct are on the fast track to play a larger role in EGF as a whole.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:51 am

I would be glad to be a commentary editor.

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:24 am

I'm not gonna inscript myself to commentary episodes project, but I would like to do somme commentary for the episode 22 :kaos_teehee:
Ban me forever.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:09 pm

I'd also like to volunteer for the commentary project, and the wiki in general. My views sometimes go against the typical consensus on EvaGeeks, so it might be nice to have an alternate perspective. Plus, it would just be nice to share my thoughts on certain parts of the show.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Line wrote:I'm not gonna inscript myself to commentary episodes project, but I would like to do somme commentary for the episode 22

By means of clarification (I'd forgotten how many years it's been since we did this!) commenting on the commentary project itself is open to everybody, so you can comment on any scene and any episode.

However, commenting isn't a guarantee that your comments will be included. That's where the work of the commentary editors comes in, in entering the comments, editing them where necessary, or even choosing to exclude them for being substandard. Depending on the number of comments, that can be a fair amount of work. That's what we're recruiting for.

BusterMachine4, you're very welcome to share your thoughts on the episodes themselves in their commentary threads, which are open to everyone. However, I have heard fellow staffers raise concern about the quality of your regular posting, including a tendency to be dismissive of any deeper analysis of Evangelion and a somewhat abrasive style. Both the commentary and the wiki involve a certain standard and require mutual cooperation and trust. Until these concerns can be resolved satisfactorily, I'm sorry to say I have to turn down your offer.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:BusterMachine4, you're very welcome to share your thoughts on the episodes themselves in their commentary threads, which are open to everyone. However, I have heard fellow staffers raise concern about the quality of your regular posting, including a tendency to be dismissive of any deeper analysis of Evangelion and a somewhat abrasive style. Both the commentary and the wiki involve a certain standard and require mutual cooperation and trust. Until these concerns can be resolved satisfactorily, I'm sorry to say I have to turn down your offer.

I suspected as much, but I was hoping that I didn't seem too abrasive. I feel like I should clarify two things:
  • One: I'm not against deeper analysis of Eva, not at all. I get what the show is trying to say, and I know that there's a lot of foreshadowing and metaphor in play. I just feel like some users here are digging in too deep. I'm mostly referring to the people who obsessively analyze every minor detail of the franchise, looking for clues to Anno's intent. That type of analysis has a danger of going too far, just assuming authorial intent when there might not have been any. I don't believe Eva is some kind of incomprehensible art piece that you need a doctorate in theology to understand.
  • Two: I never intended to come off as abrasive, and I'm sorry if it seems that way. I always try to engage in respectful debate when I'm online, and I hate Twitter-style mudslinging arguments. I respect other people's opinions, and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just have alternate views to some people, and I'm not afraid to debate them with people who disagree. If I am allowed to post on the wiki, my contributions will be similar: no disrespect, just alternate perspectives. I love this website, and I'd love to contribute in any way I can.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Thank you for the clarification. Please wait while we talk over our decision.

EDIT: Our decision stands, BusterMachine4. Thank you for your interest, but it's clear to us that you have longer to go before we can accept you on the wiki or the commentary project.

Berserk EVA-02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Berserk EVA-02 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:56 pm

I have evidently just begun posting on this forum and assume that I cannot yet become an direct volunteer for the commentary project, but I am curious as to whether or not I can share certain ideas or interpretations, which if those involved in the project would find to be of substance, could be included within the commentary, regardless of crediting me.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:54 pm

View Original PostBerserk EVA-02 wrote:but I am curious as to whether or not I can share certain ideas or interpretations,

Of course, yes. Commentary is open to everyone, it's just that we're being careful with who gets to edit the comments in. I'll be putting the link to the Episode 07 commentary for reference about how it's done.

Berserk EVA-02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Berserk EVA-02 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:51 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote: Of course, yes. Commentary is open to everyone, it's just that we're being careful with who gets to edit the comments in.

Wonderful to hear!

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I'll be putting the link to the Episode 07 commentary for reference about how it's done.

Thank you, this is needed for me as I do not yet understand how I can submit commentary for the project.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”