Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Berserk EVA-02
Embryo

Re: Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

•      
  •      

Postby Berserk EVA-02 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:10 am

I've been visiting this server extensively since 2017, with psychoanalytical threads being my primary reason of visiting, especially those of Freudian and Jungian psychoanalysis. Since I first watched the series in 2017, not a day has gone without me at the very least having a fleeting thought about Evangelion, and my interest in the work was exponentially increased as I rewatched the series and finally had the balls to see The End of Evangelion on December of last year. Both the series and the film offered a phenomenal viewing and I've found myself spending extensive portions of my day analyzing the subtext of the series, most notably its psychoanalytical, religious (especially Kabbalic) and philosophical (especially Kantian and Kierkegaardian as strange of a combination as that may be) themes and thus have decided to finally start contributing to this forum by asking questions and sharing views. I find that EvaGeeks forums are the only place in which I've found truly authentic and elaborate discussions on Evangelion, in stark contrast to social media platforms, and so if there'd be any place I'd want to discuss Evangelion it would undoubtedly be this lovely forum.

Another major reason for which I decided to join was to further read and inquire on the viewpoints of certain long-time posters whom I've always enjoyed reading such as NemZ (RIP :ehh:), Bagheera, Sailor Stardust, Reichu, Mr. Tines, Ursus Arctos and many more, (as when not having an account I cannot view others' accounts and their posts) and hopefully even have the opportunity to conversate with those that continue posting. Also if I may ask, what caused Ray and squigsquasher to get banned? I enjoyed reading their posts very much so and am curious as to what led such regular posters to end up banned.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:25 am

Welcome aboard, Berserk EVA-02, and I hope you have a wonderful time here! I'm glad to hear you have such a glowing opinion of the forum, and on a personal note, I'm surprised you mentioned me by name.

While I wasn't around for Ray's ban, squiggsquasher unfortunately had a long history of misbehavior to go with his enthusiasm with the series, and he was banned after his posting didn't improve after a second chance. You haven't seen most of his offending posts because they were in bad taste and quickly moved out of public sight. (We would never ban regular posters unless they repeatedly misbehave and ignore our requests or warnings not to do so).
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Berserk EVA-02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Berserk EVA-02 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:54 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Welcome aboard, Berserk EVA-02, and I hope you have a wonderful time here!

Thank you :D

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I'm surprised you mentioned me by name.

I became familiar to your through your edits of EvaWiki and of course the Evangelion commentary project, where you were the main commenter on much of the later episodes (and Translator's Notes aside left the last comment too, regarding the possibility that the dummy plugs used Rei I's thought patterns in Episode 18) and made quite interesting (albeit frequently pedantic) remarks on many cinematographic, narrative and trivial details that I had missed on NGE, and thus I became acquaintanced to your contributions on EvaGeeks.

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:squiggsquasher unfortunately had a long history of misbehavior to go with his enthusiasm with the series, and he was banned after his posting didn't improve after a second chance.

Quite unfortunate to hear of that, I enjoyed his playfully snarky attitude regarding thread discussions but am quite unpleasantly surprised to see the last spiteful posts he had made before his bans. By then he seemed to speak here with a level of contempt one would expect from an anon on /a/. Ray's post history on the other side is far cleaner and thus his ban is seemingly quite more enigmatic. I've seen his account on Reddit and so I could ask him directly about my inquiries if it wouldn't be a nuisance to him.

Drama discussions aside, I am pleased to see your response and hope to see more contributions from you to this forum and EvaWiki :kawaii:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:24 am

Hello, Berserk EVA-02! My, you certainly have been lurking for a while to have known those names! :wink:

I also wasn't in the mod staff for the Ray ban in particular. I'll have to look into that.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:34 am

View Original PostBerserk EVA-02 wrote:and made quite interesting (albeit frequently pedantic) remarks on many cinematographic, narrative and trivial details that I had missed on NGE

Can't help it, sadly :( . I'm a professional pedant in addition to being a nerd and a geek.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Berserk EVA-02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Berserk EVA-02 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:16 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Hello, Berserk EVA-02! My, you certainly have been lurking for a while to have known those names! :wink:

Indeed I have! I do remember you too thanks to your "Playing among the stars" location which I found very catchy.

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Can't help it, sadly :( . I'm a professional pedant in addition to being a nerd and a geek.

And a highly knowledgeable professional pedant at that! I must say I was beyond impressed by your knowledge of warship and fighter jet trivia regarding Episode 08.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:51 am

I'm back after what was it? Four years of a ban?

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:56 am

View Original PostRay wrote:I'm back after what was it? Four years of a ban?

They permanently ban you? It still says banned.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:09 am

Hey, Ray. I'll welcome you back again.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:23 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Hey, Ray. I'll welcome you back again.

Glad to see someone here is.
Look I'm not going to say my ban wasn't necessary, nor that I was at the time in a fit state to be posting anything. I was having problems in my life at the time, and unnecessarily taking them out on you guys. Because I thought this was a safe place where I could take out my frustrations with reality in a place where nobody in the real world would get hurt. Regrettably I failed to realize there are real people on the other side of the computer screen on these places.

For that I would like to apologize. Rest assured, I will be on my best behavior going forward with discussion of the final movie. I'm just glad I'm back on and able to discuss it here. Lets make it like the good old days before I burned you all out with my negativity. New year. New me.

Edit: For Grammar
Last edited by Ray on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Berserk EVA-02
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Berserk EVA-02 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:28 am

LOL. Just a few posts earlier I was asking what had happened to you as to get banned off EvaGeeks:
View Original PostBerserk EVA-02 wrote:Ray's post history on the other side is far cleaner and thus his ban is seemingly quite more enigmatic. I've seen his account on Reddit and so I could ask him directly about my inquiries if it wouldn't be a nuisance to him.

Impressive timing! Glad to see you back on this forum.

Kiiwiibird
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiiwiibird » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:17 am

Hi hello i'm kiwi, i've been a long time lurker of evageeks (i discovered what the fuck was going on in eva from your guys lmfao) and decided hey why the fuck not make an account for my own hot two cents haha, pretty exciting, even if i'm what, 20 something years late? nge first aired in 1995, it's two years older than i am, jesus unholy christ, dude.

so yeah! i'm a hardcore Asuka stan because i unfortunately relate a bit too much to her and i've been ride of die for that red menace since i first watched the show, uhhhh i'd like to be a content creator one day but! who knows!

i'm excited to meet all of you and become one with the community, and hopefully with whisperings of 3.0+1.0 around the corner i'll be here for the thick of it!
Asuka or Bust

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 am

Welcome back man!

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:41 pm

Made an account a while ago, but with 3.0+1.0 on the horizon I'd like to be here for the discussion! I was lucky to have gotten into Eva relatively recently, so I haven't had to sit here waiting since 2012.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 am

Welcome on board! Hope you have fun around here!
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 am

Welcome back Ray!

And welcome 5284973 and Kiiwiibird!

View Original PostKiiwiibird wrote:so yeah! i'm a hardcore Asuka stan because i unfortunately relate a bit too much to her and i've been ride of die for that red menace since i first watched the show

I remember being 4 or 5 episodes deep into the show and kept noticing the little red haired girl pop up in the OP animation, and I kept thinking "When are they gonna show the goods? The red-heads in Hideaki Anno's shows are always entertaining!"

Episode 8 didn't disappoint, but nobody was prepared for Episode 22.... :cringe:

jedi_spectre1
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jedi_spectre1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:18 pm

I first made my account in October, but was lurking even before that. I first got into Evangelion around late last summer. I was just trying to break into anime and I had always heard of how classic NGE is. I was a dub man at the time and watched it on Netflix and loved it. Its funny now because I don't judge people who watch dubs, but I can't stand to watch them anymore for most shows and movies. I loved the whole cast and the story, I would say Shinji is my favorite fictional character of all time. Immediately after I watched and read a ton of analysis. I then, I sadly admit, sailed the high seas and watched the original ADV dub, a fan sub and then Rebuild. Though I eventually laid down the cash to buy the Platinum boxset and all the Rebuild films.

I first came to EvaGeeks to read Reichu's theories on Rebuild and have stayed since. I never posted because I'm a bit shy, even online, but with no one else in real life to talk about Evangelion with except one friend, I decided to give it a try.

Outside of Eva, I'm a big fan of fantasy and sci fi. My favorite book series is Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. My favorite film is Bladerunner. I'm also a fan of all of Anno's other works, Nadia being my favorite non-Eva thing he has done and Gunbuster my least. I'm starting a degree in history and English next year with the goal of becoming a teacher. I'm mostly interested in medieval European history.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Welcome jedi_spectre1! Don't feel too shy about opening up more often on the forum in the future! ^_^

Nadia was actually the first Anno work I had watched, and then thought that Eva would be just as fun and light-hearted...

:bigeyes:

Anyway, I don't know how I'd rank the rest of Anno's filmography. Eva is clearly his magnum opus in my eyes, and all of his non Eva works (which I love) tend to just one and go for me whenever I'm in the mood. Somedays Love & Pop will be his best non-Eva work ever. Other days, it's the wildly bombastic Cutie Honey! Gunbuster: Aim for the Top! has consistently been life and love for me, though. Like, the first two episodes are kind of fun and cheesy, but by episode 5 I realize that I fell in love with every single one of the characters in such a short span of time. Then Episode 6 comes in and crushes me in such a bittersweet way. I find it to be good stuff, at least.

But, within terms of most frequently rewatched Anno work, Shin Godzilla tops my list for sure. I mean, it's a Godzilla movie directed by Anno. I can finally die fulfilled as a pretentious foreign film buff and as a weird monster fan.

Good luck with your studies! Hopefully Shin Eva won't distract us from our goals too much :lol:

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Hello there. My name is Javi. I am 23 years old and I am from Madrid.

I have been visiting some forums, webs and videos since I watched EVA the first time. I love this anime because it gives you a lot of debates about philosophy and psychology. It even depends of the way you can looking at. This what makes NGE so unique and even after 25 years people still talking about it. I would sound obsessed but this anime is like a cult.
About all the websites and forums I visited this one is the best in my humble opinion. The members take the debates seriously and share so good and interesting responses, theories, feedback, etc... Also I checked there are members that are in this forum for more than 10 years. It so impressive and gives me a lot of security in my purpose to understand EVA and sharing my experience and thoughts.
I promise I will be so active in the posts the most I could and being as much as original possible. I want give my best to continue the tradition through the years.

Best regards and thank you for let me being part of this forum.

Javi,
Last edited by Javi2541997 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

Sachiel64
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sachiel64 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:20 am

Hey there everyone!

I'm Luke. I'm 27 and I live in Southern Vermont over in the States.

I'm a radio DJ and voice over artist when it comes to making ends meet. I have lots of interests outside of music and radio too, like voice acting and animation of course, along with film, graphic novels, novel novels, video games, hockey, skateboarding, cats, coffee, and alcohol, but not always in that order.

I've been a fan of Eva for just over a decade now. I was getting really excited as we got close the new date for 3.0+1.0, but I guess I should have known better with the ongoing pandemic. Playing things cautiously and keeping safe definitely seems like the right thing to do for now.
With the film's further delay, I've been left in the mood for Eva talk, and I wanted to be a part of NGE discussion beyond my small group of friends. Just being back on a forum like this after so long is a bit nostalgic too.

Looking forward to seeing all you guys have to say in the threads (as well as a new date for 3.0+1.0)!

Cheers!
Sachiel64

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”