[LAEM] Did Shinji turn into a girl?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

pockyrevolution
Embryo

Did Shinji turn into a girl?

Postby pockyrevolution » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:26 pm

Did he? Or who is this Susan person?

Oh yea I'm transfering here from the old NGE Portal Forum

I must say this place is looking pretty good!

So whos Susan? Please don't tell me thats Misato...

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Did Shinji turn into a girl?

Postby coff » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:31 pm

pockyrevolution wrote: Please don't tell me thats Misato...

well I don't see who else it could possibly be.

RubberSoul
Lilith

Postby RubberSoul » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:19 am

Perhaps, she's an original character. Who knows? Like Eva Monkey says: "Its all up in the air".
I can only take so much retarded.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:36 pm

I think it's just a generic model for some possible NERV personnel clothing. You can't possibly draw something like that and expect anything less than hatred if you call it a Misato-type character concept. Although, I have to say that if this is the case, it doesn't make me feel any better. That is one goofy-ass sci-fi outfit, I'm sorry.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:52 pm

I just rewatched the little behind the seens look at the live action movie and from the way it seemed to be presented that could unfortunately be Misato.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:38 am

Well, this is still in a state of early development , so anything, anything, that's said or implied at this point (until a director comes onboard) is potentially meaningless. Taking that into consideration, what makes you say so?

_get some help

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Postby MongolSquad » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:43 pm

Waaaaaaaah Misato won't be hot!

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:06 pm

If she is really Misato i'm a little dissapointed.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:58 pm

I don't mind you guys complaining (I don't like it either), but you need to realize that this is not supposed to be an actual drawing of Misato (or her replacement :evil: ). You don't cast according to a concept image, especially one this preliminary. It is a very old drawing in production terms. Hell, the hair person rarely goes by what a concept artist draws (unless the focus is on hair), so if you're going to dis the drawing, at least mention how silly that freakin' Arctic Zone® seal suit looks. And even that has about a 20% chance of resembling a finished idea.

I think the whole signature-ADV-cheesy-live action-weekend-WB-serial look of the costumes and stuff is really just to suggest to a potential director or investor how far the film can stray from the original aesthetics of the anime series. It would be pretty confronting to present them with 3-D drawings of stuff from the anime, because that would suggest a static adherence, and talent who may be unfamiliar with Evangelion, after doing two seconds of research and realizing how strict that conceptual adherence is, might not want to work under such fanboy limits. A little time with the license, and I'm sure whoever comes into this thing will want to go closer to the original version.

However, I still feel this was a bad direction to go with some of the art, because somebody's probably going to look at it and say, "Oh my god, that's so cool! We have to make the movie just like this!" Of course, that usually doesn't happen, but worst case scenario is that it does.

If it eases you, I'll post this again. It doesn't mean anything, but...

[url]http://hexon.arq.tripod.com/Misato.jpg[/url]

_get some help

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:06 pm

My assumption is that this is a Misato knock off. It reminds me of Sadamoto's character design sketches of Misato in her military uniform with a sub machine gun.

KamaKase
Embryo

Postby KamaKase » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:45 pm

"Did Shinji turn into a girl??"

...yes, there comes a time in every boys life when.....ermmmm......

It's just a random concept for experimentation of the costume.
As seen many.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:58 pm

I think it's probably safe to assume that someone other than Greg Broadmore will have the master hand in designing the costumes. Of course, I'm ignorant of the inner workings at Weta, but someone with some miscellaneous degree in aesthetics and taste usualy handles such things. Taking that into account, it makes me wonder why they even chose to release this particular image. Gauge of fan reaction, or show of genuine pride?

Oh, and nice to see you, Kama.

_get some help

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:08 pm

All I know is that Ben Wooten is heading up the design team at WETA.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:16 pm

Yes, but I don't think we'll see any real costuming concept artwork until the DVD release. Creative labor is usually more widely distributed beyond just two guys, especially in a film with visual aspects as diverse as Eva.
Maybe at that point (so long ago) Ben and Greg (and I think one other person) were the only artists who had actually drawn anything. That legend of thousands of images could be a white lie. I'm not saying it is, but it could excuse the scant output of ideas.

_get some help

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:42 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:That legend of thousands of images could be a white lie. I'm not saying it is, but it could excuse the scant output of ideas.

Perhaps thousands is a slight embellishment. Hundreds is probably more likely. And those hundreds could range from large scale paintings to small doodles on something as crude as a coctail napkin. I'm sure quite a lot of stuff has been produced, just not much of it is really worth showing off. At least that's my assumption. Otherwise they would have shown us more. I mean afterall, its not like they have any details to hide. They don't even have a director or working script yet.

KamaKase
Embryo

Postby KamaKase » Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:12 pm

"Oh, and nice to see you, Kama."

You too Hex. ;)

Wondered where you lot had gone to.

Releasing the concepts is probably just to gauge the fan's reactions, and to start the fan forums (fora....fori??) where they can look to see what people think.
As seen many.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:09 pm

That kind of makes me wish that the more articulated reactions had come about immediately rather than gradually. From what I can recall, we have better things to say now than we did when they might have meant something. All I sort of remember is, "WTF is with Asuka's face?!!!" Three weeks later, after gaugers were scared off, then the real aesthetic input began to flow.

_get some help

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:01 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:I don't mind you guys complaining (I don't like it either), but you need to realize that this is not supposed to be an actual drawing of Misato (or her replacement :evil: ). You don't cast according to a concept image, especially one this preliminary. It is a very old drawing in production terms. Hell, the hair person rarely goes by what a concept artist draws (unless the focus is on hair), so if you're going to dis the drawing, at least mention how silly that freakin' Arctic Zone® seal suit looks. And even that has about a 20% chance of resembling a finished idea.

I think the whole signature-ADV-cheesy-live action-weekend-WB-serial look of the costumes and stuff is really just to suggest to a potential director or investor how far the film can stray from the original aesthetics of the anime series. It would be pretty confronting to present them with 3-D drawings of stuff from the anime, because that would suggest a static adherence, and talent who may be unfamiliar with Evangelion, after doing two seconds of research and realizing how strict that conceptual adherence is, might not want to work under such fanboy limits. A little time with the license, and I'm sure whoever comes into this thing will want to go closer to the original version.

However, I still feel this was a bad direction to go with some of the art, because somebody's probably going to look at it and say, "Oh my god, that's so cool! We have to make the movie just like this!" Of course, that usually doesn't happen, but worst case scenario is that it does.

If it eases you, I'll post this again. It doesn't mean anything, but...

[url]http://hexon.arq.tripod.com/Misato.jpg[/url]

Thank you, Hexon, for bringing sanity to this thread.

I've said it elsewhere, I'll say it again: They're just concept images. Have faith.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:12 am

Hehe, I really hope they're reading all this like they said they would and learn from their mistakes. :P

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby poetic_assassin » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:44 pm

We'll it did say "possibly Misato".

http://eva.trivialbeing.net/images.php

Look at #16

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”