Release Date: January 23, 2021 [DELAYED]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Release Date: January 23, 2021

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 am

Anno usually has a home video release of his movies that's a it more touched-up and "completed" than his theatrical releases, usually because time crunch keeps him from getting his scenes as perfect as he likes them to be. It is possible that he used the extra pandemic time to just jump ahead to that more "completed" version of the film that would usually be saved for the home video release.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:14 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:That, yes. Anno is an absolute perfectionist; there's a reason the film took 10 years to make, and it's not because he was lazy.

He was also reportedly a bit burned out after Q, so some of that was (perfectly justified) break time
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:12 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SKBN29707L

The government needs to consult with health experts before deciding on a new declaration, Economy Minister Yasutoshi Nishimura told reporters after a meeting with Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike and leaders from three neighbouring prefectures.

“The national government and the three governors shared the view that the situation in the Tokyo area is getting more severe such that an emergency declaration may be necessary,” Nishimura said.

Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has resisted calls to reinstate a national state of emergency, which the government had introduced in April during an earlier wave of the pandemic. Suga is next scheduled to speak publicly on Jan. 4.

The rise in COVID-19 cases is compounding a seasonal increase in hospitalisations, said Fumie Sakamoto, infection control manager at St Luke’s International Hospital in Tokyo.

“The Japanese government has not done a great deal to control the infection,” Sakamoto said. “I would expect the (infection) numbers will get bigger in the coming days, and the emergency declaration should have come earlier, probably during December or November.”

I'm already preparing for this

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:30 am

It is possible that the release may continue as scheduled outside the Tokyo area, or with reduced capacity. Let us see...
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:44 am

Things have changed now.

Back in 2012 the only streaming service I personally recall in the U.K. was Netflix, streaming hasn’t taken off yet.

Now we are in the height of streaming in a new age of cinema because of streaming

If this was 3.0 happening in 2012 absolutely they would have to delay until cinemas open if they got shut down.

But in 2020 khara can put shin eva out on pay per view. Yes I understand the biggest issue with that is piracy but, because the wait and wait and wait for this film has been absolutely huge it’s hyped the film up so much in Japan that I believe everyone would pay to stream it on release and it would at least in Japan make a bucket load, I also think that if it were released in cinemas at a later date, people in Japan would still go to re watch it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:48 am

It is certainly the safest way of releasing it now. I also think people would go to see it at cinemas later on. The film is gonna make a ton of money either way, the question is just how much exactly.
I think they aren't excited about this option though.

Eh, it must suck. They wanted their release in june with the Olympics and such. I feel for them.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 am

Look, people may say no people will pirate it.

But if you look at it like this

Cinemas close in Japan, they have no choice but to delay unless they put it out as pay per view on streaming platform.

Then to combat the piracy - release it internationally as soon as possible because if it’s released more or less worldwide together to view on streaming, people will pay to watch it.

The danger of piracy will obviously come from the international audience outside or Japan because we have to wait longer for it lol

If Japan closes cinemas khara should release it online to stream worldwide for like 1 or 2 days only. Then take it off streaming and then re release in cinemas when they re open

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:13 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:If Japan closes cinemas khara should release it online to stream worldwide for like 1 or 2 days only. Then take it off streaming and then re release in cinemas when they re open

You underestimate the pirates, you put that thing online for only 24 hours and it's a guarantee it'll start showing up on torrent websites 12 hours later at max. These people are fast and got a lot of resources.

Anyway, I'm ready for another delay but if I'm being honest about how it feels to get it delayed again especially when we're only weeks away from release, as our friend Freaky said in the other thread:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#904912 wrote:I have already allowed myself to get hyped up to the point where I will have a negative emotional reaction if the movie is delayed once again.
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:15 am

As of today, discussing the chances of the movie releasing on streaming is like discussing the chances of Anno knocking at my door to personally gift me a copy of it. Extremely unrealistic.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:25 am

It could only happen if they just outright sell the film to Netflix like A Whisker Away, but it was a one-off film with no longtime massive followings spanning more than two decades, so I really don't think Khara would do that, not when they have Toho and Toei handling the theatrical distribution unless they're really desperate.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:29 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:It could only happen if they just outright sell the film to Netflix like A Whisker Away, but it was a one-off film with no longtime massive followings spanning more than two decades, so I really don't think Khara would do that, not when they have Toho and Toei handling the theatrical distribution unless they're really desperate.

I reckon khara will have a lot of guilt on it’s shoulders should they delay again. Kind of like ahhhh why did we get people’s hopes up when we knew that this pandemic was not over. One can only hope Japan as a country is obedient enough to follow their guidelines and hopefully they will keep cinemas open in good faith knowing people will definitely follow the rules.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:44 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:But in 2020 khara can put shin eva out on pay per view. Yes I understand the biggest issue with that is piracy but, because the wait and wait and wait for this film has been absolutely huge it’s hyped the film up so much in Japan that I believe everyone would pay to stream it on release and it would at least in Japan make a bucket load, I also think that if it were released in cinemas at a later date, people in Japan would still go to re watch it.

So, the largest hurdle to jump would actually be Khara's already existing distribution contracts with Toho and Toei. Aside from being one of the largest Japanese films studios, Toho also owns a large portion of the theater industry. They want that movie to play in their theaters, which is undoubtedly part of the contract Khara had signed with them. (No doubt, the idea of Shin Eva playing in the Toho theaters was part of the attraction of their distribution deal in the first place.) So even if Anno woke up tomorrow and said "The fans have waited long enough. Release it on streaming!" he potentially would be breaching contract with Toho and Toei, which would inevitably result in a lawsuit against Studio Khara. And if Toho's history of Godzilla-related lawsuits is anything to go by, I don't care how long the movie would have been delayed at that point, nothing is worth Toho's lawyers suing you for anything.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:57 am

Remember when I ranted about cinemas back in like...march? I hold the same opinion lol.

With the nuance that I now see /understand the attractiveness of the film coming to cinemas a little more than I did then.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:04 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So even if Anno woke up tomorrow and said "The fans have waited long enough. Release it on streaming!" he potentially would be breaching contract with Toho and Toei, which would inevitably result in a lawsuit against Studio Khara.

Not to mention Shin Eva gets a lot of privilege in its production under Toho, like getting to work on the film's late production phase in Toho's legendary Dubbing Stage 1 (hence the constant photos from Khara because they were basically flexing, lol) and having the preview screenings held in their Post-Production Center 1 venues. There stakes are just way too high for them to just simply change the release plan.

In a better time, this would've been a win-win situation where Khara gets to access advanced rigs in production along with the privilege of Shin Eva getting more screens at launch than usual, while Toho gets all the sweet Eva money, now this has become a highly suspenseful moment of wait and see.

The way Rebuild films are plagued with delays from the get-go is on a whole another level, I swear. :shinji_irk:

EDIT:
Browsing through the JP Eva twittersphere, seems like most people are already expecting another delay after today's news, or at least doubting that some special events like back-to-back 3.333/Shin premiere will ever happen if screenings are still allowed with reduced venue capacities and time in a day.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:18 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Shin Eva gets a lot of privilege in its production under Toho, like getting to work on the film's late production phase in Toho's legendary Dubbing Stage 1 (hence the constant photos from Khara because they were basically flexing, lol) and having the preview screenings held in their Post-Production Center 1 venues.

Dang, I had no idea that's where those photos were taken!

Yeah, there's absolutely no way Shin Eva gets debuted in non-Toho theaters. That's not happening. I was (laughably) entertaining the (outrageous) idea that Shin Eva could theatrically premiere internationally before it premieres in Japan, like certain American films have debuts in foreign countries before their domestic release, but nope! There's no way that thing premieres in anything other than a Toho-owned/approved theater.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
View Original PostGhostlyOcam#904963 wrote:
Yeah, there's absolutely no way Shin Eva gets debuted in non-Toho theaters. That's not happening. I was (laughably) entertaining the (outrageous) idea that Shin Eva could premiere internationally before it premieres in Japan, but nope! There's no way that thing premieres in anything other than a Toho-owned/approved theater.
In the last few hours I have been looking for news about whether there will be any announcements on the possible change of the current date or the places where the film will be sold ... For the moment I have not found any worrying rumors, I hope that tomorrow the current situation will not change by giving us bad news.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:52 pm

https://torrentfreak.com/wonder-woman-1 ... re-201230/

While we don't know how much money WW84 made on streaming, we do know it had a record breaking performance in terms of piracy.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:57 pm

LOL wasn't it a flop on streaming?
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 am

Covid is running rampant and the government is considering declaring a state of emergency. Not jinx this but I fear another delay is incoming. Fingers crossed it won't happen.
I watch and speculate.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 am

2nd delay imminent.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”