Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:01 pm

Yeah, I remember cringing when Asuka said that line.

"We can discuss sexism in survival situations later." -Ellie Sattler, Jurassic Park

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:03 pm

View Original Postboyfrand wrote:I hope Shinji’s eyes turning purple doesn’t give Unit 01 being purple retroactive significance or meaning in a cheesy way.

I’m not very committed to these thoughts about the trailer because the movie is coming soon (or, the spoilers are coming soon). So please be nice if you are ripping any of them apart :D

Personally I think that this is just a symbolism of Shinji unlocking his/the Eva's true power while still keeping control over it, unlike what happened in 2.0. As noted previously, the purple color can be a mix of Shinji's normal blue eyes with his red eyes in 2.0.

View Original Postwriter wrote:I did notice something while watching the GJ video, specifically the shot of Sakura:

SPOILER: Show

This scene represents someone waking up on a bed, and directly references Shinji's "birth" from Eva01's juices at the beginning of 3.0. Could this be the birth of a new Shinji?

To put a timeline on this:
Asuka, Rei, and Shinji are walking through the wasteland
Shinji sits down to pout (per Peaceful Times)
Asuka puts foot to head, pushes him down and continues walking
ReiQ brings Shinji back and they proceed toward NeoNerv HQ
Asuka arrives back at WILLE HQ with no Shinji or Rei
Misato decides to generate a new Shinji so that they can ask him to pilot Eva01
Tells him the truth about everything this time and lets him decide on his actions

Perhaps Eva13 vs Eva01 is actually...Shinji vs Shinji?!
One who is ignorant and pushed to the brink of insanity, another who is embraced and pushed to the brink of greatness?!

I really don't think that it'll be something like that, because not only would it invalidate the entire message of Shinji's journey in Q (what's the point of hammering that you can't magically turn back the clock and erase your mistakes but instead have to live with them and move on if it's to have WILLE "load a save" and make a new Shinji to re-run the dialogue options right; but it would also mean that Shinji isn't really a character with its own intrinsic value, but a mere plot device that can be discarded and replaced at WILLE's whim, like the Ayanami-type are to neo-NERV. (despite the pain Q took to show use that ReiQ is not replaceable doll but her own individual)

And also if it was so easy to "generate" a new Shinji, Misato wouldn't had hesitated to blow up his head when he escaped with Mark.09.

As for the parallel shot of Sakura, I noted in the other thread that her expression in both shots is different: in the first one she's smiling and trying to put Shinji as much at ease as possible, and looks worried by what she sees in the second shot, maybe Shinji won't get out of his catatonia by the time they are picked up by WILLE and she's worried by seeing how the recent experiences affected him? Or maybe that'll be another scene after something happens to Shinji? (or maybe ReiQ, or Asuka or Mari?)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Misato is now mostly like Nadia's Captain Nemo with the difference that Shinji is not her son and that Nadia didn't go so far as to cause the extinction of the human race when she met her father in the Nautilus for the first time. Asuka and Misato still love Shinji to some degree but after what he did in 3.0 they will be even more mistrustful of him and will almost certainly always want to keep an eye on him. While Shinji will become silent and even cold and indifferent towards anyone except in certain moments or when he sees Toji, Kensuke and Hikari again and when in one way or another he finds the determination and the will to live and when he goes for a verbal confrontation (?) from his father.
View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
View Original PostFXArmaros98#904830 wrote:The thing that angers me most is the fact that at the end of 3.0 Asuka even had to complain to Shinji and call him a selfish and problematic brat because he didn't go to help her, when until a few minutes before she was trying to kill him :irked:

Yeah, that was pretty stupid. It really devalues the whole message about learning to mature and accept others when said "others" were literally trying to kill you just before. I have little sympathy for Asuka in the ending of 3.0, she could have tried explaining what would happen if Shinji removed the spears instead of just trying to kill him.
[quote]
Asuka really needs to be more honest with herself and think before going around ... I wonder how she will behave when maybe she has to live with Shinji in the AAA Wunder .. Who knows maybe every now and then she will visit him in his room trying to tell him how he feels really only to start another fight instead :um:

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:13 pm

ElMariachi wrote:As for the parallel shot of Sakura, I noted in the other thread that her expression in both shots is different: in the first one she's smiling and trying to put Shinji as much at ease as possible, and looks worried by what she sees in the second shot, maybe Shinji won't get out of his catatonia by the time they are picked up by WILLE and she's worried by seeing how the recent experiences affected him? Or maybe that'll be another scene after something happens to Shinji? (or maybe ReiQ, or Asuka or Mari?)

She also may be looking at Toji over there. Who knows?
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 pm

Don't do that. Don't give me hope... Hahahahahahaha
Just kidding, if appeared it would be weird as all hell! Hahaha
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Sakura is looking at Toji I'm sure ...
View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Image

Don't forget this little gem.

Some of Mari & Asuka's lines make little sense given the context.

I love Anno's works. But I consider You Can (Not) Redo the worst film of this saga that he has proposed us until now and nobody will be able to make me change my mind ...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:24 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Sakura is looking at Toji I'm sure ...
View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka#904837 wrote:Image

Don't forget this little gem.

Some of Mari & Asuka's lines make little sense given the context.

I love Anno's works. But I consider You Can (Not) Redo the worst film of this saga that he has proposed us until now and nobody will be able to make me change my mind ...

I don't understand this post and the post ot is quoting honestly.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:27 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Yeah, I remember cringing when Asuka said that line.

I remember thinking: "shouldn't these two be 28 years old or something? hahahaha
But I believe that Asuka said it just for the sake of it. To be stylish and make fun, you know?
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:28 pm

I'm saying it's strange for Asuka to complain that Shinji hit her after she tried to skewer him.

I'm not sure what FXAmaros is saying either kek.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:29 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I don't understand this post and the post ot is quoting honestly.

The quote post was commenting on how dumb Asuka's line about Shinji hitting a girl was. Asuka was literally trying to kill Shinji just then, she said so herself. Shinji fighting back in a life or death situation like that is completely understandable, not to mention the casual sexism of the "men can never hit women no matter what" idea. It makes no sense given the context, just like the original post said.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:29 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Don't do that. Don't give me hope... Hahahahahahaha

Oh, I do :tongue:. Read this thread: “Height Chart Leak (Whoops...)”.
Of course, it's just speculation. Don't take it seriously, please.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:31 pm

I do understand that Dan Kanemitsu took some liberties with translating her lines there.

Waiting for Joseki to come by and drop his email from Dan explaining the translation.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:34 pm

Wasn't Asuka trying to kill Shinji an early fansub mistranslation? I remember the latest version I hace says "Just go down quietly". In any case, I don't think Asuka actually wanted to kill Shinji, just beat and stop him.

And the "Can't believe he'd hit a girl" line is just Asuka bickering. "Like her "Can't believe she'd make someone fresh out of hospital fight" line in EoE (when it's obvious they need everyone to maybe survive the day).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:51 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Wasn't Asuka trying to kill Shinji an early fansub mistranslation? I remember the latest version I hace says "Just go down quietly". In any case, I don't think Asuka actually wanted to kill Shinji, just beat and stop him.

Well, the version I have says "Shut up and die, brat Shinji!" It could be a difference in fansub scripts, but I'd have to see a literal translation in order to be sure.
And the "Can't believe he'd hit a girl" line is just Asuka bickering. "Like her "Can't believe she'd make someone fresh out of hospital fight" line in EoE (when it's obvious they need everyone to maybe survive the day).

Maybe. But to me, it has an air of sexism that I really don't like. I know that gender stereotypes are more entrenched in Japanese culture, but it still feels weird to me.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:59 pm

I didn't see the "hit a girl" line when watching Q, so I guess that's just a difference of subs and whatnot.

Discussing whether or not Shinji really was being escapist in EoE-I don't think he was. First of all, I think he was just a horrifyingly fucking lonely boy who decided to pin his entire life on Asuka in the hopes that Asuka would accept him, which Asuka then refused. But that's escapist behavior, and I don't think Shinji was really being escapist himself. It's a bit hard to communicate what I mean, but while I agree that he wanted Asuka to love him unconditionally, I really don't see '25 as a story of escapist Shinji. I see it as the story of a fucked-up person who's lost his will to live and just wants to be loved, even a little bit, and has gone so far off the deep end, he's just forgotten how to act rationally. When in the calmness of Instrumentality, Shinji rejected it rather quickly, even though he just previously said he wanted everyone to die. I also think that EoE!Shinji was so much more fucked up than Q!Shinji, so the comparison doesn't really work like that.

Asuka was similarly so fucked up at that point that she was just reacting and not acting as a voice of reason in any way. She tried to seduce Shinji by making him wank to her which isn't a very reasonable thing to do, is it?

Edit: Also, the fact that the Wunder crew should have been better in their treatment of Shinji is understandable, but after 14 years of hard fighting against people who they think literally want to end the world with the world a hellscape, most of which was caused by this one person would probably cause some spite and conflicted feeling towards this person. It's even more complicated with Misato and Asuka since they were friends with Shinji and a part of one family. Also, uh, "failed communication" is a bit of a theme in Q.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:02 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Wasn't Asuka trying to kill Shinji an early fansub mistranslation?

Exactly! If my listening don't trick me, she says:
『大人しくやられろ、ガキシンジ!』
Otonashiku yararero, GAKI Shinji!

I don't know what "yararero" means, honestly.

Edit: there's an official explanation..
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:02 pm

Yeah, in regards to Asuka trying to kill Shinji in Q, I'm 99 percent sure that was a mistranslation as well. It was more like she was saying accept your punishment or something along those lines.

Still doesn't excuse her immaturity in that scene though.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:09 pm

My personal interpretation of Asuka's lines and reaction through the movie is that for all her extra-time "alive" compared to Shinji, she didn't matured that much:
  • She spends most of the time bickering with Mari when they fight alongside each other
  • First thing she does upon seeing Shinji is to punch the glass separating them hard enough to crack it then launch on an edgelord tirade about how in this world one single person isn't worth the people's efforts, despite the fact that she had gone out of her way to go to see him (a fact that Mari didn't failed to lampshade to Asuka)
  • Her behavior during the fight in Lilith's Chamber, where instead of trying to explain to Shinji why he should stop trying to get the spears when it was clear that was being manipulated, she goes into a rage and attack him with all she got while calling him a brat (her line of "can't believe he actually hit a girl" is another great example)
  • Her shaking him at the end of the movie, obviously thinking that he's pouting instead of being near catatonic
Asuka did matured on some things, like how she doesn't want to be the center of attention as an elite pilot anymore and doesn't have problems fighting as a team with Mari, but I don't think that she completely matured as an adult.
You could also argue that Mari didn't changed much, but that's Mari being Mari. :tongue:

As for Shinji, remember that there are numerous obvious hints in Q that his stunt at the end of 2.0 is not what transformed the world into that red hellscape, but rather that it was what happened between Mark.06, the 12th Angel and Lilith afterward while Shinji was "dead".
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:10 pm

The line is genuinely ambiguous - including the possibility that she meant it one way & Shinji interpreted it another.

That verb strictly means "defeat" (lit. "let yourself be defeated") but is often used to imply "kill" (cf Naruto, every yakuza-themed video game ever)

But she's coming at him with a spear so yeah.

I don't think she was supposed to be genuinely accusing him of sexism, just general annoyedness at one's enemies (that you're already sort of demonizing or at least emotionally distancing yourself from), that's something she has done before (ie transparently fake being attacked by some perv when Kaji wouldn't pick up the phone)
Let's not forget that she's an experienced general and he's a confused child soldier, & mostly fought reluctantly & defensively in that battle, it's not at all comparable to the total irrational rage from EoE (in what is a largely metaphorical scene that gave visual expression to their unsaid/subtextual feelings & represents his rejection of the past world; There was an actual kitchen conversation ("Kaji is dead!" one) where much of this was probably thought but not said/done)

That said, she's trying to prevent Fourth Impact so I wouldn't say that lethal force would have been inappropiate/indefensible there

Ultimately this has always been a story about how powerless and inconsequential sentiment feels in the face of cold-far reaching organization and harsh war-like realities (Nadia is kind of the same) and that whole contrast, but the answer is not as simple as "haha sentiment is useless", in both shows it's kind of what prevents the catastrophe in the end; It#s probably more about finding a balance between sentiment and pragmatism that the condemnation of either
Last edited by Kendrix on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:16 pm

If it's any consolation, the Funimation dub, the one revived by Khara(I know a lot of people here don't like Funimation's dub, but considering Khara supervised this one should be enough for consideration) has Asuka say "lie down and accept your punishment", with no mention of killing Shinji.

And just to emphasize again, this was the one that was supervised by Khara itself.
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”