Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:53 am

Maybe they're the same place Shinji was at the end of the short film Until You Come To Me ...In that short film there are birds and a pool of water...I remember there were birds in the trailer as well

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:02 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I don't know if it was already noted, but there are living fishes in the water whatever this place is

I did see the fishes right off the first viewing and my immediate thought upon seeing that shot was "Lilin settlement has purified water now?". Since we're really expecting to see Toji, Hikari, and Kensuke among the refugees in there, that'd be a nice callback to the kids' visit to maritime preservation zone 14 years ago in 2.0, plus a hint that Kaji *might* be still alive or the grown-up kiddos are trying their best to honor Kaji's wishes of seeing the blue ocean being restored with life in his memories if he's dead.

I really think elements from 2.0 like that part and recurring theme of eating food with everyone will return and be a part of Shin's emotional core, since we also have that shot of Wille's food tray with vegetables in it, signifying that preservation efforts of nature lives still exist out there as well as showing just how soulless Neo-NERV are.
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:06 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:I remember there were birds in the trailer as well

Yeah, that's a reference the first scene from 1.0, the same reference was used in “until You come to me”.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:58 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote: If people expect a similar conclusion to this continuity......I wouln't. NTE never has build up a psychologicaal drama. A main character with issues? Yes. But there is no introspection in this continuity. From the beginning was meant to be a blockbuster.

I agree with you. But, for me, the "anti-escapism" message is still there in the Rebuilds (as we can clearly see in 3.0) and that was the whole point of EOE and the "I Need You" scene. So, even though you are probably right, I would not be surprised if we got an ending with a similar idea behind it.
Honestly, at this point, I would take anything that focused more on the raw interactions between the main cast. I want to see less bombastic visuals, less people shouting things that the viewer can barely understand and more character to character moments (which are the greatest strength of Evangelion, in my opinion). This does not mean that I want all of the amazing battle scenes to disappear. I just think that those and the heavy dialogue scenes should be better balanced. But that's all subjectival and I know.
One thing that I'm really hoping for is to see Shikinami getting more prominence in the story. She is such a cool take on the character that is already my favorite one. Let's just hope that she gets more screen time on this movie!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:17 pm

Fellas, I just rewatched the last two episodes of Nadia in case I found something and almost had a heart attack:
I have a baaad feeling about this.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Is Kaworu Neo then?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Oh, God! That's make sense!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Holy crap. Yeah, Anno is going all in on the Nadia parallels for this one. Think I'm going to have to re-watch the last 4 or so episodes before Shin comes out.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:48 pm

I've always felt like a scene like this would happen, given the trailer footage we've seen so far. (And the fact that Anno is going really hard on the Nadia callbacks since Eva Q.) In Nadia, that scene was the climax. In Shin Eva, I wonder if a scene like that precedes the climax. Wille tries to stop Gendo before he initiate Final Impact, gets there too late, Gendo does the thing anyway after being shot at, and Mari, Asuka, and Shinji have to pilot up and interrupt Final Impact once and for all.

I can't imagine Evangelion not ending on a global outbreak of something.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:50 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Is Kaworu Neo then?

I was thinking about this too. I believe more people are involved in the confrontation if all of those red background shots are from the same scene and they could be anyone including Kaworu, a plot point about Neo involves Gargoyle "reviving" Neo's body to make use of him as well as Nadia being kidnapped and brainwashed too, they could very much do the same thing to Kaworu and Rei. Oh, here's another one (spoiler toggle because it's too big):
SPOILER: Show

Also, while it's not an exactly similar shots, the shot from teaser #2 could very well be Shin's version of Gargoyle showing Nadia the "museum of human being" which was full of failed experiments, but this time Fuyutsuki shows Rei (ReiQ?) those failed Rei clones in 3.0. Motomu Kiyokawa is about to kill it again!

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:02 pm

^
I think is a good idea link your post with this thread: “Nemesis Ra Kozo: Fuyutsuki's Possible Role in Shin” by Reichu.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:18 pm

When I was watching the trailer for the first time, I actually recognized the first two of these. But I thought I was getting crazy or something hahahaha. Now that you went back and found the others, it makes much more sense.
Nice to see Anno going back and referencing Nadia. I found that series to be very enjoyable.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:24 pm

@JoelcrNeto: I'll probably do that later since I'm already on phone now.

On a less serious note, since we're almost definitely going to find out about the truth behind Third Impact and coreified red earth in Shin, giving the film an alternate English subtitle "The Truth of Red Earth" would make a great exact opposite to "The Secret of Blue Water".
:mari_ahaha:

EDIT:
View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Nice to see Anno going back and referencing Nadia. I found that series to be very enjoyable.

I find it to be very heartwarming. Since Nadia was the series that gave Anno a lot of mental burden because of its troubled production, seeing him referencing the hell out of that series in the last two Rebuild films feels like him making peace with the past and wear it as a badge of honor.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:33 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Is Kaworu Neo then?

So Misato should be play the role of Nemo ...
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:33 pm

I really need to see Nadia before doing my Rebuild rewatch

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:00 pm

^^ in the dreaded Island arc of Nadia there's a close up of waves lapping on a beach in twilight which cuts to Nadia and Jean lying side by side on the beach identical to Shinji and Asuka at the end of EoE.

I've a theory that in the ADAMs in Rebuild have a place in the story similar to the Atlanteans in Nadia. Rather than Seeds of life sent through space, the ADAMs travelled through space to Earth and formed an ancient pre-cursor civilisation, which the Lilin in some way followed or grew from, the two races being successive not competitive

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:04 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote: I find it to be very heartwarming. Since Nadia was the series that gave Anno a lot of mental burden because of its troubled production, seeing him referencing the hell out of that series in the last two Rebuild films feels like him making peace with the past and wear it as a badge of honor.

I think that is his whole thing with the Rebuilds, honestly. He has grown and, thus, is able to go back and revisit the past. But, since he has changed, the story is obviously not going to be exactly the same thing as before.
Evangelion is a reflection of his state of being. That's why I think many people are hoping for a more serene conclusion this time around. Similar optimistic type of message, but with less melancholic visuals

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 pm

View Original PostLacissal wrote:^^ in the dreaded Island arc of Nadia there's a close up of waves lapping on a beach in twilight which cuts to Nadia and Jean lying side by side on the beach identical to Shinji and Asuka at the end of EoE.

I've a theory that in the ADAMs in Rebuild have a place in the story similar to the Atlanteans in Nadia. Rather than Seeds of life sent through space, the ADAMs travelled through space to Earth and formed an ancient pre-cursor civilisation, which the Lilin in some way followed or grew from, the two races being successive not competitive
It is very probable ... According to what Gendo said, the members of SEELE have over time helped the human race to reach civilization ... Perhaps Instrumentality is nothing more than an experiment of the Adams to make us more like their...

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:05 pm

A lot of the similarities between Nadia and Rebuild seems to have been comprehensively covered here:
thread/15873/30-Fushigi-no-Umi-no-Nadia-Connections-and-Implication/
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:23 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:A lot of the similarities between Nadia and Rebuild seems to have been comprehensively covered here:
thread/15873/30-Fushigi-no-Umi-no-Nadia-Connections-and-Implication/

Certainly something bad will happen to one of the main cast characters who will remind many people the plot of the last episodes of Nadia I'm sure ... Misato, Gendo and Fuyutsuki for me are the ones most in danger ...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”