Beatdown on Gendo

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation. Readers enter at their own risk.
Password protection scheduled to begin 15:00 UTC on March 7. 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Beatdown on Gendo

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:56 am

Ritsuko's lips aren't "flapping." That's detailed mouth animation. She's clearly shouting "GENDO!"

She doesn't look too happy with him either.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:26 am

We've just had one just as convinced that she's shouting "Misato!"

I do think that looks more like three syllabes but im not sure at all
Alas poor Kaworu! I knew him well...
Todo list:
- Essay on the character's roles in each others introspec sequences
- Good faith Analysis of Mari
- Finish ep 8 commentary

Joseki
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:11 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Ritsuko's lips aren't "flapping." That's detailed mouth animation. She's clearly shouting "GENDO!"

She doesn't look too happy with him either.

I definitely read her saying Misato, not Gendo.

Jayfive
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:34 am

Precedence suggests she would shout “Ikari”not “Gendo”

Out of all the living characters, only Mari has referred to him as Gendo. Or rather “Gendo-Kun”. Which I still believe is a clue that Mari is a contemporary of he and Yui and therefore that extra manga chapter does in fact have significance.

But yeah everyone else called him “Ikari” or “Commander”
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:50 am

I think someone most likely Misato shot Gendo, but it's too late Gendo has probably already used Nebuchadnezzar's Key to sacrifice his soul to Eva 13 so his body is just a puppet of flesh and mechanisms and with his death the ritual to push the Eva 13 has to use her soul and that of Kaworu to open the doors of the Guf again will be complete. Maybe before this Shinji got in the way between Misato and Gendo and asked Misato if before shooting he could talk to his father one last time but Ritsuko shouted at Misato to hurry up, after the apparent death of Gendo Misato may wish to get closer to Shinji and apologize but can't find the courage and that's why she was holding her arm that way in the trailer.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:24 pm

I don't think it will be Misato, there's too much unlikely narrative gymnastics involved in making that face to face possible, lest it be some random non sequitur like the Char/Amuro brawl in Char's Counterattack. I'm fairly certain that this is just Anno messing with perspectives and, by extension, our heads
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ Joseki
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:34 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I don't think it will be Misato, there's too much unlikely narrative gymnastics involved in making that face to face possible, lest it be some random non sequitur like the Char/Amuro brawl in Char's Counterattack. I'm fairly certain that this is just Anno messing with perspectives and, by extension, our heads

There is no doubt about the fact that Anno is joking with our heads ... But if I remember correctly before the summer the Japanese voice actors of Shinji and Gendo on Twitter had said that they had done a long section of dubbing together, I guess this was maybe at least can confirm that Shinji was actually staring at his father while he had a hole in his face...

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Just narratively speaking, Shinji and Gendo are bound to have some sort of face to face showdown. I don't think we can draw any conclusions about who (if anyone!) is in the scene with Gendo just based on that
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ Joseki
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:35 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Just narratively speaking, Shinji and Gendo are bound to have some sort of face to face showdown. I don't think we can draw any conclusions about who (if anyone!) is in the scene with Gendo just based on that

I did not say that there will be a face-to-face showdown ... What I mean is that Shinji certainly try to convince his father to surrender, but Gendo will defend himself by saying that he did this only for his mother and how in the manga he will try to convince him to help him but instead this time Shinji will tell him that he will try to interfere in his plans ...Such a thing if I'm not mistaken had already happened in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3...Let's wait and see what that crazy genius Anno has in store for Gendo ...

Thesufferingpumpkin
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 am

Shinji is gonna punch gendo in the visor.

I’m actually interested to see what’s behind that visor, I thought it was just a thing thrown in there to make him look futuristic, but I wonder if his eyes are dead soulless eyes, in reference to how he’s gave up his own soul to get what he wants.

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:58 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:Shinji is gonna punch gendo in the visor.

I’m actually interested to see what’s behind that visor, I thought it was just a thing thrown in there to make him look futuristic, but I wonder if his eyes are dead soulless eyes, in reference to how he’s gave up his own soul to get what he wants.

I think he is reduced as Keel Lorenz in EOE ... That he sold his soul at Eva 13 to increase his chances of seeing Yui again is not known even if it is very likely

writer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:34 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:There was a concept sketch that still showed him with his normal eyes underneath; I think it will be more of a "barrier symbolism" thing where we don't find out what he's really thinking/ his motivation until we see his eyes.

It could also be that, just as the Giant Rei Head had its eyes removed, so did Gendo. He may have similar seals to the ones we see on Lillith's mask over his eyes, making him an agent of Seele and no longer a threat to their attempts to create the God Eva.
Shinji did nothing wrong!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:20 pm

I can see the part about him removing his eyes, but not at the command of Seele. He and Fuyutsuki did shut down the monoliths in Q, and killed the seele members in doing so

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:07 pm

Perhaps the visor gave Gendo the combined knowledge of all the members of SEELE about the spears, the angels, Lilith, Kaworu and the Instrumentality and perhaps also a sort of mental bond with them which he managed to get rid of thanks to their death at the hands of Fuyutsuki...Damaging the visor could likely have serious and disastrous consequences on the Gendo's body after the latter attempts to use Nebuchadnezzar's Key on Eva 13.

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:30 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Are we going to see a situation like The Major from Hellsing...
SPOILER: Show
...where we find out at the end he was a cyborg the whole time?

Bwahahaha, opposite Darth Maul

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:
View Original PostArcadia's legacy#903688 wrote:Are we going to see a situation like The Major from Hellsing...
SPOILER: Show
...where we find out at the end he was a cyborg the whole time?

Bwahahaha, opposite Darth Maul

I've always envisioned the beat down being delivered by Misato and Shinji.

Stop Double Posting - Ursus
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:45 pm

Anno may be trolling us again with the sequence of images in the trailer ... But anyway I think Shinji and Misato will really come face to face with Gendo, Shinji will mostly talk to him while Misato will jump right into action. .. Let's see what Anno comes up with these 3 ...

writer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:51 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Perhaps the visor gave Gendo the combined knowledge of all the members of SEELE...

Very interesting. A thought here:
In NGE, Keel Lorenz (the leader of Seele and the last one with a body) wore a visor like this.

We also see some indication that Gendo may be physically like Keel, mecha-spine and all, but I don't believe it's been confirmed on-screen.

This mask could connect the wearer to the other members of Seele as well as their influence networks, the souls within the monoliths, players on the surface, etc. But in NGE Keel still had the other members of Seele, each with their own connected network and, assumedly, their own tasks and roles.

In NTE, Keel never has a body. All members of Seele are within monoliths. Turning off Seele and then equipping this device would indicate a change in power; turning a triune of souls gathered through the ages into a monarchy run by one man. The King of Lillin himself, Gendo Ikari.

Keel's soul is retained within the monoliths, and even when he gets tanged we see a speck of soul/light float upward from him. Gendo has been said to have "sacrificed his soul" to achieve his goals. Is Gendo's soul gone, or does Gendo perhaps have a monolith of his own with his soul inscribed into it?
Shinji did nothing wrong!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:22 pm

Gendo describes his soul as being gone because that was the final step in his scheme against them that he had running ever since at least Yui vanished, probably longer. The man just in that scene has killed all members of Seele. He does not have his own monolith, because he fundamentally works against them. It's the reason they don't let him into the base on the moon and why he looks in satisfaction as 01 awakens and blows a massive hole into their plans, forcing their hand with 06 ahead of time and setting up his actions in Q. Gendo openly works against Seele for the entire time in NTE

bladerj
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:14 am

i think Misato shot him clean off, but he didnt die because he merged with the key of something,
ANATA BAKA !?

FXArmaros98
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:05 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:i think Misato shot him clean off, but he didnt die because he merged with the key of something,

With the Nebuchadnezzar's Key Gendo most likely has certainly given his soul to Eva 13, but I believe that the shot did not kill him not because he used the key but because he is now more machine than man ...

Return to “Evangelion 3.0+1.0 [SPOILERS]”