Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:58 pm

I was pulling my hair out trying to remember where have I seen the red background in those shots with Shinji, Misato, Gendo and Ritsuko. Turns out it was from these shots in the original Q preview:
Do you think there's a possibility that some missing scenes in Q's preview could finally show up in Shin? To be frank, I am quite sad that we don't get to see HAworu in that banger outfit and looking super wet. :shifty:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:59 pm

^That sigil is already in 3.0, but it's really well-hidden

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Good guess I say

Reichu found these beauties:
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:24 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Image

The heat lance that Asuka is seen using at the beginning of Q distinctively resembling the Spear of Cassius is hardly a coincidence. We see that Unit-01 is indeed holding the Cassius in its fight against 13. If that battle actually happens and isn't some kind of bait, is it safe to assume that maybe WILLE had the Cassius all along? Maybe Asuka's been training with it for... whatever reason. She did seem partial to lances/glaives in Q. Until she started busting shit up with heavy artillery that is.

Maybe, but there's still a LONG road of speculation, remember that apparently spears can morph (or they don't? We don't know! Dammit, you cryptic Kaworu!) and Unit 13 is missing it's second impaled Spear of Longinus, maybe Wille stole the other SOL? Maybe the SOL morphed into SOC and Wille stole it? Maybe Wille always had the SOC and the second SOL was a mere copy?...
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:00 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Reichu found these beauties:

Ooooh are those NTEs MPE?? Cause if so that's an interesting design, not quite as monstrous as NGE but still alien an"otherly" i like it.

Shikinami backstory might be something to add emotional weight to w/e Asuka will do in final. Aside from NGE Asuka nostalgia, Shikinami hasn't garnered the same emotional attachment as Soryu did.

BlackSuitMari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BlackSuitMari » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:21 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:^That sigil is already in 3.0, but it's really well-hidden

Reichu found these beauties:

Would those be the new Mass Production Evangelions?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:11 am

they look a lot less wacky up close
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:54 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:It'd be total character assassination to have Asuka still feel something for Shinji after 14 years though. A few of Mari's lines towards Asuka regarding Shinji hints that we're missing a big chunk of context, true, but if they even remotely go down that route I hope to God it's not at the expense of believable character building. We don't need a ship that leaks and feels cheap.

The more I think about it, the more that I'm not so sure that Asuka, and by extension Mari, were even awake for these past 14 years like we think they were. We're told it's been 14 years, but Asuka (and Mari) doesn't really act all that much different from how she did in 2.0. It's almost as if time hasn't passed at all for her. We assume that mentally she's 28, but is she really? Asuka's reaction to Shinji seemed very angry, as if the memory of what happened were still fresh in her mind, as if it were yesterday. 14 years is a long time to hold onto a grudge like that. You'd think that after a while Asuka would sort of just stop caring as much about it and simmer down, and her reaction to hearing Shinji is back would be more of curiosity that he's actually back rather than anger.

That's why I bring up this point, are we absolutely certain that Asuka and Mari are actually 28? One of the big themes of 3.0 was things turning out to not be what they initially seem on the surface, and this could be another instance of that. Being that everything we are seeing and hearing was from Shinji perspective, we might not be getting the full story. This leads me to believe that Asuka and Mari could have possibly been in a similar state to the one Shinji was in before being pulled out of Unit-01 as a result of something that happened during the real Third Impact. For example, after Near Third Impact, Asuka could have woken up from her coma, then the 12th Angel arrived and began the real Third Impact along with Mark-06, and it was up to Asuka and Mari to try to stop it. If just a partial impact was enough to cause Shinji to be absorbed into Unit-01, just imagine what a real impact could have done to a pilot?

The process of stopping the real Third Impact could have caused Asuka and Mari to be absorbed into their EVAs, and they have only recently returned to the world of the living as of a few weeks or months before the start of 3.0, going through a similar experience as Shinji when he first came out where Willie didn't initially trust them and put the DSS chokers on them as a safety measure. That 03 that was written on Shinji's foot could have a different meaning than Third Child. It could actually mean that he is the third pilot to have reemerged from their EVAs into Willie's custody after Asuka and Mari. Either that or Asuka and Mari might have spent most of those 14 years being kept in some sort of stasis by Willie, only being brought out when they were needed for battle. If any of the pilots could serve as impact triggers at any time, then it makes sense that Willie would want to keep them on ice where they have eyes on them rather than letting them roam around freely and needlessly create danger with their mere presence.

People are getting so hung up on the age gap thing that they aren't even stopping to consider the possibility that things might not be how they appear, much like how Shinji assumed that he's the only one who has to wear the DSS choker when we as the audience know the other pilots wear them as well. If they really wanted to do AsuShin, they easily could get around the age gap thing by revealing that Asuka isn't actually 28 and that she was LCLed by the real Third Impact just like Shinji was by Near Third Impact. The events of Third Impact are so vague that you could literally say anything happened during it and use it to explain pretty much any plot point you want.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:07 am

There was much speculation about this when Q first came out but then the Miyamura interview got translated.
"She's a general now" etc.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:36 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:There was much speculation about this when Q first came out but then the Miyamura interview got translated.
"She's a general now" etc.

Asuka also had a college degree and was a Captain of the European Airforce at age 14, so when you consider those accomplishments, her managing to become a general in a short amount of time after being pulled out of her Eva like Shinji (anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before him) isn't all that much of a stretch, especially with how short-staffed Willie is.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:56 am

The very fact that they place such emphasis on the contextualization there ("He isn't an idiot, he's a brat.") seems to to contradict that.

Heck, she even gives Misato the "name & rank treatment" at one point like Ritsuko used to.

Or when Asuka nearly punches in the glass she alls it "the pent up rage and regret" etc.

The WILLE character's actions frankly don't make any sense unless you consider that they've been living in a hellish warzone for years

EDIT: Here, from the Ogata one:
Time has passed for the other characters, only Ogata [Shinji] is still a middle-schooler/high-schooler [i.e. teenager] in both mind and body. And some new, younger characters are being introduced, so some new seiyuu in their 20s-30s are taking part of this.

If it's any consolation to you Anno has done all sorts of age gap ships before in other series, though again, I think the homeroom drama is over here, there's this strong sense of "This is war now" and the most we'll get in terms of romantic subplot is some small resolution conversation and maybe "Touji and Hikari are married with children now"

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:04 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I just finished introducing a friend of mine to the original series, EoE and all. When viewed through the lens of shipping, that whole movie is about how it will never work between Shinji and Asuka, even if the whole world depended on it.

Well, in the state they're in in the movie. In which it probably wouldn't work with anyone. But the fact that the film explores what issues prevent a healthy relationship also implies that such a relationship would be possible.
The comedic romance stuff in EoTV existed for a reason...even if slightly exaggerated lol.

As for Rebuild, the romantic sublots already started in 2.0, so it's not even a question of this last film introducing them. How important any of that will be I don't know, but it's definitely one way of telling a story about interpersonal issues.

I also don't believe self acceptance just comes from within without factoring in relationships to people. I don't know what stance on any of this Anno has though.
But 3.0 was a film about Shinji shutting himself off and that didn't lead anywhere.

In the end any romantic element will be in if Anno wants, amd can be potentially good or not. Possibilities are limitless.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:47 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Well that would explain the young Asuka shot, as if Shinji goes through the door he could see everyone lives in flashbacks plus the time he's lost or see in to the multiverse which was hinted at in the series though Shinji was seeing himself as happy, in this he might see Asuka's life or childhood...

Regarding the Reddit leak read at your own risk  SPOILER: Show
Oh wait this might explain the Asuka/Shinji leak thing that's going on, on reddit maybe he is seeing in to a world where they are together, but it's not the rebuild world. As Anno would do that if he wanted to pull the rug as every time I've heard about this it doesn't make sense to me as Rei is closer to Shinji romantically in this retelling not Asuka and Asuka feels closer to Mari romantically so him doing this could be a clever way to give the fans what they want but at the same time not.

The MarixAsuka is still a thing?

My god, i still don't know what have you seen in 3.0 that makes you people believe in that "theory".......

"Oh, Riggs & Murtaugh are a thing, just wait until Lethal Weapon 5 and you'll see...."

Because in 3.0 their dynamics are from a buddy movie. Only a fetish for les yay can make you think another option.

And I'm surprised that people still debate if that girls is not related to Asuka. Same hair, eyes and facial expression (pure "anta baka?). A flashback? A descendant? I can buy that : It's anime 101.

I know that is Evangelion and their fans hate Ockham's razor but believe me : the more twisted is your theory, more chances to be crushed.

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:It'd be total character assassination to have Asuka still feel something for Shinji after 14 years though. A few of Mari's lines towards Asuka regarding Shinji hints that we're missing a big chunk of context, true, but if they even remotely go down that route I hope to God it's not at the expense of believable character building. We don't need a ship that leaks and feels cheap.

Man, there are people talking about a Marix Asuka thing just because they have a buddy movie dynamic....

But be sure that in the wasteland both (Shinji and Asuka) are a gonna have a talk. Her face when he saves her in space, Mari's teasing or the "save the princess and learn how the world works" weren't for free. No, for the best or the worst, she hasn't forgotten him despite the time skip. Oh, and It wouldn't be cheaper than bringing back Rei II after releasing ReiQ (as a theory) or the confirmed Kaworu's return (service, service!!!). It's anime, it happens everyday!!!

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I just finished introducing a friend of mine to the original series, EoE and all. When viewed through the lens of shipping, that whole movie is about how it will never work between Shinji and Asuka, even if the whole world depended on it. (And despite the fact that I think they'd make a cute couple.)

Evangelion is not a ROMCOM, you cannot watch it with shipping lens, it's not how it works. I don't wanna fill the post with shipping, so here goes in spoiler

That is the reason the (strongly symbolic) "I need you" epilogue exists : After Instrumentality, there is a new world where both understand one each other better than before (despite being hurtful) and is open TO THE VIEWER whatever happens next. But one thing is for sure : it's in their hands, it's what Anno shows us. And the visuals of the scene (same position of their bodies, their hand close but still not touching) are pretty obvious in a symbolic way. I always though that the choice he did was an optimistic one. And more after learning that the ending where Shinji is left alone was discared .

And there is the cardass that released just after EOE, that which tell us how in the sea of LCL, despite hurting each other, she was the person he wanted the see the most. Yeah, I know it's not canonical but, man, still an official product. And just from a logical POV : if she didn't want to see him again, she could have come back from LCL in any place, not in the exact same spot he was.

I don't know, it was so obvious to me that some times people just wanna debate because, as I have said, they don't like the Ockham's razor. Even the only canonical image after EOE shows us that things have improved (It is the movie poster, I hope we're not argue about this....) The movie tell us how they cannot start a relationship being in such a broken state (and who could?), despite being attracted to each other (and that leads to 3I). The ending brings them the chance to start again, because this time there is no chance of running away, you have to face life. That's the point : you have to see and take into account the WHOLE MOVIE. The choice of an epilogue with just both characters wasn't a random one, it's coherent whith the rest of the film. Or even the series. Despite other important characters, the core always was the family living in Misato's apartment. At least, from a psychological POV.

Man, I'm almost 40, I've been an anime lover since I remember. After the release of EOE (I watched a bootleg subbed vhs copy which had LD as source) in 1999 and I recall reading every evangelion site I could at that time. This wasn't a debate. As an (shitty) example, nobody got surprised about waht Girlfriend fo Steel showed us (I played the psx version in Japanese in 2000), nobody said "why is Asuka shown in a cute jealous way and my waifu Rei left aside? Even the super robot wars franchise would take this into account. Angelic Days/GOS 2nd getting a LAS ending? A shitty manga, I know, but there was no surprise.

Shipping aside, pay attention to the big picture : I don't bet for Instrumentality. Or, at least, not like in EOE. That would feel cheaper for real. Even more than the shitty CG (why? why the MP EVAS Battle looks better?)

And please, don't bring back memories from the manga, neither insinuate any link between the anime (I'm not a big NTE fan, but I have respect for the work) and the (beautifully drawn) crap Sadamoto gave us :facepalm: . First of all, because NTE has to work as an standlone product. It's hard enough to glive closure to the saga, I hope they don't open the real "door of Gauf".
Last edited by Jäeger on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:23 am

Ppl always ship the rivals I guess.

Mari X Nagara is clearly the superior option :devil:

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:24 am

:mari_love:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 am

EVA 13 looks like it's wearing 80s pants

Also reminds me of the first 1.0 cover tho

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:42 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
The very fact that they place such emphasis on the contextualization there ("He isn't an idiot, he's a brat.") seems to to contradict that.

Heck, she even gives Misato the "name & rank treatment" at one point like Ritsuko used to.

Or when Asuka nearly punches in the glass she alls it "the pent up rage and regret" etc.

The WILLE character's actions frankly don't make any sense unless you consider that they've been living in a hellish warzone for years

EDIT: Here, from the Ogata one:

If it's any consolation to you Anno has done all sorts of age gap ships before in other series, though again, I think the homeroom drama is over here, there's this strong sense of "This is war now" and the most we'll get in terms of romantic subplot is some small resolution conversation and maybe "Touji and Hikari are married with children now"

Well, he doesn't act too mature in front of him or talking about him. And the grudge he holds after 14 years is not the best example of adulthood. The general thing? She was a captain 4 years before, there are not a lot of people in Wille. There was no surprise with the revelation, same way Misato got a "promotion"-

Q planted some clues about how she still feels about him (for the better or the worse). That those seeds grow or are left aside is up to Anno. Maybe he is not gonna give us any romantic plot (for anybody), but I'm sure that talk between A & S is gonna take place in the wasteland. Same way I bet everything in a development of ReiQ's individuality.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:You now what? Despite alternate realities being a staple of both Anno’s and Sadamoto’s Evangelion endings in the past, it never once crossed my mind that Shin Eva would have one.

What kind of alternate reality did we witness in the manga? No, the ending wasn't an alternate reality.
Last edited by Jäeger on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:38 am

Jäeger, I deleted the posts you had trouble deleting. I'm not sure why you couldn't delete your posts, but I'm sure a staff member more knowledgeable with the code and business of the sort will find any problem there is. On an unrelated matter, you've continued to quote entire posts both in this and the Evangelion ANIMA thread-as I have already said many times, please refrain from doing so unless you consider it absolutely necessary and when usually using quotes, quote only the parts (most) relevant to what you're going to say. Thank you.

On topic, it's great to see so much enthusiasm and interest for Shin and even cooler that we have had a new trailer full of so much tantalizing information. The following year, whatever other challenges it may bring, is at least going to be great in terms of anything Eva-related. Let's look forward to Shin and the end of NTE and an era for both Anno and Eva! Something great is going on.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:53 am

While Shin Eva is obviously the main course, we still have the appetizer that is Evangelion: 3.333 which I'm sure will generate conversations, then the desserts like Utada's new single, Sagisu's soundtrack album, and the eventual Blu-ray release.

After more than 8 years, it's just so damn satisfying to get THIS many official Eva materials in a relatively short span of time.
:mari_love:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:25 am

Oh yes, there's plenty of new Eva material coming, but Shin is the big draw after all, isn't it? (Also, Eva 3.333 is such a stupid name.)

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:39 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:It looks like Asuka, but it could be a new character.

If it's a character that helps us to understand a little bit more about Asuka's past or future, I would be delighted (even if it wasn't her). I miss her as a protagonist!

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Other things are more or less expected, like Shinji piloting (suck it lol!), though I didn't really expect a fight with Unit 01 VS Unit 13. Presumably it's piloted by Kaworu? Hmm. A lot of people assume he was absorbed into Unit 13 and not outright killed. Another possibility is that Unit 13 is piloted by Kaworu clones or dummy plugs, like the MP Evas in EoE. Buuuuut Kaworu mentions in 3.0 that a clone can't pilot Unit 13.

I believe that Unit 13 is being pilot by Kaworu's or Rei Q's dummy plug. Shinji would be there, fighting his escapist/unrealistic friends in order to grow and help save the world, as a human first and foremost. It would be a great way to show his development as a person, compared to 3.0. But that's just a guess.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”