Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:12 pm

I hope not, NTE being a self contained loop sounds boring, right up there with "it was all a dream" type thing.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:51 pm

A lot of shots in the trailers like a fully restored Tokyo-III and blue sky backgrounds look very placeholderish for me. The same goes to these shots, both of them used the same generic blue-white background. They're definitely still hiding a lot of stuff.
Anyway, this new trailer makes me nostalgic to 1.0 and 2.0 days because we're finally getting a 90-seconds action-packed pre-release trailer with an Utada song after 3.0 skipped that for a good reason (although there's a few post-release). If we follow the old pattern, there should be one more trailer with Sagisu's score since 1.0 had one with Angel of Doom and 2.0 with Final Decision.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:54 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:We are still lacking thematic/story context here, but somethimg tells me that this might be intentional. Like some people mentioned, it looks tokusatsu-ish, and Eva-02 in EoE also always seemed more human to me (which made the battle feely very brutal).

Maybe we are meant to see Eva-01 as am extension of Shinji at some point in the film, or truly just as Yui.

I doubt that the Eva battle looking kind of sloppy is an intentional thing. Eva fans love to read way too much into these movies, sometimes they need to realize that a cigar can just be a cigar.

And although the Eva battle in EoE looked very human, the reason it was so brutal feeling was because they deliberately made the Eva's movements slower than human movements. It really felt like 80 meter tall monsters duking it out. However, as I already pointed out, the Eva battle in the new trailer was clearly just mo-capped, with no alterations made to the Evas' movement to account for their size. That made it feel like almost the opposite of brutal, with the Evas seemingly being weightless (a recurring problem in the Rebuilds).

It's not really a big problem though. I'm still excited for the movie, and any wonky aspects of the CG can probably be fixed in the Blu-ray release.

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:47 am

Time travel is always the dumbest solution ever conceived in any media it's not only cheap but completely undermines whatever you were trying to do with a story...

Not a fan but if it's true then whatever.. Nothing really matters at all. :facepalm:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:53 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I doubt that the Eva battle looking kind of sloppy is an intentional thing.

I don't think it looked sloppy. It felt weird to me seeing it out of the blue for the first time, but now I like it.

However, as I already pointed out, the Eva battle in the new trailer was clearly just mo-capped, with no alterations made to the Evas' movement to account for their size. That made it feel like almost the opposite of brutal, with the Evas seemingly being weightless (a recurring problem in the Rebuilds).

There's no reason these can't be stylistic choices. You obviously are in your right to dislike them, but with how often Anno has proven he dominates weighty monster action (Shin Godzilla) I doubt any of this is accidental.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:09 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:There's no reason these can't be stylistic choices. You obviously are in your right to dislike them, but with how often Anno has proven he dominates weighty monster action (Shin Godzilla) I doubt any of this is accidental.

You could potentially be right, although I'll have to hold out judgement until I actually see the movie. I'm not a big fan of stylized combat in general, though. I hated the weightless wire combat in Crouching Tiger, for very similar reasons as to why I hate the weightless Evas in Rebuild. When there's no sense of weight, it removes a bit of the dramatic tension in my opinion.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:11 am

∆ Yeah, these things are very subjective.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:23 am

View Original PostFredsq wrote:Isn't that Sohryu's hair colour though? LOOP THEORY CONFIRMED.

The person saturated the image.

Here's the actual close ups of the faces without the saturation:
In and of itself, self-evident.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:39 am

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:
Here's the actual close ups of the faces without the saturation:

Kaworu...that's just like him.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:47 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:And although the Eva battle in EoE looked very human, the reason it was so brutal feeling was because they deliberately made the Eva's movements slower than human movements. It really felt like 80 meter tall monsters duking it out. However, as I already pointed out, the Eva battle in the new trailer was clearly just mo-capped, with no alterations made to the Evas' movement to account for their size. That made it feel like almost the opposite of brutal, with the Evas seemingly being weightless (a recurring problem in the Rebuilds).

This is not present in 1.0 and 2.0
Not 1.0 'cuz they were practically tracing over NGE's animation.
Not 2.0 because the CGI was mostly used as reference. Eva 05 its animated beautifully and all Evas organically. There's a sense of weight to the Evas, motion deformation, momentum and inertia.
In Q I feel everything looks like a 3D model being moved around. I works in the space opening at 0-G, but once you see the Wunder everything looks stiff.
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:01 am

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Not 2.0 because the CGI was mostly used as reference. Eva 05 its animated beautifully and all Evas organically. There's a sense of weight to the Evas, motion deformation, momentum and inertia.

I think it was still a problem in 2.0. I'm reminded most of the battle between Unit 2 and the 10th Angel. Unit 2 was jumping around like freaking Mario, with no sense of weight at all. It's a problem in other parts as well: remember when Unit 3 jumping on Unit 1's chest was replaced by a weird spinning divekick that seems impossible for an 80 meter tall monster? There are similar moments throughout the movie.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:17 am

PROJECT EVANGELION
EVA-08γ-IRUL
Entry System

Pilot:
Mari Makinami Illustrious

BusterMachine4 wrote:remember when Unit 3 jumping on Unit 1's chest was replaced by a weird spinning divekick that seems impossible for an 80 meter tall monster?

You gotta admit this is basically the same:

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:22 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:You gotta admit this is basically the same:

Well, let's just say there's a reason I prefer not to think about the Action Arc. I'm not a big fan of stupid cartoonish moments in an otherwise serious show.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:51 am

Neither am I, but I came to appreciate the Action Arc for making the Descent Arc all the harder-hitting, after the relatively dark Intro Arc. The same likewise with 2.0, which I disliked but which I now see as necessary for making the pathos of 3.0 possible. Otherwise, both NGE and Rebuild would've gotten too dark too quickly and that would've exhausted the audience and robbed both of their impact. The comedic action moments actually hold off Darkness Induced Audience Apathy aka The Deadly Eight Words ("I don't care what happens to these people") so that we get to feel for them when things really go downhill.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:28 am

I made a comparison gif on a whim to see whether the Unit-13 shot is really a reference to Kaworu's classic pose and the result absolutely terrified me. The pose, the way they turned their heads, and the dusk sky.

There's no way it's just a coincidence. :shinji_irk:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:09 am

I remember that Mahiro Maeda in 2016 had published a strange illustration where Kaworu and Shinji were depicted physically fighting each other under a 6-armed Evangelion holding spears ... Maybe the scene of the fight between 01 with the Spear of Cassius and the 13 with the Spear of Longinus is attributable to that drawing.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:49 am

It doesn't look like the scene where the two Evas are fighting is completely finished to me. The two Evas don't seem to have any kind of atmospheric lighting applied so they don't blend into the environment the way they should. Compare to that other shot of 13.

GhostlyOcam wrote:I made a comparison gif on a whim to see whether the Unit-13 shot is really a reference to Kaworu's classic pose and the result absolutely terrified me. The pose, the way they turned their heads, and the dusk sky.

Behold!
SPOILER: Show
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:57 am

Kaworu is stuck inside 13 so he was always going to fight Shinji, it's not surprising.

@bluebasilisk we discussed this exact parallel on discord but nobody could be assed to make screenshots so thanks. :lol:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:01 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I made a comparison gif on a whim to see whether the Unit-13 shot is really a reference to Kaworu's classic pose and the result absolutely terrified me. The pose, the way they turned their heads, and the dusk sky.

Good job, and I se your point and I do agree that Kaworu and Unit 13 are still linked in some way...

but the Kuleshov Effect won’t let me see this gif as anything other than Unit 13 and Kaworu giving each other bedroom eyes.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:03 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:It doesn't look like the scene where the two Evas are fighting is completely finished to me.

Behold!
SPOILER: Show
The thing that interests me most is to know when the duel between the 2 Eva takes place ... It occurs to me that after the defeat of Gendo, Kaworu's soul who took control of Unita 13 decided to give humanity and Shinji a sort of Ultimatum: Shinji will have to decide whether to side with him or become a sort of champion representative of the Lilin is the winner of their clash he will decide what to do with humanity ... If Shinji does not stay on condition, do not give him adequate response Kaworu-Eva 13 will immediately proceed to attack the surplus humans and attempt the Instrumentality again.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”