Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:54 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Not super likely, but possible, & perhaps you could tie it in with Asuka continuing to act as a mentor of sorts to ReiQ.

Drill Sergeant Asuka for the win! :D Jokes aside, I also love that idea. Rebuild is just so much fun for me because we have new interpretations of each character, making it hard to predict their endgames.

Anyway regarding this scene, the fact that she looks like a younger Asuka and the shot looking greyer than the others give a flashback-y feeling.
While it never snows in Japan after the Second Impact, it should be noted that even after Near-Third Impact there's a part of the world that still snows (e.g. Wille's temporary base in the beginning of 3.0), wouldn't be impossible if this hypothetical flashback scene takes place in Europe, maybe somewhere in German or England. Maybe a scene with smol Asuka and Mari to flesh out these two's backstory'? They've been closely associated with each other in Rebuild and I think it's more than being fellow Eva pilots for the last fourteen years, their relationship is almost sister-like. We'll see. ^_^
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

writer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:57 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:While it never snows in Japan after the Second Impact, it should be noted that even after Near-Third Impact there's a part of the world that still snows

Just as a note, until You come to me has snow occurring in Japan.
Shinji did nothing wrong!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:06 am

The wunder is also on a frozen lake for a bit in Q proper - its possible that NTI flipped things straight around to eternal winter

to shin-chan snow would be as alien as all the core stuff...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:15 am

View Original Postwriter wrote:Just as a note, until You come to me has snow occurring in Japan.

I don't really take UYCTM as a reliable canon source for Rebuild since it's also full of NGE symbolism, I see it as a mood piece that encapsulates the franchise as a whole in poetic way. The snowy part could be tease that there will be scenes involving snow in Shin, but that's kind of it for me.

Kendrix wrote:The wunder is also on a frozen lake for a bit in Q proper - its possible that NTI flipped things straight around to eternal winter

Exactly. We've seen so little outside of Tokyo-III in the Rebuild so far, things may be different in the other sides of the world.

EDIT:
Dunno whether to put this on social media or trailer thread but considering it's also a part of the new materials we get today, I'll just do it here.

Rei is also smiling! :w00t:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:26 am

I thought it was just Shinji & Mari, but actually they're all looking pretty happy, even Asuka and Rei!

...now can they please stay that way forever...

Kaworu's face came out a lil bit cursed image-ish tho XDD
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:33 am

Someone also pointed this out:

Now I'm starting to warm up to that part because OF COURSE Anno would do that! :w00t: Shin Eva having a ship-to-ship battle and a tokusatsu-like action scene, Anno is really going all-out with his obsessions in this film, huh?

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:46 am

Mari’s unfiltered “Yay we did it!” face is a wonderful thing.

She’s about three seconds away from just bombing straight into the water, clothes and all.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:10 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Drill Sergeant Asuka for the win! :D Jokes aside, I also love that idea. Rebuild is just so much fun for me because we have new interpretations of each character, making it hard to predict their endgames.

Anyway regarding this scene, the fact that she looks like a younger Asuka and the shot looking greyer than the others give a flashback-y feeling.
While it never snows in Japan after the Second Impact, it should be noted that even after Near-Third Impact there's a part of the world that still snows (e.g. Wille's temporary base in the beginning of 3.0), wouldn't be impossible if this hypothetical flashback scene takes place in Europe, maybe somewhere in German or England. Maybe a scene with smol Asuka and Mari to flesh out these two's backstory'? They've been closely associated with each other in Rebuild and I think it's more than being fellow Eva pilots for the last fourteen years, their relationship is almost sister-like. We'll see. ^_^

Winter, colder..so lightning changes.

Or Shinji gets Asuka pregnant, he dies during the movie and she is their child :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:12 am

IT'S ABOUT TIME Shinji FACES OFF AGAINST GENDO ONE VS ONE FISTFIGHT TO THE DEATH!

BUY BUY, ALL OF EVANGELION!

Image Image
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:15 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:While it never snows in Japan after the Second Impact, it should be noted that even after Near-Third Impact there's a part of the world that still snows (e.g. Wille's temporary base in the beginning of 3.0), wouldn't be impossible if this hypothetical flashback scene takes place in Europe, maybe somewhere in German or England.

Was the endless summer ever established as a thing in NTE? The Adams never destroyed Antarctica so the Earth most likely wasn't knocked off its axis.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:23 am

Someone shot Gendo in the visor, right? That's a bullet sized hole.

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:24 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:About the uniform scene.... Her trying to put on the uniform that she might found somewhere (Lilin settlement? Maybe Asuka or Hikari's old uniform) so she could know how it feels to be "Rei" and failing to do so because she's not her, but having Shinji there to help (who we can assume already went through the mental therapy by the time this scene happens) sounds like a bittersweet and heartwarming moment.

This reminds me of the shot from the earlier trailer of Shinji and Kaworu in talking in their ordinary school uniforms, so my wild guess is that these might be in a AU school type sequence. Going to propose a term that any kind of Instrumentality-like scene or Shin's version of HI be called Shinstrumentality

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Animation looks great. Very intrigued to see the change up in style action in regards to how they’re handling shot composition and camera movement......

There's a couple of quotes from Anno going back to NGE about how his approach to animation differed from Miyazaki or Otomo because in TV animation the budget and time pressure obviously impose limitations on what you can do, so he liked to do stuff like lots of quick cuts instead of an overabundance of detail. Combine that with in 3.0 and Shin they've also moved into new territory from the first two films were a lot of the key-animation from the series for major action sequences was used (in the CRC they said this is why Asuka's arrival against the 7th Angel was done because the key-animation from the Gaghiel fight in Ep.8 was lost.)

View Original PostJoseki wrote: Someone at khara is a MASSIVE space enthusiast. After the many Apollo/Saturn V references in 3.0, now there are Soviet space program references. The booster on the ships is a N1 rocket, the failed launcher that the USSR developed in secret to bring men on the Moon. I suspect the final operation Wille will launch will also reference that (Operation US in 3.0, Operation Russia in Shin?)

Good old old-school Otaku are as massive nerds for real world kit as they are for classic science fiction and anime. It's always fun seeing how small details here and there can inspire larger designs. Of the top of my head Yamashita tweeted recently that the radar dishes on the Wunder were inspired by a Soviet research vessel. Another one was Unit 05's face was inspired by one of the Eurostar train designs. The laser arrays in Gunbuster were based off the launch tubes of (I think) an Ohio-class submarine
SPOILER: Show

Personal favourite is Pyramid Head in Silent Hill being based off part of the hull of a German King Tiger tank.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:35 am

So now I'm really intrigued on what those white hexagonal boxes are. Since there's so many of them, they're probably not the MAGI system; but from the looks of the platform, it looks like the boxes can just slide onto the platform in front of Misato and Ritsuko.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:36 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Anyway regarding this scene, the fact that she looks like a younger Asuka and the shot looking greyer than the others give a flashback-y feeling.

The snow in the background makes me think this isn't a flashback. (Unless the Second Impact in the "Rebuild" films didn't have a long-lasting seasonal effect like it did in NGE, I forget.) My first thought was "Ooh! New character!" But this whole trailer has blind-sided me so much that I feel inadequate to make any predictions with any certainty.

I've been denying myself hype for this movie for YEARS, so I'm really just riding off of they hype high while it still lasts. Every new piece of information about this movie doesn't make me want to predict things; it makes me go "I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! OMG...."

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:40 am

Merry Christmas to us!

This movie will be the end of me.
God's in his Heaven because He's scared of our superior firepower...-Yui Ikari

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:46 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Someone also pointed this out:

Now I'm starting to warm up to that part because OF COURSE Anno would do that! :w00t: Shin Eva having a ship-to-ship battle and a tokusatsu-like action scene, Anno is really going all-out with his obsessions in this film, huh?

that ultraman tiga figth was just a one-off thing and the last fight against "dark zagi" which is just a an evil version of ultraman Noa was epic because Komon
at last became ultra.

I don't believe fighting an evil version of yourself is that rare to be considered "borrowed" from ultraman.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:56 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:So now I'm really intrigued on what those white hexagonal boxes are. Since there's so many of them, they're probably not the MAGI system; but from the looks of the platform, it looks like the boxes can just slide onto the platform in front of Misato and Ritsuko.

I believe this has to do with what Reichu supposes in “3+1 Trailer #3 Thoughts, Pt. 2: Magi Matters” article on her site.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:01 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I don't really take UYCTM as a reliable canon source for Rebuild since it's also full of NGE symbolism, I see it as a mood piece that encapsulates the franchise as a whole in poetic way. The snowy part could be tease that there will be scenes involving snow in Shin, but that's kind of it for me.

Exactly. We've seen so little outside of Tokyo-III in the Rebuild so far, things may be different in the other sides of the world.

EDIT:
Dunno whether to put this on social media or trailer thread but considering it's also a part of the new materials we get today, I'll just do it here.

Rei is also smiling! :w00t:

Isn't that Sohryu's hair colour though? LOOP THEORY CONFIRMED.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:45 am

Cool trailer, I think I understood absolutely nothing I saw, but neat nonetheless. I'm still hoping for more focus on Rei and less on Mari and the rest of the new characters, but we'll see how it goes.

Not much to say about the 2D animation, it looks good, but they didn't show much of it. I'm assuming it'll look much like the previous Rebuilds, so good looking, and with nice sakuga moments to chew on, but nothing out of this world.
And about the CG, yeah, it exists. Frankly I found the fact that they used CG on the scene of Asuka and Mari floating just atrocious. CG on characters is just, :facepalm: It looks bad even on distance, never mind when it's right on my face. To me the fancy camera angles and stuff don't really justify half of the movie looking like it's made out of bad plastic.

That said, I expect that once I'm actually watching it the CG will bother me much less. Not going to lie, I really want to watch this now. I've been able to contain the hype because it's been taking so long, but I can almost taste it now.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:49 am

Eva 01 has the Spear of Cassius while unit 13 has that of Longinus, maybe Shinji and whoever is (be it a he or a she) who is fighting are fighting over control of both spears. I begin to believe that that girl with short hair is Asuka maybe healed after Shinji manages to reach a higher and more controlled divine state than the one he reached in 2.0 (purple eyes really know a lot of a better power up) presumably succeeds has reverse the effects of Instrumentality with the 2 spears. Snow image is the result of this (let's think back to the ending of the Manga for a second). I guess Shinji makes the decision to go into exile himself in order to get to know the world a little more as Mari suggested in 3.0, and that shot of that girl with short hair is just Asuka reacting to Shinji's final speech.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”