Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:16 am

Now i realized, we're all discussing lore and stuff like that, but what about the animation and style? What do you think about it? Does it seems consistent? Is the CGI good?
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:19 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:Now i realized, we're all discussing lore and stuff like that, but what about the animation and style? What do you think about it? Does it seems consistent? Is the CGI good?

Yes.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:21 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
Good thing about animation is they can move and paste the characters against any background.

Oh man I gotta check that out right now.

Another thought about the trailers: I'm thinking the white plug suits are the "SPACE SUITS" that were hinted at in trailer 2 (the one from july 2019).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:22 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:Now i realized, we're all discussing lore and stuff like that, but what about the animation and style? What do you think about it? Does it seems consistent? Is the CGI good?

I thought the animation of the fight between Unit 01 and 13 was horrendous.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:23 am

Like I said i like all the dynamic shots/ unusual angles, all very 3D

And a lot of nifty detail too, look at mini Asuka's hat 6 scarf, the raindrops on the piano or the FOI hand!
Last edited by Kendrix on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:25 am

The animation itself looks gorgeous, the CGI looks okay, definitely better than the weirdness in 3.0. I'm still worried they might have had to cut or simplify things a lot for this movie, not just because of corona.

Yo. Lilith-Rei in 3.0 has purple eyes. Someone posted this on a discord:

Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:25 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:

They met as kids but lost their memories.

Well, if that's the case, this was Final Fantasy 8 the entire time.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:26 am

It will probably be a visual masterpiece, just what these people have us used to. CG looks different from the 2D counterparts, but it looks good.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:28 am

Animation looks great. Very intrigued to see the change up in style action in regards to how they’re handling shot composition and camera movement.

1.0 stuck very close to NGE’s mood and framing so in the action scenes the camera was static and when it did move was mostly in “dollies” moving horizontally.
In 2.0 they started to get more energetic and the action scenes started to move more and did a lot of traditional anime tricks like fast in push ins or pull backs.
In 3.0, besides changing up the aspect ratio the action scenes also pushed chaos a lot more with a lot of the action being covered in tighter shots. The camera over a lot and the characters did too but a lot of it was covered very closely.

From what we’ve seen of 3.0+1.0 in the trailers and the Paris set piece they’ve really pulled out the A game for pure cinematic effectiveness in the final film. There appear to be LOTS of intricate camera moves - swooping in and around Mari in Paris, the two Evas fighting in daylight, etc - BUT everything is smooth and controlled with a strong sense of how to handle audience focus. Wonder if our friend Anno, like myself and every other filmmaker alive, has spent the past few years studying George Miller’s direction on the action scenes in MAD MAX: FURY ROAD.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:30 am

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:I thought the animation of the fight between Unit 01 and 13 was horrendous.

Although I love Eva very much, I simply cannot disagree. It seems and looks very much like that Eva 8+2 preview at the end of Q with unfinished CGI, very tokusatsu like (totally not a bad thing, Eoe has the same vibes) and probably utilized the same new creation technique with motion capturing stuntmen.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:30 am

https://youtu.be/-CEjqATcPAg
The setting of the third shot here looks familiar now.

EDIT:
When Asuka and Mari fall into the Door of Guf here in trailer 3, those white dots...are those the Eva units they shoot at in trailer 4?
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:31 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Wonder if our friend Anno, like yes;f and every filmmaker alive, has spent the past few years studying George Miller’s direction on the action scenes in MAD MAX: FURY ROAD.

Ah, that was SUCH a good film

Again my impression of the purple EVA fight it's that it's very "barbarian like", organic human motions, spears, not the explosion heavy fights from earlier

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:36 am

The CGI in the scene where Mari and Asuka are in zero G looks fine, I think. The problem is that they didn't draw over Mari's rendered face which makes the CGI that much more obvious.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:40 am

Also, did anyone see Asuka plug in the new Eva Unit 2 design? Very, VERY exposed and even Tunniel like. Maybe the new design is more fragile than it looks, the MP Evas must be happy.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:48 am

Maybe years from know they might get CG right, but they're so far away from other animation studios that specialize in it.

Wonder why they left out Maeda as one of the directors until now. Very much looking forward to seeing his part of the movie.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:50 am

I think the overarching theme of this movie will be Wille/Lilith/Reality fighting against Neo-NERV/Adam/Escapism. This is already something people like to analyze the Terminal Dogma fight in 3.0 as, and it makes a lot of sense thematically of course, though this still mostly uses NGE as a thematic basis, and we're not sure how different of a path NTE is taking.

This reminds me of the theory that Qworu was a separate Kaworu. Notice Kaworu in the movie poster has a white belt, but Qworu still had a brown belt. I don't remember if he was wearing the school uniform in 2.0. Not sure about the haircut, though...
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:54 am

I won't judge right away whether it looks bad or not since we've only seen 3 seconds of it but the CG in 01v13 looks a bit off, yeah. The movements are too human-like which made it look unnatural. But everything else we've seen from the film like AVANT1's Unit-08 action scenes, N-02's descent into the unknown in the second teaser and gunning down the MP Evas, along with Dark Wunder's emergence from the barrier(?) look pretty cool, I even kinda dig the uncanniness in AsuMari's Zero-G scene.

EDIT:
I slowed down Ritsuko's screaming part a bit and based on the mouth movements, looks like she was screaming "Misato!". We do know that Misato will be present in the Red Background scene and will even bleed at some point, coupled with the hole in Gendo's visor, maybe there's be a gunfight?
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:59 am

Personally, I think the "human like" movements in the purple EVA fight are a definite plus.
The way EVA 13 rises with the spear in it also has something of a stalking animal

If i had to criticize something it would be how samey/insufficiently creepy the enemy EVA look

I'd like to note that if the uniform scene really turns out to be a vertigo-like moment on Shinji's part I might find it very hard to forgive him. That would be the worst, vilest possible thing you could do to Rei and it would be particularly awful coming from the one person who saw her as just her/ told her she was irreplaceable, not to mention that it would be tantamount to treating ReiQ exactly like Gendo treated OG Rei
Last edited by Kendrix on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:00 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:I won't judge right away whether it looks bad or not since we've only seen 3 seconds of it but the CG in 01v13 looks a bit off, yeah. The movements are too human-like which made it look unnatural. But everything else we've seen from the film like AVANT1's Unit-08 action scenes, N-02's descent into the unknown in the second teaser and gunning down the MP Evas, along with Dark Wunder's emergence from the barrier(?) look pretty cool, I even kinda dig the uncanniness in AsuMari's Zero-G scene.

I guess they're using the same very realistic tokusatsu like methods they did with the Eva 8+2 vs MPEva fight at the end of Q, anyway, considering Evangelion maybe making it uncanny was actually a deliberate decision.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:04 am

Yeah, it's definitely a delibrate choice but I can't lie that my immediate reaction was closer to "eh?" than "whoa!" when I saw it for the first time, but I'll wait until I've seen the full scene to see whether the whole humanlike movements and mocap thingy work or not!
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”