Unit-00's eye(s)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Unit-00's eye(s)

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:07 pm

So, upon perusal of the wiki, I found this.
UrsusArctos wrote:Wow, Eva-00 does have two eyes! Fufufu.

So, since we know it has two eyes, I thought of something interesting. What if the one big "eye" that we see is feeding input into two more Unit 01-ish eyes? The movement of 00's eye is very mechanical, implying that it may not be a biological component. It's part of the helmet. Unit-01's eyes are concealed by the headgear, as we see when it falls off after the Sachiel battle. Maybe 00 really does have two eyes and the big mechanical thing is just feeding data. Thoughts?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Unit-00's eye(s)

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:39 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Maybe 00 really does have two eyes and the big mechanical thing is just feeding data. Thoughts?

That sounds like a good natural assumption, yes.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:17 pm

The mechanism must be some sort of optical lens, either feeding information directly to the pilot's display, or to the Eva itself. I find it very unlikely that Unit-00 two eyes could be squeezed into that minuscule area.

On a related note, are there any monitor displays for the other Evangelions showing similar data? Specifically one for Unit-02, displaying information for her four eyes?
"What the hell is this?" - Shinji Ikari

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:47 pm

It should be noted that Zerogōki was initially equiped with 5 camera lenses:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 pm

It appears that Unit Zero has a complex visual system and sensor package and the other Evas just stick lenses right over their biological eyes. I love how that invites speculation.

Maybe the Eva keeps trying to "heal" the places where the sensors and cameras are wired into its brain, so they dropped it on the production models?

Then again, the MPEs don't even appear to have eyes. Maybe they use radar.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Electreel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Electreel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:17 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Maybe they use radar.

Or some supernatural sense as the semi-divine beings they are :harpy_liplick:

On a more serious note, it seems that the Evas are equiped with camera lenses only for piloting purposes. Since the hurriedly manufactured MP Evas were never intended to be piloted they lack many of the characteristic features of piloted Evas, such as lenses and a proper armor, meaning they could probably have eyes...(?)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:38 pm

Maybe they can see Asuka's soul. That's why they're so licky. They're soul lickers.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:13 pm

That huge "eye" is probably a fisheye lens, designed to broaden the Eva's field of view. Eva-00's head doesn't look all that narrow, it's just the helmet design that shrinks down the faceplate to a very small size. Why is Eva-00 given a cyclops face when the other Evas all have their original eye pairs beats me. I guess they were trying to hide the Eva's true appearance, and then decided that this was too tacky an arrangement and chose to leave the eyes mostly exposed and focus on style and gaudy color schemes to hide the appearance of the thing underneath.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 pm

I think experimenting with different sensor packages and camera systems is a little more compelling than Nerv trying to make the Evas look cool. :p

It is a prototype, after all. They'd want to experiment with it and see what works best.
the prophecy is true

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 pm

Of course they'd experiment with the prototype, but that's the only explanation I have for why the eyes and jaw in this Eva are completely hidden. Even Eva-02 had moving eye plates and it obviously had four eyes! With this Eva we had to look at a blink-and-you-miss-it listing to see that it had two eyes inside that helmet.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 pm

Maybe Evas have bad breath.
the prophecy is true

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Unit-00 is just having a hard time expressing itself, she just wants to be different from the other Evas. She did end up changing her outfit in the first third of the series, and boy did that colour coordinations and those shoulder pylons work wonders!
Last edited by Stratomeister on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Either that, or the entire listing is a result of questionable production values. (The discussion quote was made by me in December 2007. It's old.) Also notice that Eva-00, the only Eva that has the listing, seems to have human male genitalia and no core, which is weird. If Eva-00 has some completely different sort of ocular arrangement under the helmet, it wouldn't be too surprising. (Yeah, I just read through the entire discussion and realized just how wonky it sounds in context. Plus, we now have Eva-08 and Mark.09, so multi-eyed Evas are still a possibility.)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 pm

I don't want to know what the genitals are for.
the prophecy is true

Stratomeister
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stratomeister » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:52 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Either that, or the entire listing is a result of questionable production values.

Wouldn't be surprising considering the subject in question. Some things just seems to fall part when held up to the light after all.
I don't want to know what the genitals are for.

And some things are better left to the imagination.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:11 am

can we tone down the goofy one-liners, please? This is discussion, not chit-chat or off-topic.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

di0shi
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby di0shi » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:56 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:...Eva-00, the only Eva that has the listing, seems to have human male genitalia...

I made an entire account just so I could comment on this. What? Where does it say that 00 has human male genitals? We know from the scene where she goes berserk that she has "L eye / R eye" (another user mentioned this image https://i.imgur.com/r089ejT.png ) but I've never heard of her having genitals.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:24 pm

I confess I always thought 00 had one eye but with possible chameleon movement range. Which made sense to me as Rei is deeply methodical and all about the detail.

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:28 pm

I see basically 2 explanations:

a) They just copied a list of organs from somewhere and didn't screen it further, ie, this is unintentional. Then again, while you could imagine a bunch of animators not knowing about obscure glands, you'd think they would have caught the eyes.

b) It's the prototype, we've seen that they had difficulty getting the EVAs into a proper humanoid shape, we've seen the misshapen limbs of the discarded prototypes, the next to the random number of eyes...
Maybe it wasn't supposed to grow those glands but the genes just got expressed.

Actually, you have all the genes for making both man and woman parts, what decides which you grow is a signal cascade started by a single gene on the Y chromosome. You can grow eggs from male stem cells and sperm from female ones (though sperm from reprogrammed woman cells would beget only daughters cause there is no Y chromosome) So it's probably a cell programming error.

Likewise, the second eye might be tiny and vestigial.
So without the helmet, zerogokis face looks like this:
".O"

Also the "unit zero" Fuyutsuki is shown in ep 21 is probably a different prototype that ended up on the EVA graveyard
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

UrsusArctos

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:48 am

View Original Postdi0shi wrote:I made an entire account just so I could comment on this. What? Where does it say that 00 has human male genitals?

While we don't have a gif of the entire listing (the one in that screenshot) scrolling down, someone went to the effort of putting together the full listing seen there. Do read the little note on the bottom of the article regarding the male glands, which are the last two we see on the list.
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:Eva ... al_Listing

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”