EVANGELION:3.333 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Asuka and Mari's new plugsuit may actually be hinting at "3.33 Director's Cut"

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:29 pm

I mean I don't think it's particularly important. But it goes together with speculation about other edits and such. We have the precedent of NGE DC.
I guess this just means nothing major has changed.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Asuka and Mari's new plugsuit may actually be hinting at "3.33 Director's Cut"

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:35 pm

I think we will have to wait for about half a year to have some answers, probably around the time Shin will be coming to home video.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:42 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I think we will have to wait for about half a year to have some answers, probably around the time Shin will be coming to home video.

Or even before, when Shin comes out.
If the plugs are different from the beginning, we'll have our answer.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:29 pm

If there is going to be a director's cut box set of all the rebuilds at the end like what they did with eps 21 to 24/ the extra scenes in Death, the top of my wishlist would include "Kaworu talks with Rei, any Rei" and whatever that "favorite Misato scene" was that got cut from 2.0...
Last edited by Kendrix on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:30 pm

Would I be surprised if we don't see the new colorings on the plugsuits until the final Rebuild boxset OR Khara does a future REVIVAL OF EVANGELION type cut where You Can (Not) Redo & [i]Thrice Upon A Time[/i] are edited together into one 220 minute + single epic?

No. No I would not.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:47 pm

This remains a mystery, but it seems 3.33 really is unchanged as of now. Which I like honestly. Keeps things simple. I like knowing I can just jump into the last film.

Source here is the same person Joseki linked to in the first post of this topic, who kindly answered my question.

Last edited by kuribo-04 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Good, I already suspected that nothing was changed. The silence was pretty suspicious.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:05 pm

∆ Honestly I thought it's something khara would openly comment on after release, sort of like when a trailer comes out and they wait some hours. But in the end, the silence really was due to it being nothing.

But it also makes the whole thing more mysterious. Why was this included in that summary video? Hmmm.

It probably will end up being something pretty normal.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:42 am

All what I can say is this changes exists, but when it will released, I don’t know. If a DC edition is really planned, we’ll certainly have a big announcement from khara.

It only remains to wait and be patient. :sigh:

It could be that khara gave up on these changes and we’ll have an explanation during Shin Eva, maybe it’s some feature of this plugsuit? I think that would also be bad.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:38 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:It could be that khara gave up on these changes and we’ll have an explanation during Shin Eva, maybe it’s some feature of this plugsuit? I think that would also be bad.

That might be possible. Since that recap video was created before the pandemic, maybe one of the changes that Anno decided to make when COVID hit was to explain the plugsuit designs in-universe?

It could potentially be a scene where Asuka's plugsuit lost its integrity from going into Beast Mode, so she has to get a new one from her entry plug. If Shinji sees her, it could be a good character building moment for her, showing that she's beyond her "YOU STUPID PERVERT" phase.

It doesn't have to be a bad thing, I would certainly prefer it to making people double-dip on the 4K box set in order to fully understand the final movie.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Then Surprise!!! She has a DSS choker on too!

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:41 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Then Surprise!!! She has a DSS choker on too!

I've heard people predict that, but I don't think it makes sense. Ritsuko specifically says the choker is "a punishment," and a sign of their mistrust in Shinji. They don't explain why, but given the reveal later, and the stink-eyes everyone at Wille are giving him, it's probably because he caused Third Impact. I think an important part of 3.0 is that WILLE isn't entirely innocent: although their motives are noble, they mislead and lie to Shinji just as much as NERV. I think some of the retcons people are suggesting that completely absolve WILLE of all sins don't really make sense within the morally ambiguous context of 3.0.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:11 pm

^
The story Asuka owns a DSS Chocker comes from this illustration made by someone from khara:
@khara_inc2 on Twitter  SPOILER: Show

Look at her neck, apparently it’s a choker.

I agree with you that it’s strange for Asuka to have this “killer choker” too, since Shinji’s DSS Chocker is related to his sin, but in Asuka’s case, I think that choker does not have the same analogy, is just a device. In my view, the eye patch she wears represents her sin.

BTW, I guess we are going out of topic.

Edit: there is a thread about Asuka’s DSS Chocker

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:39 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I've heard people predict that, but I don't think it makes sense. Ritsuko specifically says the choker is "a punishment," and a sign of their mistrust in Shinji.

This assumes that Shinji is the only Eva Pilot Wille mistrust. Note that Asuka feels the need to "otherize" the rest of the Wille crew by referring to them as "Lillin." This suggests a rift between Asuka and Wille crew, including Misato, that didn't seem to be there back when Asuka and Misato were having that wholesome phone conversation while during Eva Unit 03's launch preparations. This apparent change in the relationship dynamic between Asuka and Misato could suggest that Asuka is mistrusted as well, due to her shared status with Shinji as an Evangelion pilot. (Insert "Curse of Eva" speculations here.)

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:54 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:This assumes that Shinji is the only Eva Pilot Wille mistrust. Note that Asuka feels the need to "otherize" the rest of the Wille crew by referring to them as "Lillin." This suggests a rift between Asuka and Wille crew, including Misato, that didn't seem to be there back when Asuka and Misato were having that wholesome phone conversation while during Eva Unit 03's launch preparations. This apparent change in the relationship dynamic between Asuka and Misato could suggest that Asuka is mistrusted as well, due to her shared status with Shinji as an Evangelion pilot. (Insert "Curse of Eva" speculations here.)

If that's the case, then Ritsuko could have easily just told Shinji "It's alright, every Eva pilot has to wear one of these things, it's nothing personal." But instead, her words clearly implied that it was a punishment for something that Shinji personally did. Maybe it's just an extension of the issue with how the WILLE people seem dedicated to alienating Shinji and making him feel like a war criminal, when he clearly doesn't know what is going on.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Because as Ritsuko says, it was a punishment for something Shinji personally did: the awakening of Eva 01 during Operation Us. In fact, that nicely explains why the conversation plays out the way it does:
Ritsuko: Yes, Unit 01 is currently being employed as this ship's main engine power core. Hence, no pilot is needed.

Shinji: I guess I'm really not needed...

Ritsuko: Also, the results of your deep synchronization test have come in. Your synchronization rate was 0.00%. Even if you boarded the Eva, it wouldn't activate.

Sakura: Oh, that's great. Isn't that wonderful, Ikari-san?

Ritsuko: That said, we cannot ignore that you recently had Unit 01 awakened for 12 seconds. For this reason, you have been fitted with a DSS Choker.

Wille had no intention of letting him pilot any of their Evas, and have no Eva he is needed to or able to pilot, so normally he would not need to be fitted with a DSS Choker as he is not a pilot, but they do anyway because of Eva 01's earlier awakening and the threat it represents.

We also have Yamashita art of Mari and Asuka wearing chokers dating back to 2010:
SPOILER: Show
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:42 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:If that's the case, then Ritsuko could have easily just told Shinji "It's alright, every Eva pilot has to wear one of these things, it's nothing personal."

No she wouldn't. Different people can be mistrusted for different reasons, despite the same measures being used to those people under check. As for Shinji's DSS Choker, I agree that Ritsuko placed it on Shinji for the reasons she stated. However, I wouldn't interpret what Ritsuko says in quite a strict fashion. She's not listing the reasons behind the creation of the DSS Choker itself, but rather she is stating the reasons why it is being placed on Shinji specifically. When a judge sentences someone to 10 years in prison, he is not revealing that the purpose behind prisons was to jail that specific person. Rather, the judge is simply explaining the reasons why he is sentencing that specific person to prison. The same applies with Ritsuko's statement. We have evidence of this later on in the film when Kaworu says that the DSS Choker around Shinji's neck was also built for him. All this to say that there is a lot of confusion in the film as to exact purpose of the DSS Choker around Shinji's neck if Ritsuko's line is read by the viewer in the strictest possible sense. In order for both statements in Eva Q to make sense, the two thoughts cannot be seen as mutually exclusive by the viewer. Both have to be true in this regard, and interpreting Ritsuko's statement as a reason to restrain Shinji (instead of the sole purpose of the DSS Choker as a device) makes those two statements simultaneously accurate in nature. The specific reasoning behind Kaworu's statement could be rationalized in a variety of ways. Kaworu could be referring to himself as an Eva Pilot as well when he says the DSS Choker was "built for [him]", thereby equating the use of Shinji's DSS Choker to himself. Or Kaworu could be equating his status as an "Impact Trigger" with Shinji's equal status as an "Impact Trigger." Or, it could be that Kaworu is under the assumption that the DSS Choker was built for him specifically (in reference to his stance as an angel, or as "Seele's Boy," or as whatever), but Wille placed on Shinji instead because the need for that corse of action was more urgent at the time. (It certainly can't be because Kaworu also cased an Awakening in Eva Unit 01. He had nothing to do with that.) Regardless of the reasoning, if the purpose of the DSS Choker as a whole isn't strict, but is instead revealed be flexible and/or multi-faceted as is revealed in Shinji's story, then I see no reason to exclude that flexible/multi-faceted purpose means of controlling other people from cases similar to Shinji's; namely, the cases of the other Evangelion pilots Asuka and Mari.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

I don't have an in-depth speculation about whether or not the other Eva pilots (aside from ReiQ) wore the chokers, but everyone has a good reason to be scared of them. Aside from Shinji being a prove that a pilot can trigger an Impact, the remaining three pilots aren't also "normal" by any means.

Asuka was infected by an angel in Eva-03, Mari was shown to be able to mysteriously activate Eva-02's Beast Mode and therefore have gone past the limits of a normal human, and Kaworu, well... The dude came from the Moon! I can imagine both Mari and Kaworu were detained and have the chokers being put on them by NERV or another party (probably the military) as soon as the NTI ends for being potentially dangerous individuals, while for Asuka it would be a preventive move in case she starts showing signs of inhumanity.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:09 am

I don't really get what you're saying there, FreakyFilmFan, it seems like splitting hairs to me. I understand that the choker wasn't specifically built for Shinji, with the implication that it might have been intended to be used on Kaworu if they captured him. But if they really were keeping chokers on every single pilot, I don't understand why they wouldn't just tell him that. It would probably make him a lot less distraught knowing that he's not the only one being punished like this.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:37 am

To put it more simply, Ritsuko was simply stating why Shinji was placed in a DDS Choker. Her stating why Shinji was placed in a DDS Choker doesn't negate the possibility for there being other reasons as to why other people would be placed in DDS Chokers. Likewise, she wouldn't tell Shinji why others may or may not be wearing similar chokers, because why would she? Being placed in a choker is like having a jail sentence placed upon one's self: You don't need to be told why others have also been sentenced to jail during your own sentencing. Instead, you would simply ask your cellmates what they're in for. (To "learn how the world works," as Mari put it in her final line of Eva Q.)

To be perfectly clear, the whole issue with other pilots wearing DDS Chokers isn't a hill I'm willing to die on, as much of it is based on circumstantial evidence. I just think it's extremely plausible given those circumstances. I know there's art from official sources (though technically not any released "official art" per sé, within terms of official storyboards, approved costume designs, and whatnot) that depict both Asuka and Mari wearing DDS Chokers, but I always hold those types of evidences at arm's length until it's properly depicted in the film itself. Either way, there's way more going for this theory than there is for other speculations made about the possible revelations in the upcoming Shin Eva film.

Edit: A better comparison to Shinji being placed in a DDS Choker in Eva Q would Gendo placing Shinji in handcuffs in Eva Ha. Both Gendo and Ritsuko give a formal explanation as to why Shinji specifically is being restrained in both instances. This formal explanation wouldn't need to (and probably shouldn't) reference other people who have been restrained in similar fashion under different circumstances. Therefore citing Ritsuko's line explaining the reasoning behind Shinji being restrained with a DDS Choker is a completely moot point to make when trying to argue against the idea of other pilots also wearing DDS Chokers.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”