Announcement regarding recent forum changes

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Re: Announcement regarding recent forum changes

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Didn't add smileys to locked subforums on purpose, because there seemed no point in decorating something that's defunct.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: one would have hoped that such a thing might be widely available by now.

Or perhaps the sarcasm detector didn't work. :lol:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:21 am

While we're tidying things up, in preparation for the avalanche of spoiler-worthy material incoming with 3.0 + 1.0, you'll see a new button on the posting page, "hide", which does a simple in-line spoiler.

Click to reveal the secret -> double-click to hide it again
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:01 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:While we're tidying things up, in preparation for the avalanche of spoiler-worthy material incoming with 3.0 + 1.0, you'll see a new button on the posting page, "hide", which does a simple in-line spoiler.

You can actually read under the black bar when quoting this post

When double clicking to hide, at least on Firefox, you also select the text under it making it visible

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:While we're tidying things up, in preparation for the avalanche of spoiler-worthy material incoming with 3.0 + 1.0, you'll see a new button on the posting page, "hide", which does a simple in-line spoiler.

Test
Last edited by Joseki on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:11 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:You can actually read under the black bar when quoting this post

That's from the preview window, isn't it? Besides, if you're quoting the post, you get a look at what's under the spoiler or hide tags by default, it's all exposed in your reply form! Common sense would be to avoid quoting the hidden/spoiler section of a post if you don't want to be spoiled. The tags come into effect and work perfectly well again once you're done posting.

Yes, that's a browser feature and nothing on our end. You do need to click elsewhere to hide the highlighting once that's done.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:23 am

Being able to read the spoiler tags in quote boxes isn't great for people just reading other quoted posts, but the opacity is such that it's not easy to do at a glance.

I should specify that I use Safari on Mac OS, and I cannot read the text in either the original posts or the quote boxes unless it's clicked on. This might be another browser specific issue?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:26 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:That's from the preview window, isn't it? Besides, if you're quoting the post, you get a look at what's under the spoiler or hide tags by default, it's all exposed in your reply form! Common sense would be to avoid quoting the hidden/spoiler section of a post if you don't want to be spoiled. The tags come into effect and work perfectly well again once you're done posting.

The problem is more for users reading quoted posts, not for the people quoting the posts.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Being able to read the spoiler tags in quote boxes isn't great for people just reading other quoted posts, but the opacity is such that it's not easy to do at a glance.

I should specify that I use Safari on Mac OS, and I cannot read the text in either the original posts or the quote boxes unless it's clicked on. This might be another browser specific issue?

Maybe it's because I have a very good monitor, but on my end it's really easily readable.
Last edited by Joseki on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:29 am

That's weird. I do not seem to have this issue with Safari on Mac OS.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:33 am

Yeah I now tried, it's readable in the preview box but not when actually quoting. ^_^

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:You can actually read under the black bar when quoting this post

Not happening to me.
When double clicking to hide, at least on Firefox, you also select the text under it making it visible

Same on chrome. But as Ursus said, it's browser feature. There's actually nothing they can do.

I highly appreciate this new feature. Was thinking for something like this for a long time as i don't want any spoiler at all.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:34 am

I can see the text only on the "post reply" page (a particularity with CSS on this page) - like Ursus apointed. It's occour because the text color hex value is #000000 (black), while the background color is #333333 (dark gray), so that's not a monitor.
If the issue remains only on the page we wrote the post, I think it will not be a problem.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:26 am

Interesting, I didn't realize that the preview window had a text color hex value of #000000. The reason that #333333 was chosen is because the posted text has that hex value, and placing a background of #000000 in one of the hide tag experiments caused the spoilers to be visible as grey text over black. Funny.

By the way, cyharding aka Our Man in Tokyo-3 has volunteered to join our mod staff in preparation for 3.0 + 1.0. Congratulations!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:30 am

Woohoo! cyharding!

:woohoo:

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Cool! Might I ask if he's actually living in Tokyo?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:32 pm

Unfortunately no. I chose that title as a cheeky reference to a pretty famous novel. Sorry if I confused you.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:33 pm

That's fine. I thought it referred to Our Man in Tehran, actually.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:08 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Unfortunately no. I chose that title as a cheeky reference to a pretty famous novel. Sorry if I confused you.

I *finally* understood the reference this time around, and found it hilarious. :hahaha:

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:23 pm

A little more site news. Silvermoonlight has been elevated from the committee to moderator status, and upstanding long-time EGF member Gendo'sPapa has joined the committee.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Congratulations, everyone! :shinjismile:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:20 pm

The Eva Monkey is no longer a part of our site staff due to recent events.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Can I ask what events?

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”