Who will being seeing 3.0+1.0 in Japan?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
intermediateO
Lilith

Who will being seeing 3.0+1.0 in Japan?

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm currently living in Tokyo and will be seeing Shin Eva when it comes out in January.

So who else here is in a similar position?
I believe there are at least 1 or 2 other forum members in Japan?

Mainly asking cause I thought it might be nice to have a heads up to which forum members others can keep an eye on if they want details and spoilers as soon as the movie releases.

(Honestly, I will probably see the film twice in a row before I come back online to give deets. It would be great though if they have the Wald 9 in Shinjuku do midnight screenings until morning like they did with 3.0. It's also where they revealed 3.0's release date, and I also got to see Anno myself there for his tokusatsu talk he did a couple years back, so the place definitely has good Eva juju to me. I'd love it if it was basically Ground Zero for the end of Rebuild.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Who will being seeing 3.0+1.0 in Japan?

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:20 pm

Sigh... I wish. I originally had planned to visit Japan this summer - my first time - and catch the film. This is the first time I've ever had the finances to plan big trips and my summer was going to be a real world hopping tour. I had the flights and itinerary selected.
But I live in the US sooooooo that's out for the immediate future.

Maybe another year.

Have fun! I am very envious.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 pm

I too will be going to the premiere (in Tokyo). Ideally, twice if time permits.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:32 am

Hit us up with those spoilers ASAP.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 am

I'm a baka-gaijin living outside Japan so I won't be able to visit the country anytime soon. I was gonna do in the summer in the pre-covid times.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:56 am

Lupin III: The First got some State side screen time this year, even in the middle of a pandemic. Hopefully the same happens with Shin Eva, so I can fret and worry over whether or not I can risk watching it in theaters.

But a trip to Japan is not happening for me.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm

and I also got to see Anno myself

How does it feel to see God in the flesh?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:47 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:Hit us up with those spoilers ASAP.

I'll try my best (・ω -)ノ

View Original PostPluto wrote:I too will be going to the premiere (in Tokyo). Ideally, twice if time permits.

Nice to know I'm not alone.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:How does it feel to see God in the flesh?

I'm really into going to live talk events and so was pretty accustomed to them already, and I had already seen plenty of Anno interviews online, so there was surprisingly little hype on my end.

I do remember that the moderator was the one speaking like 60% of the time though. Anno would mainly only respond to the moderator's comments or questions.
I was actually super bummed when they played the opening to Gerry Anderson's UFO tv series and Anno was practically silent. He wasn't like that for any of the other clips, and it was like the one thing I was really looking forward to his reaction on, so his silence has always stood out to me. Idk if he wanted to avoid talking about how much he practically ripped it off for Eva's opening or what. He had no problem nerding out about Thunderbirds' launch sequence clips though, probably because that stuff has basically just become part of the cinematic language for military sci-fi stuff.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:29 am

So can you understand Japanese then? Or you gonna watch it without knowing what’s being said?

[twitter][/twitter]
View Original PostintermediateO wrote:I'm currently living in Tokyo and will be seeing Shin Eva when it comes out in January.

So who else here is in a similar position?
I believe there are at least 1 or 2 other forum members in Japan?

Mainly asking cause I thought it might be nice to have a heads up to which forum members others can keep an eye on if they want details and spoilers as soon as the movie releases.

(Honestly, I will probably see the film twice in a row before I come back online to give deets. It would be great though if they have the Wald 9 in Shinjuku do midnight screenings until morning like they did with 3.0. It's also where they revealed 3.0's release date, and I also got to see Anno myself there for his tokusatsu talk he did a couple years back, so the place definitely has good Eva juju to me. I'd love it if it was basically Ground Zero for the end of Rebuild.)

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:19 pm

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:So can you understand Japanese then? Or you gonna watch it without knowing what’s being said?

I'm fluent in Japanese, BUT, technobabble-y and word soupy anime is just the worst sometimes. People are still arguing about lines from 3.0, so fingers crossed that any new stuff gets explained in the film itself this time.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 pm

A bunch of forum members, including translators, were planning to go to Tokyo for Shin's release. Some people even had flights already booked months in advance, before Covid hit, everything got canceled and Shin itself postponed. One translator and mod lost a job position there just before he could move to Japan again, also thanks to Covid. I'm not sure how things will stand now. Travel to Japan is still mostly barred as of now, and with Covid cases spiking again there, they might take a while to open fully to tourists again. So there are a lot of things that can go wrong, not to mention people's own possible lack of availability. Some people are suggesting the movie might even be postponed again.

Cases are still spiking. More so than in August, with a new record today, and there seems to be no stabilization in sight. This might not necessarily mean theaters closing down and a postponement, but it might mean the travel ban won't go away.

https://covid19japan.com/

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:20 am

Surely if they MUST postpone it again in Japan it will get to the point where they will have to put it PPV for people to watch at home??? You can’t just keep putting it back and putting back and let it sit there gathering dust, if it was only 3 years after 3.0 yes ok it could sit there and gather dust but after 8 years.....

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:46 am

Well if they postponed it, it would probably still come out 2021, and wouldn't get postponed that much. Since things might, hopefully , get better at some point in 2021.

I just hope the BD has a set date (despite us not knowing about it).
Most likely it would be pushed back with a cinema delay too though.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 am

BD release usually depends on how long it stays on cinemas, Haruhi movie and Your Name were especially long with nearly a year-long wait, I think the same goes to 2.22 (although this might be because of more work for the new scenes).

I also remember reading that 3.33's release (6 months, I think?) was particularly fast because it's a part of the plan, back when Shin was still planned for 2013 so they want it to come out as soon as possible. At this point it's impossible to guess, with a January release it could be in July-August 2021 the soonest or early 2022 the longest.

PPV practice is very vulnerable to piracy and unlike Hollywood that just kinda rolls with it, we know Japan really hates it. Plus a worldwide Netflix release poses a problem for international cinema and home video release deals, so I don't think it's something we can hope to happen now.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:12 am

∆ July/August is what I hope for. :tongue:

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Seriously, if Covid still runs rampant and Khara can't get 3.0 +1.0 to screen in theatres, just stream the damned thing for a small fee.
I watch and speculate.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:29 am

for a small fee.

That's impossible lol. They have to make their money back.

I'd pay anything honestly.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 am

They'd face the same problem with streaming anything else these days. Regardless of how much it would cost per stream, there's nothing stopping people from packing a living room full and just splitting the cost, COVID guidelines be damned.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:54 pm

Another major hurdle is anime fans are infamous for being a group that is the quickest to torrent anything if a show or movie isn't immediately available to them.

writer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:39 pm

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Seriously, if Covid still runs rampant and Khara can't get 3.0 +1.0 to screen in theatres, just stream the damned thing for a small fee.

I would pay full price for a ticket. I would pay DOUBLE for a ticket.
I WOULD PAY $50 FOR A TICKET.
Shinji did nothing wrong!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”