"Congratulations!" across 24 foreign dubs

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

GlassReality45
Embryo

"Congratulations!" across 24 foreign dubs

•      
  •      

Postby GlassReality45 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:47 am

I made a video showcasing the "Congratulations" scene across 24 different foreign dubs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hBPe1iD9dS4KUQSfIkO2OF7BSPbRQePk/view?usp=sharing

I put a lot of time into compiling and editing this and I hope you enjoy! Foreign dubs aren't something a lot of people put stock into but I think it can be really interesting hearing all the different interpretations of a scene. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to compile every dub here, but I added in every dub I could find. (If you know where to find a dub I'm missing, let me know!)

Edit:
Here's the scene in Cantonese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wokZjkpniew
There are two Cantonese dubs; I don't know which one this is.
Last edited by GlassReality45 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, I am no more or less than myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

Resident dub nerd. They/them pronouns, please.

IgRAzm
Adam

Re: "Congratulations!" across 24 foreign dubs

•      
  •      

Postby IgRAzm » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Good work!
I wonder why half of the dubs localized Pen-Pen.

GlassReality45
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GlassReality45 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm

A friend mentioned to me that it might've been because Pen-Pen's voice was on the dialogue track and not the SFX track, making it time-consuming and expensive to edit his Japanese voice back in in the age of analogue recording. It was probably just simpler to redub him.
That's just a theory, though, and I'll admit I don't know much about that facet of things. I will say, for whatever it's worth, that something similar happened with King, Nadia's pet lion in Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water, where he got redubbed in quite a few dubs.
"That's right, I am no more or less than myself! I am me! I want to be myself! I want to continue existing in this world! My life is worth living here!"

Resident dub nerd. They/them pronouns, please.

IgRAzm
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IgRAzm » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Okay then. I guess I expected something like that as an explaination.

Line
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:44 pm

This scene is just so wholesome and heart warming :heart: It's great to watch it to such so long extend!

Spike spencer and Casey Mongillo kinda have the same Shinji voice, don't they? I did'nt notice the difference until the name "Casey" showed up in the comment in another video :redface:

Aaaah, Donald Reignoux (French voice actor pretty known in France for a lot of his voices actings on cartoons and animes and stuff) was such a good Shinji :crush: It did fit Shinji sooo well! It would have been Shinji voice if he was French :D

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 am

Slightly off topic, but not worth a whole new thread (I've done a quick scan, but haven't found anyone posting this yet) --

What we'd been missing all these years -- Kaworu saying "Congratulations!"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”