Netflix Release General Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Netflix Release General Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:56 am

"This post does not exist."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:07 am

It did previously; it showed the frame where the Netflix subs say the terrorist attack was by leftwingers. The question is whether the use of that term has any basis. I've seen it discussed, but can't find it in the forum - so maybe in Discord?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:53 pm

I do vaguely recall a conversation about this on Discord - I'm not sure tho if it was our Discord
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:27 pm

It came up in the Evangelion part of the Discord on 27th June 2019. There was a quote (from a now-deleted tweet) which said: " I think the word as used in the script refers to a religious sect and is intended to evoke Aum Shinrikyo." Then there was a discussion which seemed to hover round someone saying that in 1995 in Japan the terms "leftist" and "terrorist" were seen as similar, so this translation is culturally appropriate. Then I got bored and stopped reading it, as the consensus appeared to be that it really didn't matter anyway...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Well that is some info. Thank you for sharing it. :)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:48 pm

So I'm a nerd that rewatched Episode 02 up on Khara's official Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imGBVWHM_Bs) and since it's the same as the Japanese Netflix/Bluray release (I'm assuming), the Fly Me to the Moon credits are there but a name in the Credits was censored? Their role was something to do with the CG, but why? I can't remember if Netflix uses the Japanese text in their release, or not. (So maybe the credits are censored there, too....)

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:13 pm

It should say "GAINAX SHOP", for what that's worth.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Ooh, interesting :ritsuko_mug: Related to their falling out situation, maybe?? Thanks so much for the quick reply!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:19 am

Wait, wasn’t there a corporate take over and now Groundworks or someone like that owns Gainax? I remember the initial falling out, but I forget what exactly happened after that.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:55 pm

I imagine it's more than just them falling out and not wanting to credit the other; I can very much imagine that there's actual legal reasons behind this. Then again, not a lawyer, so this is just speculation
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

george10
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby george10 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:07 pm

Is Fly me to the moon is still present in Netflix? I want to watch this. But when I tried to open Netflix, the error m7111-5059 occurred at that time. What should I do to fix that?

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:21 pm

Fly Me to the Moon is not present on the Netflix release. Also I just googled that error code and it seems to say you're using a VPN they have blacklisted.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:00 am

The italian dub is finally back after 12 months, they fixed it.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:10 am

I have been told that they only fixed the first episode and left all others untouched; can you confirm/deny that?
EDIT: Nevermind it was you who said it on discord :facepalm:

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Now that someone has already asked if there’s a consensus opinion about the new dub, is there a consensus on the new subtitles? I’ve heard some people saying that these subs are the most accurate ones yet, and others saying that they take too many liberties compared to the old ADV subs. Which statement is more accurate?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 pm

Definitely the former. Khara in-house staff played a significant role in creating them, so they are the definitive English version we have to date.

The people who claim the latter either have a bone to pick with the new subs, either for daring to not be what they grew up with or for opposing their headcanon on something, or are believing what these people say because they just don't know any better and the former talk like they have authority on it.

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that my wording on this was... less than stellar.
I am only talking about the original ADV subs in here; Platinum are still very good, and in certain aspects (such as the mystique around the angels in general and Adam in particular) a lot closer to the original Japanese than the new Netflix subs.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:05 am

A bit random but I was wondering if anyone else thinks the series has gotten a "Netflix Bump." I find a lot of stuff on Netflix gets popular just from being on Netflix. I've had people try to talk to me about Netflix Ultraman, Cowboy Bebop, Death Note and other things whether they're actually anime or anime adjacent because they know I like anime and they saw it on their home page and decided to watch it.

However, Netflix tends to push their originals way harder than most other things. The three I mentioned before were all Netflix originals; I don't hear people asking me if I watched the live-action Homunculus for example which is on Netflix and based on a manga. Although, they did push Eva TV pretty hard with the teaser for the release date and everything.

I bring this up because I went to a concert the other day and saw someone in an Evangelion hoodie. I pointed it out to the person I was with and to my surprise someone near us who seemed pretty "normie" said they watched it on Netflix and really liked it. The concert attendees were a little older, the band was Modest Mouse is that helps lol, but I was just curious if you've noticed Eva clothing, posters, or people talking about it near you as well. I know stores in the mall aimed at teens here in the US like Boxed Lunch, Hot Topic or Spencer's have Evangelion merchandise now as well.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:03 pm

It's a shame Netflix wasn't doing daily rankings of what people were watching on their service back in Summer 2019 because I def think NGE broke into the top 10 for at least a few days.

I don't know if there was anything like an immediate "Netflix Bump" when the series premiered on Netflix in 2019 but in the long run the series being easily available to watch made more people check it out. That combined with the release of Thrice Upon A Time - and the Rebuilds being easily available on Amazon Prime - certainly made Eva a more appealing watch for the casual person than it was five years ago when you'd have to pirate NGE or look for an overpriced ADV DVD on EBay and sign up to Crunchyroll or buy three Funimation Blu-rays to see 3/4s of a story.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”