Possible evidence that might lend to the Sequel Theory

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
n2eva
Embryo

Possible evidence that might lend to the Sequel Theory

•      
  •      

Postby n2eva » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:42 pm

The titles of the Rebuild films might lend to the sequel theory. The idea is that the new movies aren't a retelling of the TV series, but actually are sequels that follow The End of Evangelion finale. Shinji, as well as Asuka(?), chose to remain as individual human forms, but are effectively "half gods" as a result. The rebuilds are Shinji's new made reality that at least begin similarly to the events of the show. He wants to do things over again.

The titles of the new series might be evidence of this. When read with the word in parenthesis included, it's referring to the base / true reality seen at the end of End of Evangelion. When read without the highlighted word, it's referring to the state of Shinji's new fabricated reality and the possible personal growth potential in it.

Titles followed by a brief explanation of how they pertain to the base reality followed by how they relate to the new reality (read without parenthesis):

You Are (Not) Alone - Shinji isn't alone as Asuka is shown to be with him / As with the TV series, he's dealing with a great deal of loneliness

You Can (Not) Advance - He can't advance or grow more as a person, the way he is in the post Third Impact world / he can advance or achieve some personal growth in the loose repeat of the new reality

You Can (Not) Redo - In base reality, he can't redo or relive his experiences / He can relive this portion of his life as he wants to

The fact that the movies are called Rebuilds could be thought of as meaning Shinji's "rebuild" of reality. Maybe the third Rebuild title, Thrice Upon a Time, suggests that there'll be a yet another reset. That would be three realities - the base or true one, Shinji's reset, and another new reset.
"Oh, my god, no. Please! What is that? Don't tell me!"-- Jack Burton
"But if I were you, I'd leave the Doctor alone until after he's eaten breakfast. He's a very crude man."-- Raoul Duke

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Possible evidence that might lend to the Sequel Theory

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Unlikely. Unit-01/Yui was the one to achieve godhood in EoE, not Shinji. That, and the movie made a pretty big deal over the fact that escaping from reality Never actually solved the problems Shinji was facing, and it could only be achieved by facing reality (and by extension, other people). To have Shinji create a new reality after EoE would tell us that he hasn't really learned anything, which kinda undermines the film.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:07 pm

+1 to what Arcadia said. Anno has made it a pretty big point that escapism is a bad thing, and "Rebuild as a literal escape into another world" goes against every fibre of that.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:03 pm

There's no evidence, the stuff we see is written in the script by way of inspiration, an homage to the old story. There's nothing new to it, just an old man batting the vestiges of long departed ghosts.

The only continuation we see is that of the old personalities slowly fading, their journey continuing even when it's not them anymore. They're fragmented, damaged, arrogant, unintelligible, lacking, and only growing set in their ways.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”