Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:41 am

The bridge crew is synching with the Wunder? Really? How? If that's possible, does it mean Fuyutsuki could hypothetically also be synching with Mark. 10 or another NERV monstrosity?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:49 am

Nah, they're probably just wearing them as environmental hazard suits (as in the first 10 mins)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 am

They are entering a giant entry plug and retreat deeper into wunders core-regions. Seems like some form of synching to me.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:48 am

So, the “Plug Suits” in Avant 1 really just seem to act like sexy hazmat/space suits for treacherous Earth terrain in Paris. You’ll notice that nobody wore the suits unless they were outside.

A Renegade Deserter
Adam
Location: Back from exile to infiltrate and combat my mortal enemy

•      
  •      

Postby A Renegade Deserter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:That was the sense of my post: the plugsuit in that shot is the "new" one she's wearing in Final (which itself is a color swapped version of her red and white plugsuit from Q).
Symbolism aside, I wonder if there'll be an in-universe explanation for that change of color while they're still in the core wasteland, maybe part of the suit is made of a chemical that changes color if the L-Barrier density is too high, as a way to warn the pilots that even for them the place is too contaminated and that they should leave ASAP? Or maybe the suit is simply being turning to core material? Shinji and ReiQ's plugsuit not being affected because neo-NERV knows how to make materials more resistance to the L-Barrier? (or maybe theirs will be affected too and that will be a surprise for the movie?)

I wouldn’t be bothered if it would be out of funcionality that the Colors of Asuka and Maris Plugsuits got changed.
"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless."
- Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

"There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary."

"We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are."

"Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost."

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 pm

That is a hoist switch; specifically a pendant switch.
SPOILER: Show

The Hoist is probably used to collapse the bed and move heavy furniture within the room.
The concept artwork said something about modular furniture
SPOILER: Show
(look at bottom left)
Some users speculate that its used to move the entire room itself; I disagree, otherwise the button would be outside connected to a motor.

Also side note... Some of the pendants placement/utilization is a little... off.
For some reason its a water-proof hoist(I assume it is intended to be used in either a wet environment or used with a hydraulic motor) Typically they're not supposed to be mounted to a wall; but hanged from the ceiling. Note the two cables, one is electrical and the other is a tension support cable; preventing the electrical wire striping while hanging... Yet its mounted to a pole.
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm

https://twitter.com/eva_information/status/1317012850045431809?s=19

In the trailer, you could see that Asuka's cockpit says her Eva is now called N-Eva-02alpha. Turns out the N means New. There we have our Shin Eva.

Also I'm not sure we see the entire designation of Mari's Eva in her cockpit, but (part of) it seems to be Eva-08V-IR.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 pm

the Avant 08 was 08yICC, Improvised Combat Configuration; with naming schemes for Japanese military things in mind, my guess would be that the "I" in "IR..." stands for "Improved"
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks, Vel. I think we can safely assume their room is sort of isolation chamber, then. Also, a friend brought up the fact that Mari is *also* wearing her old plugsuit when she's waving. He has suggested these scenes actually took place in the timeskip, which might lend credence to option 1 I mentioned - you can't see Shinji inside the cube, but he's apparently there at *some* point, maybe chronologically later.

What if we do get some flashbacks? Most of you are familiar with the interpretation that the events shown in the 3.0 preview simply took place during the timeskip. It's unlikely, but maybe we'll see them in the next movie.

As for that tweet, I guess it does confirm that Asuka and Mari aren't piloting together after all, having separate Evas, *unless* they'll only pilot the same Eva later in the movie. We still didn't get confirmation that Unit 08+02 still exists

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Thanks, Vel. I think we can safely assume their room is sort of isolation chamber, then. Also, a friend brought up the fact that Mari is *also* wearing her old plugsuit when she's waving. He has suggested these scenes actually took place in the timeskip, which might lend credence to option 1 I mentioned - you can't see Shinji inside the cube, but he's apparently there at *some* point, maybe chronologically later.

What if we do get some flashbacks? Most of you are familiar with the interpretation that the events shown in the 3.0 preview simply took place during the timeskip. It's unlikely, but maybe we'll see them in the next movie.

I checked with the official illustration, and none of Mari's plugsuits have a black collar, they all have a pink collar with a dark blue border (and her green plugsuit from 2.0's opening has a green collar with a yellow border), and even the indentations of her collar doesn't correspond to any of her past plugsuits, so maybe it's a new outfit that she'll be wearing for a short time?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:52 pm

In celebration of a new release date -

This article aged better than it should of done....... :rolleyes: :w00t:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily- ... one/.80406

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:In the trailer, you could see that Asuka's cockpit says her Eva is now called N-Eva-02alpha. Turns out the N means New. There we have our Shin Eva.

Quite literally, too! Anno used N- in the same way in Nadia, in calling the "New Nautilus" the "N-Nautilus" so he's making a quiet Nadia reference too.

Blockio wrote:08yICC

The "y" is a lowercase Gamma, by the way.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:07 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Quite literally, too! Anno used N- in the same way in Nadia, in calling the "New Nautilus" the "N-Nautilus" so he's making a quiet Nadia reference too

That detail I had completely forgotten about.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:25 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Quite literally, too! Anno used N- in the same way in Nadia, in calling the "New Nautilus" the "N-Nautilus" so he's making a quiet Nadia reference too.

The "y" is a lowercase Gamma, by the way.

Logical, since the EVA-08 during Operation US was 08 alpha and the one with the WILLE armor in the battle in Terminal Dogma was beta. So what it says to us is that 08's configuration we see in the trailer is the actual finished post-battle of Terminal Dogma retrofit, and that EVA-02's configuration changed it so much that it's considered as an entirely new model. (which is logical, since only the head, right arm and like half a torso remains)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

writer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:16 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:EDIT after two people posted in the time it took to write this:
As for Rei - I just think that once they reach the Wunder, she will be thrown into solitary confinement for a while. She is still an enemy pilot that raided the damn thing the last time she paid a visit

I think it would be interesting if Rei was taken away after connecting with Shinji during the walk. In the shots we've seen, Asuka is far ahead, not trying to have conversations or discuss anything; her mind is on the mission. Shinji is depressed behind the group, and now we see ReiQ showing concern for him. Could a connection between the two, and really the only connection Shinji has had with anyone since 2.22, be what eventually leads Shinji to the final act? Could ReiQ start to develop a personality through her interactions during the walk which lead to the scene with Fuyutski showcasing the Rei clones and explaining to her that she's just a meatsuit?

"I am not a doll.

After reading through this thread, I have a few thoughts:
I have a feeling that they're gonna lock Shinji up and everyone is gonna try to do what they think needs to be done to end things; there will be a major battle between the WILLE and NERV that will eventually lead to everyone being defeated/killed; their plans will not come to fruition and they will lose all capability to change or effect anything. Shinji will be the only person left alive or capable, and based on the scene in this trailer where he looks up as if he realizes what he needs to do, he will get back into EVA01, transform the Wonder into a new Eva 01 and finally take some intentional steps toward a resolution (into Guf). We'll get a mindfuck scene while he's walking toward the final destination, similar to 25/26.

I also wonder if we'll get a scene where Asuka visits Shinji in his cell right before she leaves for her final encounter, knowing very well that she may not survive, or that there is no coming back from entrance into Guf. Perhaps this will be a moment where she'll finally tell Shinji how she feels, what he means to her, and what she wishes she could have done to show him before it was too late.

January cannot come soon enough!
Shinji did nothing wrong!

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:26 pm

This didn't hype me as much as i had hoped it would. I'm sure it will be a spectacle but i'm not that emotionally invested in these character if at all, (looking at you Mari) so seeing these teasers focusing on them is underwhelming for me. Also for the love of all that is holy why white plugsuits??? the 3.0 versions was just fine, hell even the revised version of those were ok too, these though, they just remind me of those dog ugly white RGB ram sticks.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Hm, Rei wore a white plugsuit too.
It's just new for these characters. Rebuild is trying to be as different and inventive as possible while still looking essentially Evangelion.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Don't like Reis white plugsuit either. There's franken-evas and a giant flying spaceship and giant teeth on the crust of the earth. I don't think the rebuild is lacking in difference. All these new plugsuits do is trigger the cynical part of me that says they're were made solely for the eventual figurines.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:12 pm

Well, you can make something for eventual figures and also be actually creatively invested in it. I also don't think wanting figures of your characters is exclusively a monetary thing. After all these khara people are probably all collectors themselves.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:16 am

View Original PostSettie wrote:All these new plugsuits do is trigger the cynical part of me that says they're were made solely for the eventual figurines.

Like you know, basically every mecha and magical girl anime does... But OK...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”