Evangelion Original English Dub Cast Reunion at Delta H Con 2019.

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Evangelion Original English Dub Cast Reunion at Delta H Con 2019.

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL68wSbvN4

Hour-long panel from last year. Grant, Spencer, Greenfield, Swaysey, Winn-Lee and (via skype) Keith-Shipp.

Amongst Things covered:
They all hate the Netflix Dub and the second 3.0 dub
Swaysey and Winn-Lee did get a call from Funi to reprise for Rebuild and there were scheduling conflicts.
Winn-Lee hasn't see the Rebuilds, possibly Swaysey too as at one point he thinks everyone is talking about the Netflix dub
Greenfield can do a pitch-perfect Eva-01 roar on request
Winn-Lee still repeats the myth that Anno did EoE out of spite to the complaining fans as truth.
Some or all of them have seen Gigguk's EVAbriged series.
Some stuff about the Spencer/Grant once-lost-now-found AIDS PSA.
ADV fought Gainax on making the same changes to the ADV dub that Khara would insist on for the Netflix Dub/3.0
Winn-Lee went to hospital from burn-out after finishing the original dub.
They still don't know what the hell is going on in the Rebuilds.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Evangelion Original English Dub Cast Reunion at Delta H Con 2019.

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:01 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Amongst Things covered:
They all hate the Netflix Dub and the second 3.0 dub
Winn-Lee hasn't see the Rebuilds, possibly Swaysey too as at one point he thinks everyone is talking about the Netflix dub
Winn-Lee still repeats the myth that Anno did EoE out of spite to the complaining fans as truth.

Not to be too bitter here, but I'm quite frankly not surprised. All of them are way too entitled about the old dub and view it as some sort of sacrilege that anyone but them could possibly voice the character that they stake their entire identity on.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Tiffany Grant seems to be the only one dropping nuggets of truth, but that's only because she speaks only of things with which she's had direct contact. (I love that AIDS PSA story.) But, yeah, I actually can't last through this video in tis entirety. I'm having to watch through it in smaller chunks.

At least Matt Greenfield knows enough to rebuttal the "Anno ran out of money" myth regarding the show's ending.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:01 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqL68wSbvN4

Hour-long panel from last year. Grant, Spencer, Greenfield, Swaysey, Winn-Lee and (via skype) Keith-Shipp.

Amongst Things covered:
They all hate the Netflix Dub

Well, it's leagues better than theirs.

ADV fought Gainax on making the same changes to the ADV dub that Khara would insist on for the Netflix Dub/3.0

Changes like having voice actors who can act?

Winn-Lee went to hospital from burn-out after finishing the original dub.

From playing Rei? She plays Rei, FFS. Or did she get burn-out from the heavy burden of playing Pen Pen?

(I'm aware she did more than just voice act for it, I'm kidding.)

They still don't know what the hell is going on in the Rebuilds.

I'm on the same page with them on that, at least.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:34 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Well, it's leagues better than theirs.

As someone who watched the ADV dub as their first experience (although I prefer the original Japanese) I kind of get the opposite impression from the Netflix dub. The efforts for increased faithfulness to the original script are nice, but the actors just aren’t as good as in the ADV dub. It’s a subjective thing though.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm

That's because the Netflix dub is Gainax/Khara-mandated

The ADV sounds more natural, but that's because the voice-actors were goofing about half the time.

Be fair, the core cast do a more than capable job after some wobbles in the first couple of eps. Not for nothing is EVA one of the few series that is closely associated with it's English Dub case. Don't judge everything based on a baseline standard of EoE Hyuga or "My God, it's an anti-AT Field..."

From playing Rei? She plays Rei, FFS. Or did she get burn-out from the heavy burden of playing Pen Pen?

There's a bit more than that. It's no secret that back in the day she... and let's try and be polite here....worked hard and played hard.

You know about *that* convention cosplay competition video right?
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”