Space Battleship Misato-AAA Wunder and 'remaking' Evangelion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Lacissal
Lilith

Space Battleship Misato-AAA Wunder and 'remaking' Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 am

This is partly something I've been thinking about for a while, and also inspired by recent posts in the Shin Eva Official social media thread about both i) the purpose of the time-skip between 2.0 and Q and ii) Anno's desire to see different interpretations of Eva, like with Gundam.

The references to Nadia in Q have been well discussed- Misato and Akagi, the Wunder launch sequence, NERV hq as a inverted pyramid atop a column, as well as music taken from Nadia, but Q and Final mark more than just references, but a fundamental shift in Eva's structure, from the classic Mazinger-like 'weekly monsters attack the advanced research facility where the robots are based' to the structure of shows like Nadia, the Solo ship in Ideon, Macross, Space Battleship Yamato (Misato's desire to see 'the red oceans turned blue again' and de-coreification are a lot like the Cosmo Cleaner from the first series of Yamato) or the White Base and Argama in the original UC Gundam series- where the protagonists are in command of a ship, fitting a series of running battles and exploring vs a more traditional set of antagonists- all shows either Anno has worked on or cited as major influences.

If you wanted to reinvent Eva, a way that would be both radical but also 'classical' would be to transpose it's setting or series 'scheme' to one like these classic ship-journey anime. Plus Anno really, really likes ships.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Space Battleship Misato-AAA Wunder and 'remaking' Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm

I can see where you're coming from with this, definitely. Anno is a huge nerd for all sorts of stuff, and we know for a fact that he has seen most of these, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did something of the sort.
Although I personally feel like that if Anno were to do something like it, it would tonally fall less into the traditional "road trip in a warship" storyline, and moreakin to something like Gundam 00 or Knights of Sidonia that emphasizes the vast loneliness of space over the prospect of going somewhere specific with the ship
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”