Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:15 am

I can imagine a xmas day opening of Shin Eva, but in reality xmas day is a normal day in Japan, they don’t celebrate Xmas, they do however feast on a lot of kfc lol legit.

But I think we are heading for a January 1st opening from the looks of this. New Year’s Day, new year, new eva

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:38 am

intermediateO wrote:And definitely my biggest disappointment about Anno is that he basically pulled a Miyazaki with Khara, where instead of creating a place that fosters new talent and pushes the industry and medium foward, it is just a glorified echo chamber for the studio head.

I'm hopeful Khara won't be like Ghibli and just end up being "The House of Anno". The Animator Expo project gives me hope the plan at Khara is to eventually foster new works from the team after Thrice Upon A Time is finished. They were a completely new studio when they started the Rebuilds so everyone was fully focused on those first three movies back at the start - and those first three came out pretty quickly one after another all things considered. Things must have gotten disarrayed when instead of jumping right into Final back in 2013/2014 Anno took some time off to do Shin Godzilla but it was good to see instead of telling everyone to go find work elsewhere for a while Khara financed the Animator Expo to let the artists do their own thing and then later The Dragon Dentist mini-series.

With Toho & Toei on board for the last film - does anyone know if they are they just distribution or have they pitched in on budget? - 3.0+1.0 is likely Khara's first time working directly with the two biggest names in the business so it makes sense to have all hands on deck for that one.

We do know from that Lantern festival that Khara has SOMETHING else in production after 3.0+1.0 & Shin Ultraman set for a 2022 release (this was pre-Covid so who knows now). Like Shin Ultraman that may just be something he wrote the script for or may just be something he's only producing.

I guess we'll know what Khara is the year or two after Rebuild finishes. Once the big all-hands-on-deck final Eva is finished we'll see if Khara keeps being solely dedicated to Anno projects or if they'll be able to really diversify and expand by doing TV series, films and even shorts concurrently. That would be awesome! And hopefully no other Eva projects. Just 100% original works.

But I'm an optimist. Even in the year 2020.

Last thought: I'm not an economist but I do know the Economic Calendar in Japan begins on April 1. In 2015 when Toho announced Anno & Shinji Higuchi were doing a Godzilla film everyone thought it was an April Fools joke but it was really a way for Toho to start building hype/boost their stock prices. If Toho, Toei, Khara, whoever, wanted to recoup money lost in the 2020 calendar and make their financials for the year look a little sexier getting the final Eva - which was likely their hopeful BIG release of 2020 - out in theaters before April 1, 2021 would be a way to do it. I still think June 2021 is the likely new target but you never know.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:26 am

I doubt Anno wants khara to be just his work, but they gotta finish Eva still.

Remember that during the making of these films, tons of khara staff is learning the craft.

And I would love to see more Eva done by other directors. Like something huge, TV or film. I don't want to see only Eva from khara, but I think it'd be a shame to not use this franchise (quality could vary but it's worth the try). Ithink this is what Anno meant with those Gundam comparisons.
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:35 am

According to the tweet announcing this 4D rerun, 82 theaters nationwide will be participating and showing the movies. Are they all owned by Toho? And besides, isn't Japan still in lockdown? I did hear cases there are starting to increase.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

intermediateO
Lilith

Postby intermediateO » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:08 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:According to the tweet announcing this 4D rerun, 82 theaters nationwide will be participating and showing the movies. Are they all owned by Toho? And besides, isn't Japan still in lockdown? I did hear cases there are starting to increase.

Lockdown ended back during Summer, and reported cases have plateaued for the past few months.

And the showings aren't Toho only, which lucky me, cause I much prefer United Cinemas anyways.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:11 pm

View Original PostintermediateO wrote:Lockdown ended back during Summer, and reported cases have plateaued for the past few months.

Really? Damn. It's not a surprise to see Japan do better than most of the world right now.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:17 pm

According to Twitter JPN, the Toho mobile app is facing multiple technical problems in regards to ticket reservations for the Evangelion reruns. The number of people waiting for the ticket reservations in the app is, apparently, reaching the 100k mark. Not to mention a few more bugs in the app that's messing with customer service.

Honestly, this just shows how much demand there is for 3+1.
EDIT: Turns out it's not reservations for 4D Evangelion, but for Kimetsu no Yaiba. Now I'm curious, if TOHO can't handle massive ticket reservations without having their websites breaking apart, how will they even manage to make the reservations for a franchise as huge as Evangelion? The demand for the movies are big, and if they can't handle reserving tickets for a movie that isn't Eva without having a buttload of problems, who knows what's going to happen when December rolls around, and when everyone starts paying for tickets? Their online services will break themselves apart, without a doubt.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:15 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:According to Twitter JPN, the Toho mobile app is facing multiple technical problems in regards to ticket reservations for the Evangelion reruns. The number of people waiting for the ticket reservations in the app is, apparently, reaching the 100k mark. Not to mention a few more bugs in the app that's messing with customer service.

Honestly, this just shows how much demand there is for 3+1.
EDIT: Turns out it's not reservations for 4D Evangelion, but for Kimetsu no Yaiba. Now I'm curious, if TOHO can't handle massive ticket reservations without having their websites breaking apart, how will they even manage to make the reservations for a franchise as huge as Evangelion? The demand for the movies are big, and if they can't handle reserving tickets for a movie that isn't Eva without having a buttload of problems, who knows what's going to happen when December rolls around, and when everyone starts paying for tickets? Their online services will break themselves apart, without a doubt.

Services won't break for re-releases of old movies. They broke for the most anticipated movie in Japan this year of course, but they'll be fine otherwise.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:31 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:And I would love to see more Eva done by other directors. Like something huge, TV or film. I don't want to see only Eva from khara, but I think it'd be a shame to not use this franchise (quality could vary but it's worth the try). I think this is what Anno meant with those Gundam comparisons.

Yeeesss, gimme them Eva AUs.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:01 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'm hopeful Khara won't be like Ghibli and just end up being "The House of Anno". The Animator Expo project gives me hope the plan at Khara is to eventually foster new works from the team after Thrice Upon A Time is finished.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I doubt Anno wants khara to be just his work, but they gotta finish Eva still.

Remember that during the making of these films, tons of khara staff is learning the craft.

And I would love to see more Eva done by other directors. Like something huge, TV or film. I don't want to see only Eva from khara, but I think it'd be a shame to not use this franchise (quality could vary but it's worth the try). Ithink this is what Anno meant with those Gundam comparisons.

Animator Expo already gave us a lot of cool, new ideas within terms of other possible future Khara projects, and even what Evangelion would look like under different directors. I think those were actual attempts of Khara trying find some new, original IP and actually test the waters of producing Eva works through the hands of different directors. From what we saw, it's all very promising and I'm seriously hopeful for the future.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:25 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Animator Expo already gave us a lot of cool, new ideas within terms of other possible future Khara projects, and even what Evangelion would look like under different directors. I think those were actual attempts of Khara trying find some new, original IP and actually test the waters of producing Eva works through the hands of different directors. From what we saw, it's all very promising and I'm seriously hopeful for the future.

Yeah, I think the animator expo is a little underrated.
It spawned the Gridman anime, the Dragon Dentist anime, Me!Me!Me! was huge (and its director has gotten a lot of visibility), etc.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:57 am

I'd argue the very fact that Anno wants other directors to do Eva (which will remain a crucial part of Khara's output and even identity according to him) shows that he doesn't want to have Khara be the "House of Anno".

What I'm more interested in is the amount of non-Anno and non-Eva works that Khara is going to have. The Animator Expo shows he's interested in that too, but how much will we have those when Eva is supposed to be the No. 1 priority is an intriguing question.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:56 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Yeah, I think the animator expo is a little underrated.
It spawned the Gridman anime, the Dragon Dentist anime, Me!Me!Me! was huge (and its director has gotten a lot of visibility), etc.

You forgot the biggest one: Yuri on Ice

Ep 28 of the Expo, Endless Night was Sayo Yamamoto's tech test and marketing pitch rolled into one.

The Animator Expo is SUPREMELY underrated and it's kind of a shame the website was taken down.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:08 pm

I totally forgot that Yuri on Ice came from Animator Expo. A friend of mine made me binge the whole show with her in one day, and it was pretty good. I don't know if I had the energy to watch it all day like she did, but I enjoyed the show nonetheless. -o-;

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:05 pm

I finally updated the OP after procrastinating for months, I hope it gets outdated soon like the last time (delay was announced 9 days after my last update -o-; )

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You forgot the biggest one: Yuri on Ice

Ep 28 of the Expo, Endless Night was Sayo Yamamoto's tech test and marketing pitch rolled into one.

The Animator Expo is SUPREMELY underrated and it's kind of a shame the website was taken down.

Oh man, true.
All of that seems so distant now that I forgot.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:01 pm

NEW RELEASE DATE
https://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/ ... ws062.html
January 23, 2021. New trailer too.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Blockio » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:11 pm

Let's goooooo hype time!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:11 pm

I made it happen folks, thank me later :asukahearts:

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I finally updated the OP after procrastinating for months, I hope it gets outdated soon like the last time (delay was announced 9 days after my last update -o-; )

On Discord

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 pm

Which discord

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”