NINTENDO 3DS

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

I might get one for my birthday, none of the titles so far makes me want to buy one. The new Resident Evil game, OOT remake, and Snake Eater 3DS are the only games for the 3DS that I care for so far.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but honestly for this one I think I'm going to hold off on buying for as long as I can. There are a few reasons for this:
1) there look to be some potentially significant drawbacks with the first hardware model, none moreso than the limited battery life. The battery longevity was always one of the DS's biggest advantages over the PSP, so I'm disappointed to see that the 3DS is not following up on this. I've heard that it will be possible for third-party manufacturers to create alternative batteries for the system, though, so if I do end up buying a generation 1 model it will almost certainly be once something like this is available.
2) Software, duh! Any Nintendo fan knows that it's all about the games. And so far the 3DS barely has anything to offer on that front. Pilotwings Resort, Steel Diver and even Super Street Fighter IV are all basically $40 tech demos. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars and Dead or Alive Dimensions (the latter of which isn't even out yet) interest me somewhat, but nowhere near system-selling levels. In terms of upcoming games, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked is... well, Shin Megami Tensei, but again, not system-seller material, especially since it's just an enhanced port of a two-year-old DS game. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a game I still consider my all-time favorite, but I already have three bloody editions of it (including Master Quest), and the 3DS version looks to add nothing other than enhanced graphics and a streamlined touchscreen interface. Not until Paper Mario, Metal Gear Solid, and the not-confirmed-but-probably-going-to-happen Persona 4 come out are there going to be any games on the system that will seriously tempt me to overlook point #1 and drop $250+ dollars on it. Don't get me wrong, I will inevitably get the system at some point, and I have no doubt that there will be tons of terrific games released for it within its lifetime, but right now I'm not seeing too many.
3) ...honestly? I can't afford it. I'm damn near broke. Most of the money I do have is probably going to end up going toward buying games for the systems I already have, never mind a whole new one.

@JUSTINBAILEY: I liked (didn't love) Phantom Hourglass, partly because it was a followup to The Wind Waker, one of my favorite games in the series, and partly because, at the time, the whole touchscreen interface was legitimately novel and intriguing. I HATED Spirit Tracks, though, to the point that I think it is probably the worst Zelda game I've ever played. Everything about it was bland, rote and uninspired, and the train segments were absolutely excruciating. Really, I've been disappointed with pretty much every new Zelda game since Wind Waker. The series desperately needs to shake things up and try something new, because the old formula isn't just getting worn, it's actually getting worse over time. I really hope Miyamoto and Aonuma follow through on their promises to make Skyward Sword a step in a new direction, but the previews so far have been underwhelming. It's probably the first console Zelda game that I've been lukewarm about.

Now, just to make this topic interesting, let's shake things up a little: What games would you like to see on 3DS? For me:
- The aforementioned Persona 4 enhanced port. Persona 3 Portable is extremely fun, and I've heard that P4 exceeds P3 in every way conceivable. And I don't want to play Persona on a console, no way I'd have the patience for all that grindy dungeon-crawling if I couldn't do it on the bus, in the bathroom or whilst watching TV.
- Grasshopper Manufacture (the folks behind the inimitable Killer7 and No More Heroes) have already pretty much confirmed that they're working on something for the 3DS. Whatever it is, I hope it lives up to their pedigree of delicious insanity.
- Speaking of which, a remake of Killer7 would be wonderful, because let's face it, that game was not complete.
- A new Baten Kaitos game, or some spiritual successor therein, would just make my day. The only way those games could look more beautiful is with some of that stereoscopic 3D applied to their exquisite prerendered backgrounds. Really though, I'd be happy just to see any Monolith Soft game making it overseas at this point.
- Ground-up remakes of Xenogears and Chrono Cross. Hey, a man can dream, can't he?
- Something by Starbreeze Studios. Anything, really. I totally dig those guys.
- That Final Fantasy VI remake that FREAKING EVERYONE WANTS (note to SquEnix: if you want to try a remake of VII or an enhanced port of X or XII, I'd be fine with that too)
- A new Tactics Ogre and/or Final Fantasy Tactics game. PLEASE.
- A sequel to Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, this time with more better graffiks, more strategic gameplay (less of all that randomized nonsense) and, I dunno, SpotPass demon-trading?
- A new version of either Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles or Zelda: Four Swords. Where else am I supposed to get my co-op adventuring hijinks?
- A new Castlevania - because no handheld system would be complete otherwise. Fortunately, this one's been all but confirmed by Koji Igarashi.
- A new Metal Gear Acid. God, how I loved Metal Gear Acid.

That's just a smattering. Obviously I would also like to see tons of new IPs that take advantage of the system's unique functionality, but hey, start with what you know right?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Re: NINTENDO 3DS

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54191058
And the 3DS finally rests.

Got my special Fire Emblem: Awakening model back in 2013 and the console was an absolute joy all the way up until its retirement in 2018.
Three Fire Emblem games; a bunch of Phoenix Wright and Prof. Layton games as well as their crossover; the Zero Escape series; Smash Bros; and backwards compatibility allowing me to continue playing the best TBS game ever made- Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

I must have used the 3D feature twice; once to confirm that I don't want it, and again when I accidentally mistook the slider for the volume.

Hoping the Switch has just as long a lifespan.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

glitz2hard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby glitz2hard » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:56 pm

it's SUPER strange seeing people getting hyped for the 3ds in 2011 on this forum. how time flies...

Monarch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Monarch » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:09 am

Has it really been 10 years already?! I swear I was hyped af for its release like a week ago.
You’re Loved

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:30 pm

Oh wow, that made me feel ancient. Was right around that mark when I got into console games, too, so that hits double for me
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri May 20, 2022 8:15 am

You chums better start buying, the 3DS store is gonna stop accepting credit card purchases on Monday.

I did my shopping weeks ago. No regrets.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”