Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

This is a forum for general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion. Chit-chatty conversations like "Pen-Pen is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" also belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Derantor
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Oct 20, 2019
Location: Floating around Tokyo 3
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Derantor » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:44 pm

I'll ignore the manga things, since they don't belong to the series at all.
So he probably convinced Shinji who convinced Misato.

I highly doubt that. Kensuke trying to get Shinji to do something? Possible. Shinji going up to Misato saying "Hey, can my best buds please come onto that secret mission I knew nothing about in advance, and, uhm ... nevermind, I'm far too shy to do that actually." Misato arranged the whole deal, Kensuke just got lucky because he was Shinji's friend, but had no active part in getting onto that carrier (he didn't even know it was a carrier to begin with - it was pitched to him as a "cruise ship".)

As for the pilots piloting the Eva: Rei does because she is programmed to do it (she's got nothing else), Asuka does it because she has a pathological need to be valuable to people so she won't be abandoned (she answers Fuyutsuki's questions "Do you even know why you pilot the Eva?" with "To defeat the angels?", to which he says: "Wrong! You do it to protect mankind"), and Shinji, well, as has been said, for the approval of his father. None of the characters show much maturity.

Kensuke especially hasn't really understood that whole "War is bad" thing yet. That things have consequences. Hence why he sneaks out. He is a nerd, probably pretty smart, but not mature beyond his peers. Toji shows more signs of maturity during the series. Also, blaming Shinji for not seeking out a psychiatrist at age 14 is a little dubious. Adults often don't do it, especially when they would need one. Add to that the stigma against mental health-care in Japan, and this becomes increasingly ridiculous.

So, can Kensuke/Rei work out? Probably? I don't know what the interesting part of that relationship is, though. There's not much binding them thematically, and theres 0 on-screen chemistry between them to built upon. It's definitely not a case of completing each other or being made for one another.

As we all know, there is only one true pairing in NGE (not NTE): AsuShin Shamshel and Sachiel.

orcot
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:43 am

Shamshel and Sachiel.

You know if I would see that pairing I would read it.

I like leliel especially as you include that he is essential a sea (of dirac)[source the anime] that he has some sort of timeabilities [ReTake doujinshi I gues? Shinji returns in time trough Leliel] precognition and has some trouble expressing himself and often reaims quit for that reason [writters had plannend a encounter between Shinji and leliel but could think off a cool dialigue so the left the episode as is].

The adventures of leliel that the moment unit 01 stepped in him he could see all his futures leading to it's dead.
Leliel being in the dark seeing light at the end of the tunnel with gleaming eyes and claws.
Leliel not seeing any other path out smiles and goes to the light mumbling something that he must have gotten lost.
In the light seeing Yui observing him with a stroller standing in front of a giant plastic bear.
Leleil freezing up with a lot of inner monologues to say something cool
Yui becoming bored sees leliel doom like a moon on a sunny side (a black moon beeing split open by unit 01)
Leliel back alone in the zoo starts exploring for a little while theirs very few people.
Leliel taking a rest on a bank near a icecream vendor proclaims the place is bigger then he tought it would be a small conversation start.
They talk abouth the big object in the skye and what it supposed to mean (leliel body being split open by unit 01.
Leliel says somethings like dangerous is not evil. And uses concept abouth himself that could apply to the ocean. We see Yui sitting at a table nearbye.
Yui invites leliel at her table
Leliel starts telling the story of the arrival of lilith from adams perspective.
Yui and leliel have a conversation leliel believes in predetermination (he can aftherall already see his death). Yui claims she can save everyone this zoo(Unit 01 ark) is big enough to hold everyone.
Some stuff happens and the situation ends up like a date. Perhaps leliel steals the time from Rei when she does a activation test in unit 01 including her in the story perhaps not Shinji remains a infant. With Yui being very protective and letting leliel nowhere near him.

the day becomes evening and semi romantic Yui wants help for her project and leliel see's Shinji with adams wings when he looks at Yui.
Leliel agrees to Yui's request and gives her his heart.

Leliel dies and unit 01 pops back out like in the anime.

Later the event of kaworu happens. In evangelion style in stead of using him as a squeeze toy. Shinji on his knees (inside unit01) swallows kaworu whole (this would be the most eva ending I think). Personally I like the idea of Shinji on his knees removing his breastplate holding Kaworu to his chest and we don't actualy see what happens (did he smush kaworu against his heart, did the reverse happens from when Shinji was trapped in unit 01 afther his fight with zereul up to the viewer to decide).
Anyway kaworu (soul is inside unit 01 and can no longer be revived by seele)
leliel is reunited with it's parent
Unit 01 now containing kaworu's soul and will be able to manipulate the mass produced eva's.
From there it's a open ending Shinji can use kaworu to control the mass produced eva's and fullfill his mothers plans. Or Leliel and kaworu could make a break for it with leliel navigating the dirac sea where unit 04 rest (with shamshels core) and return to the real world.

(no much F*** happens but theirs some romantic moments with the potential of offscreen action.
Maybe leliel and Yui go skinny dipping to symbolize endless possibilities and hope but still under the moon of Leliels death (symbolozing predetermination). not really happy abouth that idea but I like the idea of leliel reflecting both death and hope whilst he gives his heart. Maybe symbolized with a new moon rising?

The problem with the story is that it seems rather visual and I can't possible draw it. Still fun to think abouth.

Zusuchan
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 148
Joined: Jul 23, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 am

Derantor:
Rei wasn't ever given a choice not to pilot the Eva, yes, but she herself said in ep. 6 that it's her ''bond to others''.
orcot:
What you wrote has to be one of the weirdest things to come out of the Eva fandom, which is saying something.

orcot
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Zusuchan:
LOL don't take it to seriously
- bid seriously it would have been nice to see unit 01 be represented as a ark that can house multiple souls (all of humanity to ride out the third impact) as it is essential to understand what even Yui's plan was.
-Leliel is a cool looking angel, who was more dangerous then evil as it never attacked neither the eva's or central dogma.A bid like the sea certainly dangerous if you fall into it.
-Once kaworu died the same should have happend like Rei and he should have been up and abouth before third impact ever happenend unless his soul was captured wich seems within unit 01 capabilities.
(these are some random things that bothers me abouth NGE)

Derantor:
I highly doubt that. Kensuke trying to get Shinji to do something? Possible. Shinji going up to Misato saying "Hey, can my best buds please come onto that secret mission I knew nothing about in advance, and, uhm ... nevermind, I'm far too shy to do that actually." Misato arranged the whole deal, Kensuke just got lucky because he was Shinji's friend, but had no active part in getting onto that carrier (he didn't even know it was a carrier to begin with - it was pitched to him as a "cruise ship".)

Your right weird for Misato to invite those boys afther scolding them for entering a eva and not for example taking them to the hot springs (sandalphon) bringing them would have improved morale and given Shinji a greater incentive to do a good job and not kill the boys. (I know they where on a vacation but still).

As for the pilots piloting the Eva: Rei does because she is programmed to do it (she's got nothing else), Asuka does it because she has a pathological need to be valuable to people so she won't be abandoned (she answers Fuyutsuki's questions "Do you even know why you pilot the Eva?" with "To defeat the angels?", to which he says: "Wrong! You do it to protect mankind"), and Shinji, well, as has been said, for the approval of his father. None of the characters show much maturity.

I don't realy know any military personal but if you asked them: WHy do You do it? And they respond:
To protect home/country/humanity etc (Rei)
To show the world and myself what I'm capable off (Asuka)
To protect those closest to me and make sure they get the proper medical aid (Toji)
To be anyone and not a nobody (Kensuke)... I think I couldn't find the reference I tought he said it in the choice of life but couldn' find it

All these seems acceptable answers, Shinji's because I wan't my daddy to validate me seems to be off.

Kensuke especially hasn't really understood that whole "War is bad" thing yet. That things have consequences. Hence why he sneaks out.

Kensuke lives in Tokyo 3 and with witnissing gahiel has seen more angel attacks then the average Tokyo 3 citizen he also was inside the entry plug during the fight of shamshel and was properly scared. Kensuke is also more aware of all the students that have left because of the attacks then Shinji is. Their experiences are different but he is experiencing it.
Still he is probably still idilizing the situation somewhat. But would quickly tell himself that he is in no greater danger then inside a bunker and try his best.
It makes me sad that they did not show Kensuke's reaction to Toji's lost leg. Regardless of everything

He is a nerd, probably pretty smart, but not mature beyond his peers.

does he realy need to be? He is 14. He has a pretty good grasp on what happens around him and is better informed on what's going on at NERV then Shinji is.

Toji shows more signs of maturity during the series.

All characters show more maturity then Shinji, he is hot blooded and cares a lot for his sister yes and even for Shinji. Kensuke keeps a emotional distance to everyone altough he stil cares.
Emotionally he doesn't understand his own feelings that well, whilst Kensuke have can explain what Toji is feeling better then himself and usualy already has a solution in mind.

Also, blaming Shinji for not seeking out a psychiatrist at age 14 is a little dubious. Adults often don't do it, especially when they would need one. Add to that the stigma against mental health-care in Japan, and this becomes increasingly ridiculous.

Shinji up to the point of Ramiel had been hospitaled 2 times and needed to be reanimated (afther ramiel laser attack). Seeking out a psychiatrist is perhaps a strong word, but doesn't Shinji plays king kong in the movies(climbing on top of the pyramid)
Image afther Toji's death. A less extreme reaction earlier on could have done the trick.
So, can Kensuke/Rei work out? Probably? I don't know what the interesting part of that relationship is, though. There's not much binding them thematically, and theres 0 on-screen chemistry between them to built upon. It's definitely not a case of completing each other or being made for one another.

The interesting part is that they are both introverts living inside their own head and are preoccupied with niche subjects. That said Kensuke is far more Social and can be a bridge between other people and Rei a social catalyst you could say. When Asuka first met Rei and wanted to be friends because it was convenient? Rei responded with only if I'm ordered to. My take on that is that even if she was ordered to Rei wouldn't be able to interact with Asuka. Likewise Asuka was not wrong and whilst her reasons seem selfcentered (convenient) it was honnest and tailered to someone like Rei.

Because honnestly Rei might say she would only be friends with Asuka if she was ordered to even if she was I don't think Rei would be capable to properly interact with her. Kensuke on the other hand might, espeicaly if they can play video games in a non threatening way. Also kensuke's cheerfullnes and Rei's gloomy ness would make a nice contrast

What do you think would be the interesting part of a Shinji/Rei romance I think the idea begins and stops with comfort. Neither Rei nor Shinji grow that much because of their intereactions in the anime (the manga is a different story as their is actual chemistry).
Last edited by orcot on Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 5072
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:34 pm

In the world of You Can (Not) Redo & Thrice Upon A Time Maya Ibuki and Hikari Horaki are married.

We already know Maya "doesn't like young men".

They're in nerdy domestic bliss together. Maya geeks out about techy things and Hikari is a full time doctor and cooks delicious meals. They bring out the absolute best in each other and no one can convince me this isn't canon until Anno and the writers decide to break my heart in the final film by saying otherwise.

Ritsuko realized her mistake not being with Maya when she had the chance but is very happy for her protege and has finally found peace in her work now that's it purely for good. Plus she's still smoking hot - that green plugsuit fits like a glove - so she can always easily pick up a guy or gal working for WILLIE when she feels the need.

Toji... he's coping.

orcot
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:19 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote: so much worse. And what would these ''dumb decisions'' specifically be? Just want to know what you consider the worst of them to be so I can think on it.

One more did Shinji already knew that according to Ritsuke Unit 00 went beserk because of mental instabilities with the pilot. Afther the incident of episode 5, Rei went to NERV for her second activation test. If Shinji assumes she yust has problems expressing herself, their was a significant change she would fail the test again resulting in her potential death.
True this would have turned out negatieve as the test would have been postponend and ramiel would still have shown up. Shinji would still get shot/coocked and Rei would have still have done the test under even greater stress.
Doesn't take away that both the incident and Shinji attacking Rei's pillars of believe happened at the worst possible time (right beforethe her activation test). Whilst most are convincend Rei slapped Shinji because he insulted Gendo theirs a fair decend change she slapped him to shut him up.

Given that Rei makes a sigh of relief afther her activation test is succesful. She must have been anxious to some level.

Zusuchan
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 148
Joined: Jul 23, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:56 am

orcot:
Apologies for taking so long to reply.

I also wouldn't consider Shinji's actions here dumb. He isn't actively thinking here ''I'm going to attack Rei's pillars of faith''. He doesn't even know the full extent of Rei's and Gendo's relationship-he's aware that they have one, one that is deeper than any relationship Shinji can probably ever hope to have with his father (from his point of view) and knows that Gendo is the only person that Rei actually seems to care about. But he's such a nice dude over-all at this point that he wouldn't actively attempt to destruct Rei's beliefs just because-his statement in regards to his amount of faith in his father is rather him telling the truth and when you look at it, you see from his rather emotional reaction that he really doesn't have any faith in him whatsoever.

I agree that Rei was feeling anxious and nervous and that may have played a part in her slapping Shinji, but that probably also has to do with her insane amount of faith in Gendo at that point and the fact that the happenings of the apartment scene made her angry/irritated.

Derantor
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Oct 20, 2019
Location: Floating around Tokyo 3
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Derantor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:33 am

@Orcot: You are expecting levels of knowledge and understand of Shinji far beyond what he's reasonably capable of. Just like Asuka expects him to get her hint that she meant he should have used his trumpet to break down her wall of Jericho and read her mind during the kiss. Rei is the one asking Shinji if he doesn't have faith in his father - he is honest, for once, and gets slapped for it. Attributing malice to him seems out of place.

I also really don't understand why you think Asuka was tailoring her grandstanding in the schoolyard specifically to Rei, or that it betrays a fundamental inability of Rei to deal with Asuka. It was just the opposite in my eyes. She tried to establish herself as the new Alpha-Female in school by "generously" offering her friendship to Rei in front of everybody, flounting her status in the process, while Rei just saw through the bullshit and had no interest at all in playing that game. She literally moves her book out of Asuka's shadow and doesn't comment any other way, as it is nothing but a minor nuisance to her. Disinterest doesn't mean inability, though. And for a Rei-tailored action by Asuka, I'd go with the choice of restaurant.

@Zusuchan: Rei seemed to be completely unfazed by everything going on at her apartment except for Shinji holding Gendo's glasses. She seems to hardly notice Shinji otherwise (just like she ignores Asuka in school), the same when they are on the escalator, where she only truly reacts to him when the topic is Gendo. I can't tell whether or not she was anxious or nervous at all (a reasonable assumption, but Rei doesn't really function in the same realm as other people at that point in time, so I find it very hard to tell what her emotions are*), but it is very clear that she is singlemindedly focused on Gendo at this point.

*Edit: Not saying she doesn't have emotions; she clearly has, and even shows them at points. I just don't know how they map onto reality - so what she is bothered by or isn't, if we can take what she displays on-screen at face-value, etc.

silvermoonlight
Committeeperson
Committeeperson
User avatar
Posts: 1464
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:00 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:In the world of You Can (Not) Redo & Thrice Upon A Time Maya Ibuki and Hikari Horaki are married.

We already know Maya "doesn't like young men".

They're in nerdy domestic bliss together. Maya geeks out about techy things and Hikari is a full time doctor and cooks delicious meals. They bring out the absolute best in each other and no one can convince me this isn't canon until Anno and the writers decide to break my heart in the final film by saying otherwise.

Ritsuko realized her mistake not being with Maya when she had the chance but is very happy for her protege and has finally found peace in her work now that's it purely for good. Plus she's still smoking hot - that green plugsuit fits like a glove - so she can always easily pick up a guy or gal working for WILLIE when she feels the need.

Toji... he's coping.


I'm more curious if they go for Ritsuko/Misato in the final movie just because in the series I heard Anno was going to put in a scene that pointed to these two being more than friends and Kaji coming in was why Ritsuko got so jealous. So I wondered since no one knows what happened to Kaji in rebuild, and Ritsuko and Misato are not as volatile as the series friendship wise that this option might be on the table in rebuild.

Side note from what I've heard no transcript exists from this series dropped scene only a piece of official art. This one is also gaining popularity over in the fan fiction world.

SPOILER: Show
Image
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequal As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 5072
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:28 pm

silvermoonlight wrote:Side note from what I've heard no transcript exists from this series dropped scene only a piece of official art. This one is also gaining popularity over in the fan fiction world.


I love that piece of art and always get a smile when I see it! I of course would be all in on Misato :heart: Ritsuko being canon.
Though I'm like 99% positive Kaji is alive in the world of Rebuild and he'll have a big role to play in the final film. Kaji has always been the one adult in the series who treats Shinji as an equal and answers his questions directly. He's gonna need that in Thrice.

Maybe those Kaji, Misato & Ritsuko are living a happy polygamous lifestyle.

Oh well... we'll find out whenever the movie gets released.

silvermoonlight
Committeeperson
Committeeperson
User avatar
Posts: 1464
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:33 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Maybe those Kaji, Misato & Ritsuko are living a happy polygamous lifestyle.

Oh well... we'll find out whenever the movie gets released.


I'll take that to ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequal As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

orcot
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:56 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I love that piece of art and always get a smile when I see it! I of course would be all in on Misato :heart: Ritsuko being canon.
Though I'm like 99% positive Kaji is alive in the world of Rebuild and he'll have a big role to play in the final film. Kaji has always been the one adult in the series who treats Shinji as an equal and answers his questions directly. He's gonna need that in Thrice.

Maybe those Kaji, Misato & Ritsuko are living a happy polygamous lifestyle.

Oh well... we'll find out whenever the movie gets released.

You know I can't remember when I've last seen a happy trio that isn't a mayor plot of the story this seems fun

Zusuchan
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 148
Joined: Jul 23, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:55 am

Derantor:
I believe Rei was anxious and/or nervous about the upcoming activation test-it didn't go well last time and she doesn't want to disappoint Gendo. I'm also not entirely sure about her being completely unfazed by the happenings in the apartment apart from Shinji holding the glasses. She kind of struck me as a lot more cold and irritated at that time than she was usually. It might have had to do with her always being like that with people she didn't know and who hadn't shown any kind of genuine concern towards her (these points being some of the reasons Rei became friendlier with Shinji and at the end even shifted her loyalty towards him), but I'm not entirely sure. You may be right. I'm too lazy to search for some kind of proof for my theory right now anyways.

Berserker
Embryo
Posts: 32
Joined: Aug 08, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Berserker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:01 am

Oh,come on. The best pair is of course gendo and yui. That bastard (was about to)sacrificed the whole world including his own offspring just to get yui back on his arms :whistle:.Misato and Kaji......yeah,they're good.

And guys,this is a shipping thread in chitchat forum. Do we seriously need to discuss the fuck out of every pairing in this thread? There are individual threads for almost every pairing in discussion thread,i believe. If there isn't,make one pls. Let this one be sarcastic temple for the shippers. Thank you.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman

orcot
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 am

Zusuchan:
I also believe Rei was far more nervous then she looked like. She was on her way to redo a experiment that last time almost killed her. Also afther years of work aiding the development of the E-project she is suddenly placed as second fidle with Shinji getting the kills and Rei being reduced to a spectator (in the manga volume 3 stage 13 La brûlure (this should have been translated to burnwounds how they came up with white scars in english I have no idea). Rei meets Shinji afther he returns afther quiting NERV afther the battle of shamshiel). She tells him she (Rei) is perfectly capable to pilot unit 01. This makes me beleive that she wasn't only fearing to lose her life but lose her position to Shinji as wel.


@Orcot: You are expecting levels of knowledge and understand of Shinji far beyond what he's reasonably capable of. Just like Asuka expects him to get her hint that she meant he should have used his trumpet to break down her wall of Jericho and read her mind during the kiss. Rei is the one asking Shinji if he doesn't have faith in his father - he is honest, for once, and gets slapped for it. Attributing malice to him seems out of place.

Someone is abouth the risk her life have some empathy or shut up I would say. If need be, you can have that conversation afther the test. Shinji was sort of stalking Rei at the moment I believe Rei sort of shut down afther the incident, and only came to herself afther standing for the locked gates of NERV. Shinji clearly said why he was at Rei's apartment but clearly she didn't hear him. It was only for the locked gate she again noticed Shinji was there. Starting then she response she takes her card and if visisble irritated. Then Shinji starts to apologize and Rei having came out of her daze starts responding (S-Look I'm sorry; R-Abouth what?) When before she would not have responded. Then he asks all the wrong questions he aren't you going the reactivation test today aren't you scared I heard you got pretty banged up last time aren't you scared? ... These are all prety mean sure Rei responds with don't you have a faith in your fathers work. Shinji replies aging with all the wrong answers. Then Rei goes right in his face but she only slapped him when he asked what's wrong.


I also really don't understand why you think Asuka was tailoring her grandstanding in the schoolyard specifically to Rei, or that it betrays a fundamental inability of Rei to deal with Asuka.

adressing her as pilot of unit 00 is similar on how Rei adresses Asuka pilot of unit 02 this is a tailerd respons matching a person syntax, her final reasoning become friends because it's convenient is by definition true. While not a great sentence to a average person (she for example did not do this to Shinji) she is fundamentaly right and for someone who acts like a "spock" it makes sence. I don't think their was a other way of wording it that would have worked (better).

I also believe Rei is the most at fault here. Rei respons is basicly If I'm ordered to I will. But do you believe that? I've made a half hearted fan fic where Rei is ordered to go out with Asuka to have fun for a couple of hours. (In the FF Asuka is aware that Gendo sold the core of shamshel to the US and she comes to Japan early and Rei has to keep her away from the people of jet alone). But for the life of me I can't write that and make Rei look like Rei she's yust not capble to interact like that.

In some way they do try. Asuka let Rei choose the restaurant and did not let her sacrifice herself with matariel. Rei tried with Asuka to give advice in the elevator but also before when Asuka went diving Rei was there aswel. Rei would have probably prefered to swim alone she might very well picked that time because Asuka was swimming aswel. (Rei being the silent type wouldn't say it out loud)

Derantor
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Oct 20, 2019
Location: Floating around Tokyo 3
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Derantor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:01 pm

@Zusuchan: Yeah, I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just stating my impressions here, it's not a full fledged analysis of the scenes or anything. ^_^

@Orcot: Eeeeh ... "Hey, you were hurt last time - are you scared to go again?" *concerned face* is hardly mean. It is ... concern. Empathy. He's not standing there going "Hahahahaha, you were hurt last time, you scaared?" Going with her to his workplace when they are both headed there is not stalking, either. Just like falling on her by accident when SHE pushed him and made him lose is balance is not sexual assault. He probably even asked her if he was allowed to accompany her. His honesty is, again, honesty, not him being mean on purpose.
"Do you like carrots?"
"I love them!"
"..."
"What's wrong?"
"MY SON DIED OF A CARROT ALLERGY YOU STUPID INSENSITIVE PRICK!"
"I didn't know that, sorry!"
Wow, how DARE that man who does not know that woman say that he loves carrots? :rolleyes:

adressing her as pilot of unit 00 is similar on to how Rei adresses Asuka pilot of unit 02 this is a tailerd respons matching a person syntax

That's the first time she's seen Rei, and Rei has not adressed her as pilot Soryu a single time at that point. She most likely does it *because* Asuka did it first. You are essentially going under the assumption that Asuka prepared a dossier on Rei beforehand and is now speaking to her how you think one should talk to people on the autism spectrum. Asuka most likely does not even know Rei's name - she had to be introduced to Shinji as well, and only knew him as the Third Children. Asuka is fundamentally disinterested in most people. She approached Rei for one reason only: because she is another pilot, so she's a potential rival that she needs to prove her superiortity to. That's not an honest offer of friendship. Rei was right to refuse it.

her final reasoning become friends because it's convenient is by definition true.

"Hey, I want to have sex with you."
"Why?"
"Because it is convenient."
True by definition, as well. Something that might have worked better is approaching her on equal footing, not with the whole school standing behind her, and saying: "Hi, my name is Asuka Langley Soryu. I heard you are the pilot of Unit 00 - how are you?" Leave out all the "Look at queen Asuka posing in front of half the school while casting a shadow of her greatness on that lower blue-haired creature." (And just in case people get the wrong impression, I'm not bashing Asuka here. It's just how the scene played out.)

Rei's response meanwhile says two things: I am not interested in any shallow "friendship" with you at all, but I will do it if that is a part of my job as a pilot. That says nothing, absolutely nothing, about *how* that potential (forced) friendship will play out. I fully believe that Rei will go to Asuka and say "We are friends now because I was ordered to." I also fully believe that Asuka will laugh in her face, call her a stupid doll and waltz off right after.

orcot
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:19 pm

@Orcot: Eeeeh ... "Hey, you were hurt last time - are you scared to go again?" *concerned face* is hardly mean. It is ... concern. Empathy. He's not standing there going "Hahahahaha, you were hurt last time, you scaared?

the activation test is somewhat analogous to passing a driving exam.
so let's replace the activation test with driving test
S-garbled noises don't you have to redo your driving exam today
S- Aren't you scared Rei?
S...
S- aren't you afraid to step back into the car
R-Why?
S- I heard you where hurt pretty bad in your previous try So I tought you might be...

the point is none of this is encouraging. and would only make peole more nervous.

That's the first time she's seen Rei, and Rei has not adressed her as pilot Soryu a single time at that point. She most likely does it *because* Asuka did it first. You are essentially going under the assumption that Asuka prepared a dossier on Rei beforehand and is now speaking to her how you think one should talk to people on the autism spectrum

Isn't that a normal thing to do? She also gave Rei ample time to come and meet her. Also Asuka is bad at reading Kanji script and she is pretty smart. Recognizing the book Rei is reading has latin script she might have read enough to realize it was a german text this might have been the reason Asuka was standing above Rei as that would be the position she could have seen what she was reading. Realizing that Rei was reading german might have given Asuka false confidence that Rei wished to be aproached.

Asuka is fundamentally disinterested in most people. She approached Rei for one reason only: because she is another pilot, so she's a potential rival that she needs to prove her superiortity to. That's not an honest offer of friendship. Rei was right to refuse it.

Rei is fundamentally disinterested in most people. She approached XXX for one reason only: because XXX is another pilot. Point being the same applies for Rei, she is not innocent in this game. Asuka has far more social contacts outside the pilot bubble then Rei does.

That's not an honest offer of friendship. Rei was right to refuse it.

They are soldiers that need to form a team. Yes as classmates they do not have to interact with each other but as soldiers their live depends on each other

"Hey, I want to have sex with you."
"Why?"
"Because it is convenient."
True by definition, as well. Something that might have worked better is approaching her on equal footing, not with the whole school standing behind her, and saying: "Hi, my name is Asuka Langley Soryu. I heard you are the pilot of Unit 00 - how are you?" Leave out all the "Look at queen Asuka posing in front of half the school while casting a shadow of her greatness on that lower blue-haired creature." (And just in case people get the wrong impression, I'm not bashing Asuka here. It's just how the scene played out.)

The reality is more of we have a draft together, we will work together, we might be housed together, we will definitly fight together, when your in trouble you can count on me if I'm in trouble I need to be able to count on you.
Yes our personalities clash but it would be convenient if we where friends, for the duration of all this.

Derantor
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 310
Joined: Oct 20, 2019
Location: Floating around Tokyo 3
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Derantor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:39 pm

Yes, of course, Asuka moves to shade the thing she tries to read, and places herself at least three meteres away from the thing she's trying to decipher and then decides to approach the person she already approached for entirely different reasons. I'm sorry, I don't know what to say to this anymore. I offered my perspective, nothing more that I can do other than to repeat myself here.

orcot
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:05 am

wel Asuka does seem to like to climb stuff when she first met Shinji she also climbed on top of unit 02 for no reason to show of.
Arguably she could have yust sat next to her and introduced herself and started reading Rei's book when she didn't respond. But Asuka seems mutch to energetic for that.
Also Rei is sitting in a corner with concrete all around her. When she does the same with Shinji (near the pool) their is room to manoeuvre around him. She also starts commenting on the context on the book (heat expantion is a critical part of the story).

In the end
Eva would be boring if their was only one interpretation of a scene
The reason why the entire class came to watch was because they where allready following Asuka she didn't invite them, Also aparently watching a interaction with Rei is seen as entertainment. They probably laughted afther Rei's burn.

Blockio
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 1309
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: vtuber hell
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Orcot, everything you post in this thread is barely comprehensible, scrambled garbage. Do yourself a favor and just stop
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ Joseki
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat and General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests