Kaji

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

AWinters
Adam

Kaji

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 pm

In Kaji's final episode:
He knew that rescuing Fuyutsuki was going to get him killed. What was so important to Kaji about Fuyutsuki's role that he would give his life to get him out of there?

He told Fuyutsuki while he was rescuing him that he just wanted to get to the truth, but he knew he was going to be killed there and then and had no means of telling anyone his findings.
I just doubt he would give his life for a truth that he would have to take straight to the grave. Just didn't make sense to me.

Did Kaji have a preference for how it should all end? Did Fuyutsuki have an important role in that outcome? Or perhaps, was Kaji preventing certain information from being extracted from Fuyutsuki, information that would have given Seele the upper hand?

Theories, anyone?

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Kaji

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:29 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:In Kaji's final episode:
He knew that rescuing Fuyutsuki was going to get him killed. What was so important to Kaji about Fuyutsuki's role that he would give his life to get him out of there?

He told Fuyutsuki while he was rescuing him that he just wanted to get to the truth, but he knew he was going to be killed there and then and had no means of telling anyone his findings.
I just doubt he would give his life for a truth that he would have to take straight to the grave. Just didn't make sense to me.

Did Kaji have a preference for how it should all end? Did Fuyutsuki have an important role in that outcome? Or perhaps, was Kaji preventing certain information from being extracted from Fuyutsuki, information that would have given Seele the upper hand?

Theories, anyone?

I assume that, ja, Kaji was letting Fuyutsuki go so Seele wouldn't gain the upper hand somehow. I don't know if Kaji was actively on Gendou's side, but he probably knew that Gendou and Fuyu were the only ones capable of resisting Seele at that point and that they were planning to do something with Instrumentality other than just basically kill everyone.

I don't think Kaji exactly knew he would die, just that he was absolutely putting himself in the crosshairs and that Seele (who apparently control a lot of Nerv's own intelligence section, which is why Gendou uses Kaji for important assignments) would kill him as soon as they got the chance. As it turns out, they quickly did get that chance.

Kaji Lives Theory  SPOILER: Show
Although with the very ambiguous way his death scene is shot there's no real reason to think that Kaji wasn't the one who fired the gunshot and that he didn't just go into hiding after that to protect Misato.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

AWinters
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:37 am

That's an interesting thought.
Evidence at the start of the episode shows that at the least, he knew he was never coming back.

I think that it's more likely that he was killed because I don't think he could have got away alive after killing a Seele agent.
The sound of a gunshot wound have had him surrounded.

I still don't understand how the hell he even managed to get Fuyutsuki safely to the exist without being apprehended.

Come to think of it: where are Seele? Are they located in a wing of NERV HQ or did Kaji have to infiltrate Seele's own separate HQ to rescue Fuyutsuki?
That was all very unclear to me.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:35 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:I think that it's more likely that he was killed because I don't think he could have got away alive after killing a Seele agent.
The sound of a gunshot wound have had him surrounded.

He does say that he put the guards to sleep, so he probably didn't fire any shots.
It makes sense that he'd stay non-lethal- the guards probably have no idea what they're dealing with. Much like the prime minister and JSSDF in EoE, they've probably been told that Nerv is under suspicion of trying to cause Third Impact, not knowing that the ones who are telling them this are trying to do even worse.

I still don't understand how the hell he even managed to get Fuyutsuki safely to the exist without being apprehended.

Come to think of it: where are Seele? Are they located in a wing of NERV HQ or did Kaji have to infiltrate Seele's own separate HQ to rescue Fuyutsuki?
That was all very unclear to me.

I'm not really sure, and the show doesn't explain much of the geography. When he calls Misato at the beginning of the episode, he seems to be out in the open, pretty far from the city, so it seems likely Fuyu was probably being held at a Seele stronghold somewhere else in Japan. Definitely not main Seele Headquarters though, which I assume is in Germany since that's where Kiel is and the Adam sample was being kept. (I wonder if Asuka ever saw Kiel?)

As for how Kaji got in... he might not have gone in guns-a-blazing. It's interesting that Nerv Intelligence, the Men in Black, tell Misato that they think Kaji is behind Fuyu getting abducted. It could be a lie, but it might also be possible that Seele did order him to help them snatch Fuyu, to prove his loyalty. So Kaji might have entered the base again, to free Fuyu, as a friendly. Once he'd done that though, Seele had proof that he was a traitor to them, and had him eliminated at the next opportunity.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Kaji: Besides, it looks like they'll find out that I diverted the sample of Adam to Commander Ikari, so I have to guard my own interests too, or various bad things will happen.”

I think he means that if Fuyutsuki kept talking they would learn Kaji stole the Adam sample. He interrupted the interrogation before it reached that point.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

glitz2hard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby glitz2hard » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:35 pm

The hiding theory is very valid, and personally was the conclusion I came to on my first watch. In the end, it doesn't matter though, because everybody's LCL now (mostly kidding about it not mattering)
sorry, i'm tired and not making a ton of sense. good night.
why can't anybody write a fanfiction without bad grammar and words they clearly don't understand

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”