Unit 00 rejecting Rei

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

AWinters
Adam

Unit 00 rejecting Rei

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:19 am

With the general implication that Rei I is the soul for unit 00, it got me wondering why Rei I would so violently reject Rei II, but then something occurred to me, so I'd like to run this theory by you.

While Rei I was having her life snuffed out, the final words she heard were: "you're replaceable".
She is then reawoken to find her literal replacement sitting inside her own vessel. She freaks out, throws some punches at the man who replaced her, ejects her replacement and tries to cause distruction to her new form.

I suspect that Rei I may well have been quite jealous when it came to Gendo.
I don't think she was merely repeating "old hag" because she liked the sound of it, she was rubbing it in.
She didn't like anyone getting close to him, she quite liked having Gendo all to herself and intended to keep it that way.
I think this is why she would lash out at Rei II and Ritsuko and even Gendo for replacing her or daring to get close to anyone.

Zusuchan
Adam

Re: Unit 00 rejecting Rei

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:36 am

This makes some sense, but in ep. 14, when the Unit once again goes berserk we get a quick glance at the people on the bridge and you can see that Ritsuko has dark hair, so there's a theory that Rei I thinks Ritsuko to be Naoko and is attempting to get revenge. And in that same episode, she stops throwing punches perhaps because Rei II is standing right there-I don't think she really hates her, as her conversation with the other Reis in ep. 25 is pretty civil. She may have just freaked out at the activation test and not fully understood what was happening. She didn't eject Shinji either, for that matter. (Though he admittedly wasn't close to Gendo at that point). And the ''old hag'' comments are told with an actual smirk, so sadistic enjoyment of Naoko's torment was a bigger factor than I think you're saying.

Also, Rei I being Unit-00's soul is not so much general implication as accepted fact, since there are plenty of hints towards that and there are no other viable alternatives.

AWinters
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:54 am

Personally, I lean more towards the theory that Ritsuko's hair wasn't supposed to be dark in that shot. Everyone was drawn small, grouped together and missing detail, so I don't think there was anything deliberate about her hair colour as it had no reason to look brown. As no other colours were distorted through the glass, I'm inclined to think of her brown hair as a mistake.

I don't think Rei I "hates" Rei II, I just think she would have felt shock, anger and betrayal in that moment and took some of it out on her "replacement" after taking a few shots at the person she felt betrayed her.

Unit 00 learned to accept and work with Rei over time, learning that they were the same, but I imagine there was some initial shock and strong feelings on their first encounter.

Unit 00 accepting Shinji with no problems makes sense anyway. She may see him as part of Gendo, giving her comfort, but she's also confident that Gendo doesn't care more for him than her.

I certainly do believe there was malice in what Rei was saying to Naoko. I believe it was driven by her possessive side that now resides in Unit 00.

orcot
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:43 pm

unit 00 looked in pain to be honnest, Ritsuki mentions instability in the pilot's mind (blaming it on Rei II). perhaps Rei was realy emotional but could not quit show it.

Derantor
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:54 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:I certainly do believe there was malice in what Rei was saying to Naoko.

Hm, I don't think so. Rei I seemed to be far too young to understand what she was actually saying. Having only Gendo to tell her how to behave, she just adopted his speech pattern, not knowing that it's highly inappropriate and hurtful. Her later anger at Naoko I would explain with the fact that Naoko strangled her, and who knows what Ritsuko herself did to her while she was the soul of the Eva. Depending on how dark you want to go, that "armor as restraint" thing can be a literal torture device for the flesh beneath to contain its strength.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 am

I don't quite think that the soul of Zerogouki is Rei I per se (if Rei I is in there, where did Rei II's soul come from?), so much as just another part of Rei- the darker, baser part of her heart that she's buried away to deal with trauma of being murdered. The lower part of the soul- the Id- being like a wild beast is a very old metaphor.

On the first occasion the Eva doesn't try to hurt Rei at all (Rei is injured accidentally, by the eject system activating automatically and being unsuited for the enclosed space), instead lashing out seemingly at random. On the second occassion she does go for Rei, but it's not because she hates her, but because she wants to be reunited with her. This alternates with her outright trying to kill herself by banging her head against the wall, because Rei also has emotions tending towards wanting to die.

Rei is able to pilot the Eva (= master her despair) because she has a sort of faith in Gendou after he rushed to her aid, after she affirms her faith in him by defending him against the boy who insults him (slap-slap). The second time she gets in the Eva, the only thing that's different is that she has his glasses with her- I don't think she had the same sort of strong attachment to him before the incident. Shinji, naturally, doesn't have the same control over Rei's soul, so the Rei-in-the-Eva acts out again.

And ja, I don't think Rei I was really trying to insult Naoko. Maybe she was a little miffed at her, but she was mostly just a little girl sharing what she'd heard.

It's worth pointing out that "old hag" isn't really a perfect translation. "Baa-san" is really just the plain (and so less-than-polite) form of the word for grandmother. So literally it's more like "granny" or "old woman"; translating it as "old hag" is done, I think, to make it clear that this would be heard as insulting.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”