So...thoughts on the Shin Megami Tensei Franchise?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

So...thoughts on the Shin Megami Tensei Franchise?

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:15 am

Well, how do I start this? :uhh:

While I'm technically not a stranger to the SMT franchise (though I'm one of those people who WAS introduced to SMT through the Persona series so uhh...yeah), I was introduced to the franchise as whole through SMTTubers like Nyarly, Fither, and a few hours, but...I just kinda feel like my opinion is kind of...meh because I haven't played ANY of the games (asides from Persona 4 Golden, which I just finished recently on PC, it's...not as good as 3 in terms of everything in my opinion. I still enjoyed it for what it was though. Maybe I just like dark edgy games though.) I saw the Nintendo Mini-Direct announcing SMT V and the SMT III: Nocturne Remaster and I can't WAIT to play those (even better in my case because I got switch and SMT V is a Switch exclusive. ^_^)

So...to keep it short: What are YOUR guys thoughts on the franchise as a whole, not just the Persona series? You guys have a particular series of games you like the most for the franchise or anything?

I dunno, I just wanted to post on here again, haven't had the time to do so because heh...Discord roleplay groups with dramas kind of wrecked everything... :asuka_miffed: )
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Re: So...thoughts on the Shin Megami Tensei Franchise?

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:03 am

I have some experience with mainline SMT (I'm more familiar with spinoffs like Persona and Digital Devil Saga).

-SMT1, SMT2 and IF... (all on Super Famicom) are good if a bit clunky by today's standards (I haven't played them in over ten years, and you'll have to emulate all three; they've never been officially localized).
-Nocturne was very good if very punishing (it was a bit of a wake-up call compared to other JRPGs in the mid-2000s). I do remember really liking it, though, so I'm definitely going to look into the remaster.
-I never played regular SMT4, and only gave SMT4 Apocalypse a few hours' attention. I don't remember why, I was probably working on something I liked more at the time. I recall it being pretty good, though.

That's my two cents, at least.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”