FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am

Hm, seems like I have developed a tolerance. Sure, making Ritsuko into a rapist is not very nice, but I don't sense hatred towards her from the author's side, so character bashing doesn't come to mind, but I'm not that invested in Ritsuko's character. I am only at chapter three, though. So far, it's quite well written and interesting. Edit: Allright, at the end of chapter two he starts with his usual gory antics, which quite frankly add nothing to his stories because it's always so over the top.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:25 pm

He's doing it on purpose. One time, he wrote a sappy and WAFFy AsuShin romance oneshot - and an omake epilogue where Shinji wakes up in the kitchen to the sight of Misato lying in a pool of her own blood and Asuka in the middle of tying a noose around his neck with a cheery grin in preparation for a Kyoko-style murder-suicide.

Followed by the author going 'haha, gotcha, did you really expect anything else from me?' in the end-of-fic notes.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:59 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:He's doing it on purpose. One time, he wrote a sappy and WAFFy AsuShin romance oneshot - and an omake epilogue where Shinji wakes up in the kitchen to the sight of Misato lying in a pool of her own blood and Asuka in the middle of tying a noose around his neck with a cheery grin in preparation for a Kyoko-style murder-suicide.

Followed by the author going 'haha, gotcha, did you really expect anything else from me?' in the end-of-fic notes.

Link? That sounds very peculiar.
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:01 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:He's doing it on purpose. One time, he wrote a sappy and WAFFy AsuShin romance oneshot - and an omake epilogue where Shinji wakes up in the kitchen to the sight of Misato lying in a pool of her own blood and Asuka in the middle of tying a noose around his neck with a cheery grin in preparation for a Kyoko-style murder-suicide.

Even Cats Die was the first and last ones I read of his...he is not a bad writer as writing style goes but his grim dark subject is just not to my taste plus I always view killing pets as a low move done for knee-jerk reaction and I hated it in the manga...

Like the only movie in my view that ever worked on this subject was Ginger Snaps, and it only worked because it was based on the idea that a starving werewolf was on the housing estate eating everyone's cats and dogs and a person was going to be next because it's that hungry and wants something better on the menu..

SPOILER: Show
It's also the reason it dies horribly as its so hungry it runs in to traffic and gets nailed by a van.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:03 pm

It's called Heart Catcher and it's based on the manga continuity.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:It's called Heart Catcher and it's based on the manga continuity.

Oh, I remember that now. That omake looks like it was written deliberately to match long-time readers' expectations rather than as a genuine alternate ending, because it clashes too heavily with the actual story.

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:23 pm

So, finished reading the original Witness. Overall, it was much better than expected, with a surprisingly sweet ending. Well, what I consider sweet, but I guess I am just too jaded overall to make a distinction between bittersweet and sweet. The bad part is the midpoint of the story, where the typical Kadmon mistake of making everybody too vile kicks in. It just makes the story as a whole unbelievable. I just can't get myself to care for his descriptions of violence. The body horror he does is good, but fights or injuries are always way over the top. Not necessarily unrealistic, but just too much for the emotional realm of the scenes they are contained in.

To pick up on something armitakartok said, he explicitely states that he is not bashin Ritsuko in his chapter notes - he thinks that in series, Ritsuko is one of the more well-adjusted characters, and that she is often overlooked for that reason, while he himself is quite fond of her. Huh, I guess defending him makes me a fanboy. A very strange feeling indeed.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Hey, does anyone know of any fanfics where Shinji and Asuka have already met a long time ago and are already good friends by the time they meet on the Over the Rainbow, presumably having maintained long-distance contact by being pen pals? I only know of / found two such fanfics, both of which are over a decade old in terms of both creation and last update and are rather mediocre in writing quality at best: Different Beginnings and Old friends, new enemies. The irony is that each one takes an opposite approach to the other for getting Shinji and Asuka familiar with each other -- the first has Shinji move to Germany after Yui's death and live with Asuka for a few years, while the latter has Asuka move to Japan after Kyoko's death to live with Shinji for a few years -- and neither one really makes sense when you think about it.

John Spangler
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby John Spangler » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:43 am

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:Hey, does anyone know of any fanfics where Shinji and Asuka have already met a long time ago and are already good friends by the time they meet on the Over the Rainbow, presumably having maintained long-distance contact by being pen pals? I only know of / found two such fanfics, both of which are over a decade old in terms of both creation and last update and are rather mediocre in writing quality at best: Different Beginnings and Old friends, new enemies. The irony is that each one takes an opposite approach to the other for getting Shinji and Asuka familiar with each other -- the first has Shinji move to Germany after Yui's death and live with Asuka for a few years, while the latter has Asuka move to Japan after Kyoko's death to live with Shinji for a few years -- and neither one really makes sense when you think about it.

There's Amarantos. It's an AU where Shinji is sent to live in Germany after Yui's death. It's really good.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12332555/1/Amarantos

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 am

I think Beauty and the Beast (BnB for short) on Sufficient Velocity is a bit like that too, right?
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:17 pm

That's Shinji/Mari, not Shinji/Asuka.

Didn't you mean You Should (Not) Sign Weird Contracts? AKA the fic where Shinji and Asuka are childhood penpals and he accidentally sells his soul to her for some chocolate?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:06 pm

May be. It's been a while since I've read either one.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:59 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:That's Shinji/Mari, not Shinji/Asuka.

From what I remember, the premise is that Mari is an adult who is made the legal guardian of Shinji after Yui's death, and introduces the boy to Asuka and her family, so presumably he spends much of his remaining childhood years in Germany.

Didn't you mean You Should (Not) Sign Weird Contracts? AKA the fic where Shinji and Asuka are childhood penpals and he accidentally sells his soul to her for some chocolate?

... Does she have demonic ancestry, or is such soul-selling possible for ordinary humans in this setting under the right circumstances?

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:28 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:From what I remember, the premise is that Mari is an adult who is made the legal guardian of Shinji after Yui's death, and introduces the boy to Asuka and her family, so presumably he spends much of his remaining childhood years in Germany.

...are we talking about the same story? Because from what I remember, Shinji is diagnosed with schizophrenia as a child due to constantly being haunted by visions of canon and Mari becomes his only friend, with their friendship being narratively portrayed as toxic and unhealthy for Shinji.

... Does she have demonic ancestry, or is such soul-selling possible for ordinary humans in this setting under the right circumstances?

They found a joke contract someone uploaded onto the internet and used that, only to find out when they became teens that it was actually very much real as far as certain infernal powers are concerned. So now Shinji is stuck with Asuka owning his soul, rendering him incapable of piloting an Eva by himself and incapable of tasting any food that isn't cooked by her. Sticking him in the same entry plug as Asuka works, but gradually causes the border between their individual minds to blur until they're finishing each other's sentences, doing each other's tic gestures and even sharing sensory information.

Not only that, but Gendo swore the same contract with Yui back in the day and it's now biting him in the ass because he didn't get his soul back when she got swallowed into Unit 01, so his personal AT-field is slowly deteriorating.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:...are we talking about the same story? Because from what I remember, Shinji is diagnosed with schizophrenia as a child due to constantly being haunted by visions of canon and Mari becomes his only friend, with their friendship being narratively portrayed as toxic and unhealthy for Shinji.

This is the one that I'm talking about. Note that I only read the first post (to decide whether or not to put it on my to-read-later list; the decision was "yes", BTW).

They found a joke contract someone uploaded onto the internet and used that, only to find out when they became teens that it was actually very much real as far as certain infernal powers are concerned. So now Shinji is stuck with Asuka owning his soul, rendering him incapable of piloting an Eva by himself and incapable of tasting any food that isn't cooked by her. Sticking him in the same entry plug as Asuka works, but gradually causes the border between their individual minds to blur until they're finishing each other's sentences, doing each other's tic gestures and even sharing sensory information.

Not only that, but Gendo swore the same contract with Yui back in the day and it's now biting him in the ass because he didn't get his soul back when she got swallowed into Unit 01, so his personal AT-field is slowly deteriorating.

Wow, that's very intriguing.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:47 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:They found a joke contract someone uploaded onto the internet and used that, only to find out when they became teens that it was actually very much real as far as certain infernal powers are concerned. So now Shinji is stuck with Asuka owning his soul, rendering him incapable of piloting an Eva by himself and incapable of tasting any food that isn't cooked by her. Sticking him in the same entry plug as Asuka works, but gradually causes the border between their individual minds to blur until they're finishing each other's sentences, doing each other's tic gestures and even sharing sensory information.

...how have I never heard of this one before? It sounds just wacky enough to thoroughly enjoy. Poor Shinji, he sold his soul to Asuka for chocolates.

Actually, now that I really think about it, that doesn't sound that bad. There are certainly worse deals out there than being soul-owned by a feisty redhead.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:04 pm

Anyone remember that really terrible late 90's early 2000's fanfic where the writer placed the characters in the equivalent of a Hilary Duff film and gave them all American names?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:40 am

Looks like Kadmon started working on another project. Let's hope this one doesn't end darkly for no reason.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:54 pm

It's Kadmon, of course it will
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:59 pm

I don't know who hurt that boy but all he knows is dark.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Fanfiction”