Meaning behind Rei's smile in the manga chapter 65

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

Meaning behind Rei's smile in the manga chapter 65

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:52 am

In the manga chapter 63 Rei is penetrated by armisael and has a conversation with the angel (in chapter 64) leading to Rei's death at the end of the chapter (65).
The conversation they have basicly boils down to that her heart is tainted by wanting Shinji only for her own. If it is somehow necesairy to mention Gendo is never named or approached in the conversation. However when Rei selfdestructs to save Shinji the last thing she appears to see is Gendo, why Gendo at this point?
He had nothing to do with the conversation and the physical act of saving Shinji. Also Kaworu started crying but Shinji who was similairy affected did not. This strikes me as weird.
Also the Rei that is smiling appears untainted suggesting that it is actually the angel that's smiling as Rei II is … veiny at this point
(I'm sorry if this had been discussed before) Any toughts?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Meaning behind Rei's smile in the manga chapter 65

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:10 pm

I have no idea what you're getting at.

Yes, Armisael does take Rei's form for the mental conversation; not sure what any of the other stuff has to do with it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:23 pm

have no idea what you're getting at.

Yes, Armisael does take Rei's form for the mental conversation; not sure what any of the other stuff has to do with it

Do you own a copy of the manga (it's in volume 10)
Armisael does copy Rei but he not only attacks kawory in Unit2 and Shinji in Unit 1. He also holds a conversation with Rei kaworu is also involved to a extenct (he believes he is feeling Rei's love for Shinji).
However the second last page are 4 panels veiny Rei looking down, 2 Veiny Rei looking away from the bomb her attention caught be something else.3 A picture of Gendo ikari without glasses smiling (not from when he opens up her tube).4 a normal Rei with tears in her eyes smiling. Last page is yust the explosion

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes, I have read the manga. But I still don't know what any of this is supposed to mean?
Armisael invades 00, and attacks 01 and 02 in an attempt to invade them as well. Armisael is exploring Rei's psyche in the mean time, and when Rei self destructs, she recalls the few pleasant memories she has.

I have no idea what the intent of your question is
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Yes, I have read the manga. But I still don't know what any of this is supposed to mean?
Armisael invades 00, and attacks 01 and 02 in an attempt to invade them as well. Armisael is exploring Rei's psyche in the mean time, and when Rei self destructs, she recalls the few pleasant memories she has.

I have no idea what the intent of your question is

Armisael mentions a few event to proof his points to Rei, when Rei set's the bomb arguably the only thing she sees in Gendo (not Shinji). Also Rei not being Veiny sort of suggest it is Armisael who smiles, but that sounds absurd.
Also the scene with Gendo without glasses is not from volume 3 chapter 13 when Rei has her fall in their Gendo's vest is open, in Rei's final image his vest is closed.

The intent of the question is that it's a weird scene, it had nothing to do with the conversation it undermines Rei sacrificing herself to save Shinji, Kaworu says he could have used his own AT field to push the angel out indicating that Rei could have done so aswel so I get why he calls her stupid aftherwards or it could have been abouth her love for Shinji that he was forced to feel.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:39 pm

It was basically kept the same as in the anime even if the rest of the dialogue/sequence is somewhat altered
For all that the manga added many nice moments 6 concerts to the mythos, when it comes to this particular scene I personally like the one in the anime better; I think it's clear enough without being hamfisted and gets down to the pure essence of the matter - the loneliness, the low-level wish for connection that maybe wasn't consciously pursued but always welcomed, the sort of temptation Armisael presents by offering to fuse them all together, the realization that she actually does want to keep her existence, but consciously gives it up regardless cause she will not have her wish at the cost of them all becoming Armisael goop,which is very different from all the times before when she simply didn't place all that much value on her existence. When she jumped in front of danger earlier it was simply part of the job description; This, however, is specifically to protect her comrades especially Shinji.
- and of course the mystery of what Armisael itself was planning, was it maybe also lonely and was that tower like formation an attempt to resurrect its siblings? I think some of the additional dimension gets a bit lost.
And I never really vibed that whole "jealousy as evidence of love" trope, jealousy, for me, is evidence of insecurity not love. People are jealous of their siblings all the time that doesn't mean they want to boink the parents, it means they're not emotionally mature. Of course a bit of insecurity is only human but there should be some awareness a mature person would communicate clearly what their stance of monogamy is, trust their partner to honor that and, if they're not honored, get angry at the cheater not jealous at the cheat-ee.
It seems like using a common tool/trope that is frequently taken to say 'A' without thinking if that's how this character in particular would actually go about saying it, though I get the theoretical rational behind, say, having her show human weakness including what's typically considered an 'ugly' feeling.

As for the actual flash itself, I always took it to mean that she had some sort of realization about Gendo at that moment (especially since the anime version has her eyes slightly widening here and crying a lil bit more) , like specifically a sudden thought that just occurred to her like, "I never once thanked him for giving me my life and now I can't do it" or "He will just warm up the next clone and no one will notice I'm gone", or if you chose to interpret them as more continuous, it might be some variant of "The next soul transfer is gonna suck and all this suffering loneliness and unfreedom will just continue"

I don't think it necessarily undermines anything; You can think of multiple ppl that were important to you when you're about to die, and it's specifically set up as some last minute "o crap" thought.

Though i admit that it muddles the sequence a bit just to be congruent with the anime, since Rei keeps monologuing on non-Gendo related stuff on the first page of the next chapter before she finally blows up, (I did like that panel with the outstretched arms like - that did tug at the heartstrings and make it more dynamic) so I suppose the Gendo sequence stands out as a bit of an artifact there and maybe Sadamoto should've just gone straight to his new monolgue.

As for why Kaworu starts crying etc. it's probably simply cause he had been affected by Armisael's fusion attempts for slightly longer than Shinji was.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:28 pm

wow you tell it nicely

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”