Is penpen Misato's mom?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

Is penpen Misato's mom?

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:56 am

Penpen is a fun pet in the show, however he is genuinly quit intelligent.
More intiligent then any real bird, he reads newspapers, watches tv etc

I also don't remember it's gender ever being revealed.
Penpen was a medical experiment for a organisation that ultimatly is famous for putting the souls of death mothers into cybernetic organismes.
Penpen with it's backpack (and metal claws) is most probably some form of cybernetic organisme.

What are the changes that penpen bizar behavior is the result of having a human soul?

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Is penpen Misato's mom?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:43 am

orcot wrote:What are the changes that penpen bizar behavior is the result of having a human soul?

Considering that PenPen is completely different in nature to Evas, from an unrelated research facility and there being no indication of it in either lore or subtext - absolutely zero
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:19 am

Considering that PenPen is completely different in nature to Evas

Both eva's and penpen are cyborgs. I grant you their a pretty big difference but still.
Adding a sould to something looks like the sort of project that would have been developed parralel to the eva's and experimented with on something cheaper then a eva on let's say a penguin

from an unrelated research facility

I tought Penpen is NERV property that would have been euthanised because they where done with it. Even if it is not stated directly how else would Misato get a hold on what is essentialy medical waste from a outside firm

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:18 am

View Original Postorcot wrote:Both eva's and penpen are cyborgs. I grant you their a pretty big difference but still.

That's not the part that matters tho, at all. Most of the implants actually serve to limit the Eva's power, not to give them their powers. From all that we know, Penpen was born naturally, so already has a soul and as such no place for another at least not in the old canon; also Evas are explicitly also human, which is the very thing that makes the contact experiment possible in the first place
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:40 pm

That's not the part that matters tho, at all. Most of the implants actually serve to limit the Eva's power, not to give them their powers

okay can't realy respond to that they both remain (vastly different) cyborgs.

From all that we know, Penpen was born naturally

In the manga it confirmed by Misato that he was the result of genetic manipulation (altough he is visually confirmed) also clearly a cyborg. Both in the manga as in the anime it is confirmed their is no real-world equivalent to the species. So I believe he is clearly artificial containing multiple species of penguin and suspicious intiligence indicating more.

so already has a soul and as such no place for another at least not in the old canon; also Evas are explicitly also human

Penpen being genetically partially human would also explain some of his behaviour.

Evas are explicitly also human, which is the very thing that makes the contact experiment possible in the first place

Perhaps Penpen is human/eva enough to experiment synchronysing with (it is easier to restrain a penguin then a eva)
it also exlplain the extensive cybernetic implats around penpen spinal region where in a eva the entry plug would be.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:50 pm

View Original Postorcot wrote:In the manga it confirmed by Misato that he was the result of genetic manipulation (altough he is visually confirmed) also clearly a cyborg. Both in the manga as in the anime it is confirmed their is no real-world equivalent to the species. So I believe he is clearly artificial containing multiple species of penguin and suspicious intiligence indicating more.

The manga is its own continuity and carries zero implications for NGE or NTE

Penpen being genetically partially human would also explain some of his behaviour.

Perhaps Penpen is human/eva enough to experiment synchronysing with (it is easier to restrain a penguin then a eva)
it also exlplain the extensive cybernetic implats around penpen spinal region where in a eva the entry plug would be.

Just... no. This is a hack theory with no proof whatsoever, plenty of evidence against it, yet you insist that it has to be true because it's not outright said that it isn't.

I refer to this maxim; this will be my last post in this thread, any further arguing is a waste of time since it's evidently not going anywhere productive.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Misato refers to Pen Pen as "kare" (彼), "he/him". I suppose if anyone knows what Pen Pen is, it would be Misato.

Interesting timing on this thread, though. Mere days ago, I was brainstorming wild possibilities for Pen Pen's backstory and "secret nature" for a sick fanfic of mine. Best I came up with goes something like:

He's "junk stock" from some sort of bionengineering project involving Eudyptes penguins. Nerv's R&T department procured a number of advanced vertebrates with which to conduct experiments in cybernetics and metabiology. (Why? Well, remember what Ritsuko said in episode 13. Sometimes they do shit simply for the sake of collecting data.) Pen Pen's intrinsic, rather limited mental capacity was enhanced significantly by the cybernetics attached to the spine, which are protected within the "backpack". In addition to that, an attempt was made to isolate the Fruit of Knowledge from a human cadaver -- in the same way one might harvest organs -- and transplant it into the bird's soul. Presumably this was successful, and the only reason Pen Pen cannot communicate with us is that he was provided no way to verbalize his thoughts (e.g. a voice synthesizer). Imagine if Pen Pen talked in a robo-voice... It would be like Congo, except with penguins instead of gorillas and a lot cooler.

I wouldn't for a second think that Misato's parents have anything to do with Pen Pen (though admittedly "Pen Pen is Dr. Katsuragi reincarnated" would be an interesting crack fic premise). But on the other hand, there is somebody else with ties to Antarctica and also arguably to Misato, who is the product of genetic mad science and exists upon the verge of two different species... NGE does love its character parallels.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”