Did anything interesting happen on September 13th 2000?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

overthehillsand
Embryo

Did anything interesting happen on September 13th 2000?

•      
  •      

Postby overthehillsand » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:02 pm

Hello there. I have only recently gotten into Eva, so I searched through this forum and found that this website and many of it's users go way back. So my question to users like them, if you don't mind me asking, is did anything of note happen on the canon date of Second Impact? Was there a celebration of any kind? Did a cult form around the date and prepare for the apocalypse? Or anything in between? Thank you.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Did anything interesting happen on September 13th 2000?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:31 pm

I very much haven't been there myself, but from some brief research and general tales I've been told, there wasn't much. I'm not ruling out the possibility that someone somewhere did something like that; if anything I'd say that as much is basically guaranteed, but it for sure didn't catch on or get any sort of bigger attention
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:49 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1999

In the opening episode, set in the year 1999, nuclear waste stored on the Moon's far side explodes, knocking the Moon out of orbit and sending it, as well as the 311 inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha, hurtling uncontrollably into space.

13 September 1999 is the exact date. It's probably a reference to this series.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am

^ Given how much NGE’s opening titles mirrors those of UFO, another Gerry Anderson work, I wouldn’t be surprised. He probably grew up on Japanese dubs of his shows as a kid.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:03 pm

To answer the main question -- if there were any fan-events on the day, they've not left any "legendary fan event" legacy. Japanese records of the day may well have been lost, like much other material has been.

Anno's Gerry Anderson fanboy is on display all over NGE, as can be seen from this picture of young Gendo and Fuyutsuki

and the Space:1999 Eagle spaceship gets an outing in Ha
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”