How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

mikarinuu
Embryo

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby mikarinuu » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:48 pm

It was the day of my sister's graduation and i was alone in the house, just discovered about Evangelion and was crying about how good it looks and that i should watch it asap!! Miss those days! I remember crying about how good it matches my likes in anime haha
I really was born to ship KawoShin

Alexander_the_Less
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Alexander_the_Less » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:47 pm

It was just about a year ago now, maybe a little less, and two of my friends recommended it. They watched the show when it aired on Toonami, saying that it made an enormous impact on their lives.
Of course they sold me when they said it was full of kabbalist symbolism and other esoteric themes.
The show had just shown up on Netflix, and even though I had watched plenty of anime at that time, I was getting excited to dig into classics that were formative for the medium.
It didn't disappoint, as I had good friends to guide me through some of the Netflix translation hiccups, and I decided to watch the original two-episode ending and then watch End of Evangelion. All great stuff, now I find myself rewatching the show and recommending it to people. Even though I joined the club super late, I am glad to have been able to partake in the Eva experience.
“Humans cannot create from nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding on to something. Humans are not gods.” - Kaworu Nagisa

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Alexander_the_Less wrote:Even though I joined the club super late, I am glad to have been able to partake in the Eva experience.

I wouldn't say "super late" is a really applicable concept for this show, much less one that should be any criteria of judgement. As long as people are enjoying it and finding revelations and/or peace with themselves over it, you're just in time for getting into the show.

That being said, welcome aboard!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Alexander_the_Less
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Alexander_the_Less » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:39 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I wouldn't say "super late" is a really applicable concept for this show, much less one that should be any criteria of judgement. As long as people are enjoying it and finding revelations and/or peace with themselves over it, you're just in time for getting into the show.

That being said, welcome aboard!

Great points, both of them. I continually find myself coming back to the show when I'm grappling with myself and the world around me. I'm not sure if I'm able to put my finger on it yet, but everything about Eva feels like it is begging to tell me all of the most important things I need to hear.
And a hearty thank you for the welcome!
“Humans cannot create from nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding on to something. Humans are not gods.” - Kaworu Nagisa

Ridley_Cristão
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ridley_Cristão » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am

My cousin showed me the first 2 episodes and I thought that it was really cool, I barely imagined that it would be so amazing

construct09
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby construct09 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:42 am

Hi all, First post here

Remember seeing it air in Australia for the first time on SBS, must have been 1999 (according to this link)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/1 ... stralia-tv

Been an EVA tragic ever since!

'End of' sealed the deal :bigeyes:

Mihrdat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mihrdat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:28 am

I heard it was a psychological mecha anime that had gnostic/mystical symbolism. I was interested in mysticism, so I gave Evangelion a go (even though I knew that all the symbolism was just a storytelling tool). Didn't get disappointed.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Was browsing on Netflix and came up on it. I was bored and the image of Rei intrigued me, so I searched for it on the Internet and my interest was piqued by the huge swathe of critical acclaim and its stated importance as a cultural icon in Japan. And when I learned that it deals with several psychological issues, I became interested. Also, Hideaki Anno voices the lead character of The Wind Rises, which is a film I'd recently seen and loved and since I had enough time on my hand, I decided to give it a try.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:16 am

∆ Cool that Netflix is really making it so more people discover the show. :)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:04 am

Went to one of my friend's home. Just gaming,heavy music and chills. After some time,he played the obvious cruel angel's thesis. Found it quiet interesting,watched the amv. Brainstormed 3 years about the plot,characters(didn't have a wifi back then). After getting wifi,the first thing i have done this year was watch evangelion. Indeed,a lot of thing matched with my imagination except the angels. Expected those a lot cooler. Still,it's my favourite anime.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

glitz2hard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby glitz2hard » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:01 pm

I was researching Gundam, which my friend told me about, and also dark anime. NGE kept popping up. Then, I saw that picture of Rei in front of the moon, and the aesthetic was so awesome that I decided to binge the entire thing.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 pm

watched it as a kid thinking it was a children's cartoon :facepalm:
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Grahsrihajul
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grahsrihajul » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:27 am

A friend mentioned it some time during the late 90's (can't remember exactly when) but didn't say much. When I went to the mall after that i found they had a few of the VHS tapes of the show. So I bought a couple. Eventually I bought all four that they had and really wanted to see more.

Okay, look, here's the thing.. I really did want to give them my money, and I have many times since then... But I just couldnt find the VHS anywhere so I kinda pirated the rest of the series. (Also, I think I couldnt find them because they didn't exist yet. This was *really* early on) But since I did so using late 90's internet, I think I've more than earned a pass on it.

Anyway.. That's pretty much it. Friend randomly mentioned, I bought the white VHS tapes and liked it. And I became much more interested as soon as everything started going poorly. Didn't see that coming from those first eight episodes. The tone shift is super fast.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:00 am

They played samurai X on tv and I liked it, their was a anime store that had the manga in antwerp they also had neon genesis evangelion so early days somewhere before the milenium. I showed them to my girlfriend in the early 2000.
It's weird so few mention reading the manga before watching the show, the manga at least was a lot more easy to find then the anime

Luminar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Luminar » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:02 pm

As I recall, I first saw the ADV dub back when I was a kid on Cartoon Network, and something about episode 1 just instantly appealed to me. Been a fan ever since, rewatching the series every few years.

More recently, I forced some of my friends to binge the series and EoE again with me As part of our anime watching hangout. They both liked it. One of them prefers Congratulations and thinks EoE is a spite cut. The other likes EoE better than EoTV.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:02 pm

More recently, I forced some of my friends to binge the series and EoE again with me As part of our anime watching hangout. They both liked it. One of them prefers Congratulations and thinks EoE is a spite cut. The other likes EoE better than EoTV.

I think they are all valid endings, but I don't think you get to look for spite from the creator EOE was more action oriented likewise The manga's ending is also different and certainly worth a read (it also a bid weird and contradicts itself)

walucigi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby walucigi » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:01 pm

i quite honestly don't remember :???:
Last edited by walucigi on Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
currently: @ school
they or he / “get in the fucken robot Shinji!”

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:36 pm

I was on a discord sever with a bunch of people who kept alluding to it and all agreed it was really good. Eventually I decided to watch it for myself, it was the first anime I'd watched in a while at that point I think.
we are many, but you are alone

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 pm

I first watched Evangelion this July. I heard it was really good, and quarantine meant I had nothing better to do, so I watched it. I did a marathon of the whole original show in about 9 days, going 3 episodes at a time, and ended up really liking it. After that, I took a break to watch Cowboy Bebop for the first time (also great btw), and went back to watch the Rebuild movies. I thought they were okay, but not as good as the original show. Maybe the final movie will change my mind though.

On another note, I watched the show first with the original English dub. I didn't really have any problems with it, but after hearing people say the original Japanese version is better, I'm currently rewatching it in Japanese. I have to agree that it's much better than the dub, but I don't hate the dub at all. From what I've heard of the newer Netflix dub though, I don't like it at all. It sounds way too stilted and unnatural.

tsuchi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tsuchi » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:02 am

The first time I heard about Eve was when my friend and I watched all sorts of funny videos, and there I heard an intro from Eve, but the first time I watched Evangelion was 5 or 6 years later in May 2020.
Rei is my waifu

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”